All Things British (continued from Word Assoc.)

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as I can remember, I've loved UK culture. I've even made 'mushy peas' here at home, if you can believe that.

In the 80's, MTV used to play "The Young Ones" late at night, and I easily became hooked on British TV comedy as well as British humor in general.

One of my bosses is from the Colchester Essex area (geographic references are still confusing to me), and he feeds my need for tid bits of info now.

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by the place. I've never been there, yet. I suppose it has something to do with my love of history and military history, and England's unparalled place in both.

Besides a female Australian accent (shout out to Musik), I find a female British (and even Irish) accent to be VERY alluring.

My company has a representative in the UK, and soon one of our sales guys will be going there for a convention. Being a web/graphic putz, I only get to make kiosk graphics, and can't wrangle a ticket for myself.

(:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm quite the opposite, I grew up loving the US, and first came over here from the UK for my 21st... Then I spent the next 3 or 4 years on n' off between the UK & the US, then moved here permanently.

My girlfriend's big on British history too, she teases me about it all the time, because she knows more about my country's (well, now I guess ONE OF my countries) history than I do, hehe. I guess when you live there, and you grow up with it, you don't take so much of an interest, lol

But, I do still love British TV Shows... Blackadder's one of the classics (although I haven't seen as many episodes as I'd like to), just like Fawlty Towers & Red Dwarf...

I think the UK's finally making big noises in the movie industry again too over the last few years... with Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Formula 51, and Underworld (and others I've forgotten the titles to), the UK's producing more high-budget movies than it used to, and they seem to be getting accepted pretty well over here in the US (but don't even mention Harry Potter, lol).

As far as the accent goes... Kelly Le Brock, all the way man... Weird Science or Woman in Red, take your pick :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guy Ritchie RULEZ!!!!

Lock, Stock... and Snatch were two DVD's I demanded for Xmas this year. What character could ever compete with Bricktop?

You should check out the BBC's DVD BlackAdder collection. It's got the Xmas special as well as some behind the scenes stuff.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...

Lock Stock was actually the first DVD I ever bought in the UK... and when I moved to the US, it was the first Region 1 DVD I bought too, lol.

Absolutely one of my favourite movies of all time.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh Jeez!!! Two things escaped me...

1. My Dad is an absolute Benny Hill nut. (I don't really share that one so much)

2. I'm curled up on my couch right now watching a DVD call "In Search of Ancient Ireland". (I love NetFlix)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was watching Underworld last night (that movie about Vampires Vs. Werewolves).. I had no idea that was a British movie til they opened their mouths and out came the accents...

A pretty damn good movie as far as vampire movies go. I definitely preferred it over the Blade movies (although, the bad guy in Blade 2 was English too, so it does get a coupla points for that, lol), but still not a patch on Christopher Lee. :)

Benny Hill I've not watched in YEARS since I was a lil kid. I've not seen the movie you're watching right now (although I may have done and just not known the title), but I'll have to check it out sometime.

You say you've never been to the UK, but have you ever seriously thought about going?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, never been. I will get there one day, though. Oh yes, I will. I'd prefer to go for a non-business trip, with my wife and sons. I think I'll need a solid 2 weeks to visit Engand, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

btw: the DVD I mentioned is a PBS documentary, just so you know. Your girlfriend may find it more interesting.
(:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh cool, I'll definitely have to look out for that documentary, she probably will like it..

If you plan to visit all 4 countries, then definitely go longer than a week, you'll want to spend at least a week just in Scotland, especially if you're a fisherman or golfer, heh.

England... rent yourself a nice fast bike, like a GSX-R750, or a CBR900RR, and just go racing through the lake district on all the nice long bendy windy roads :)

Wales.. for the women... They're not necessarily any better or worse on average than any other country, but the real nice ones are REAL nice ones (just look at Catherine Zeta Jones)...

Ireland... Again, great for fishing, and it can help get rid of a little of the homesickness (or, at least, you'll be able to drive on the right hand side of the road for a while again, lol).
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favourite thing about England is John Peel...
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

My brother is crazy about "Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch," but I could never sit through them myself. I am moderately obsessed with Monty Python, though. Some of my friends claimed that they did not enjoy "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"...I hope that they spontaneously combust. :D

Most of my favorite authors are also British, such as Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman and, of course, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Yay for England?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

some english music is ace, lemon jelly, the streets etc mmm
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Led Zeppelin, Queen, Motorhead, AC/DC, Def Leppard (debatable, lol), Slash (He was actually born in Stoke-On-Trent) and many many more :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

slash :lol: hahahahahahaaaa oh dear.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, nothin' wrong with Slash, he's a great guitarist! (saw him live 7 times... 6 as Gn'R, 1 as Slash's Snakepit).
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hold up a sec Axe. Isn't AC/DC an Australian group? I think the Young bros. immigrated to AussiLand when they were tikes.
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Britain's not too bad, its far from perfect but to be truthfull i'd still rather live here than anywhere else : )
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

acdc is an aussie band i think maybe one or two of em were pommy maybe? but i know they been here for years

slash is cool, it just takes me back to my gn'r groupie days :)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You left out the Beatles! :x
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ohhhhh phooey

princess di !
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

....The Who, The Kinks, and The Human League, as well

(ok, Human League was a bit of a joke)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

england is one place that i would never wanna go though... don't know why - most of all the poms i meet are bloody whingers!! :lol:
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Who...yummy.

Question: What is up with the fish and chips thing?
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol @ rose :P i already tried to tell you that not fair lol :P :wink:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
acdc is an aussie band i think maybe one or two of em were pommy maybe? but i know they been here for years

Well, I know Angus is definitely Scottish, and Brian Johnson is from Newcastle. Phil Rudd is an Ozzy though (but the only Australian one I found after doing a lil digging - all the other members have been English), so we'll have to share the claim on AC/DC ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Geekette, it is an island after all. They gotta do something with all that fish. (:

Plus, the 'mushy peas' i refered to at the onset of this thread is typically served as a condiment with that dish. (please correct me if i'm wrong...anybody)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol Axe, good onya!

fish & chips is not not just english, but australian and New zealand too ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it not lamb & chips in New Zealand? ;)
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

bahhh, stop posting so fast people, :P i keep getting all these notifies, its not fair, i cant keep up :P and its too cold here too :P

(if im being accused of it, i'm bloody well gonna whinge my heart out hehe :wink: )
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geekette wrote:
You left out the Beatles! :x

No I didn't - we said good music ;)

digitalMedia wrote:
....The Who, The Kinks, and The Human League, as well

Ok, you got me on the who n' the kinks... they're good too :)

musik wrote:
england is one place that i would never wanna go though... don't know why - most of all the poms i meet are bloody whingers!! :lol:

And most Ozzies are bad actors :P

Besides, we whinge on purpose, cuz we know it annoys foreigners :lol:

Hey, I love America, I live here now in Florida, and I'm the foreigner. I wouldn't go back to the UK if you paid me, but I still complain about Florida all the time - it's either too hot, too cold, too humid, too boring, etc, etc. It's part of the fun of being here. I just like annoying people (if you hadn't figured out by the weed debate, hehe).
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

wookey wrote:
(if im being accused of it, i'm bloody well gonna whinge my heart out hehe :wink: )

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts