Amazing UK Singers at the mo

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm loving the amount of amazing UK female singers that are becoming well known around the world at the mo. Singers such as Duffy (Welsh), Adele (English), Kate Nash (English), KT Turnstull (Scottish), Amy McDonald (Scottish) and heck even Amy Winehouse (English) despite the fact she's abusing drugs at the moment.

I just tune into the radio nowadays and here songs like "Distant Dreamer" by Duffy which has an old sort of sound to it yet the voice is just "wow". Her first single wasn't too bad and i hear today that she's aparently doing pretty well in the USA. Speaking of Success stories in America, Leona Lewis (English). Her voice is amazing too, her music isn't what i'd normally go about listening to but she has something amazing about her.

Adele has a very similar sound to Duffy, a sound that i quite like and her voice too is amazing. It's surprising when i see that she's 20 years old and Duffy is 23 yet their voices sound older and more mature. They just seem to both be fantastic new musicians actually being heard on the radio. I stopped listening to the radio and generally alot of the newer music but with these women on the go i can't not listen now.

KT Turnstull has been around for a few years now and i think is on her second album. The songs from that so far have been pretty impressive but the one Scottish singer i have just fallen in love with (partly because she's very pretty too) is Amy McDonald. The music sound and her voice is just excellent.

I don't particularly rate Kate Nash as a person, but her music is different and her success story is quite nice. Just an average woman wanting to be famous and thanks to the MySpace community got just that. I only have gone out of my way to hear the stuff that's on the radio so can't rate all of her music but it's very different and creative. To think that she wrote the music and lyrics for "Foundations" is particularly impressive.

I always like to hear how successful some talent from here is in other countries, in particular America. Have you guys heard of Amy McDonald, Duffy and KT Turnstull etc etc?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

wish brenda edwards from xfactor had of released an album by now. she has an awesome voice.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish our music industry was as big, we don't really have big bands/singers making it internationally from SA ... maybe one or two, but that's it, all I can think of right now is: Seether, and Just Jinger. Our record labels have this funny way of doing things here, every two weeks there's a new one hit wonder, but never anyone who stays there and actually makes a proper living from music.

I'm sorry I don't share in your excitement, but I am one for metal, that's about it ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not so much the music as such, i'm just pleased to hear the quality of voices that are on these women. It's the fact they've also burst on the scene within the last year or two which is also very cool.

I can't stress enough that the music doesn't always necessary do much for me, but i think anyone can really appreciate a voice regardless of the music.

You get alot of people that will release a song that can't sing one bit, but because they look good some record companies are willing to edit their voice to make it work.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
It's not so much the music as such, i'm just pleased to hear the quality of voices that are on these women. It's the fact they've also burst on the scene within the last year or two which is also very cool.

I can't stress enough that the music doesn't always necessary do much for me, but i think anyone can really appreciate a voice regardless of the music.

You get alot of people that will release a song that can't sing one bit, but because they look good some record companies are willing to edit their voice to make it work.

That's very true ... many times I think record labels are just after the "image" of the person they are signing ... and not the actual voice ... You make a good point ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts