Airbus A380

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

What an amazing piece of aircraft that is.

For the first time ever the aircraft flew into Scotland today doing an approach then take off from Edinburgh Airport before heading off to Prestwick Airport near Glasgow. The aircraft is so big that it couldn't land at either airport.

I actually knew this was going to be happening for a few days, but wasn't expecting to see it because i was going to be indoors at work all day. It was just by chance that i happened to be outside at the time of it flying overhead and realised how big the aircraft actually is. It's HUGE!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8239283.stm

I remember people telling me where they were when they saw the first Conchord flight in the UK, so this is my equivlent. Pretty funny in that i was also just next to Sydney airport at the time the Airbus A380 was leaving Sydney Airport for Singapore on it's first ever return flight back in 2007.

I'm not a big geek when it comes to aircraft or anything, but i can appreciate some amazing engineering when i see it.

Check out how big that is compared to the aircraft behind it!

Simply amazing the size of the aircraft. I'd love to travel first class in it someday, i've got a feeling though that it's going to be pretty pricey to do that though :lol:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I first heard of an "airbus" in 1991. I just got divorced & I was going to take a 10 day vacation. The lady at the travel agency asked me if an airbus was ok. I was nervous enough, since I don't like to fly, so I told her that I would only fly 727s which was the best plane in the sky at the time.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Holy Cow!!! I've flown inside the US a bit, but I've never seen anything like that. I can't imagine what it must be like to travel in that style and luxury.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I find out which one of those goons let you on my plane, they're so fired.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still go outside to have a look when the A380 flies over.

It is an amazing aircraft - the only problem I have with it is that it seems to lack the charm of the 747 ... seems more like a plane to cram in as many people as possible. But it does have it's own quirks.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, if you look at the statistics the seat quantity isn't as high as you may think. The maximum certified carrying capacity is 853 passengers in an all-economy-class configuration which is only 33% more than the Boeng 747.

When i saw it and you look at it's double deck you would think it would be at least 1000, but it's alot less than that. I guess that explains how they manage to get cabins built in for beds plus luxurious bars etc.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a job working on one of those bars.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet it's very hard to get one of those jobs.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently you get to wear a snazzy tie and vest. :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/27 ... 548012488/

(the album is from a flight on the a380)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's awesome!

I'm gonna find a job like that. My life is going nowhere at the moment so i don't see why not :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does its huge size make it less prone to being shaken by turbulence? that would be a bummer to be sitting in plush luxury in first class sipping on some champagne and then hitting a rough spot in the air.....
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.businessweek.com/debateroom/ ... sidie.html

I hate to see government run companies force other companies out or reduce their employee benefits to drop costs to match...
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
I hate to see government run companies force other companies out or reduce their employee benefits to drop costs to match...

LOL! No, US corporate execs will not allow such a thing to happen! Especially to support higher worker benefits in Europe!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay. for higher worker benefits everywhere!
  • uniquenate
  • Born
  • Born
  • uniquenate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That aircraft is amazing. Would be so much more comfortable on trans-oceanic flights. I can't wait for my first flight in it.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Simply amazing the size of the aircraft. I'd love to travel first class in it someday, i've got a feeling though that it's going to be pretty pricey to do that though :lol:

I agree its amazing that they can fit so many people in such a small plane.

I was watching a video on youtube, I forget what airport it was, but the company called ahead to the airport and asked if they can handle the a380. Since the airport regularly takes in the Antonov 225, they replied "Yes we can handle smaller planes such as the a380".
  • The Leader
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw one fly over me once as was amazed at the size of it. How does it get off the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts