"I'm an American"

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was at the train station in my home city today and in the queue hoping to speak to someone about my cancelled train due to a derailment. There was a number of other people in queue also hoping to do the same.

In front of me were a couple groups of Americans. One was a family, the other was an American guy. This guy was fairly loud and exclaimed to the guy behind counter that he had to take a train because of a few reasons, one being that he was American.

The American family in front of me were slightly embarrassed for him. Most people on queue near me thought it was pretty amusing.

This is not the first time I have heard this being said. I guess the other time that I can think off top of head was during an episode of "Ice Road Truckers" when they were in India and one of the guys stopped traffic so truck got through and shouted "Hey! Stop! I'm an American".

Help me understand why this is a major factor on things?

I like America and the people, but it's things like that that make me question various things.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This Is AMERICA!!! Oh wait...
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

99% of American's think those people are jack***es and want nothing to do with them. Please excuse our mentally handicapped. We tried to pass a law to require them to wear a sign around their necks at all times, but it didn't happen...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, we call those people assholes.
  • Arcbc30
  • Arcbc30

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was Traveling in Italy years ago I broke the strap on the bag that I carried my sketch and paint tools in- I stopped in a little touristy shop and bought a neat little "man purse" for the trip to Bologna the next day. I spent the day walking through the city sketching, painting and sight seeing alone. I don't know if i had to speak to anyone all day- maybe when I had lunch. When i got back on the train to go home i noticed someone had stuck their chewing gum on my bag- must have been when walking through a crowd. When I removed the gum i realized they had stuck it over a little plastic emblem the size of a postage stamp that i had not noticed that had the image of an American flag. I went home and cut it off to avoid any further problems- but I learned that the last thing I wanted to do was draw attention to the fact that I was American. The reality is that there are ignorant, self absorbed people every where- no matter where you go, or what language you speak.
  • Arcbc30
  • Arcbc30

Post 3+ Months Ago

On a lighter note when I was in Spain I found myself on a bus for an hour or so sitting next to two guys speaking a language unlike anything I head ever heard- I could not figure out what it was- I was very curious. After 30 minutes of intense listening I realized they were speaking English! They were Scottish and to my ears their accent was so thick I couldnt understand them! once I realized they were in fact speaking English I was able to understand them.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

and yet i am an american and i hate the americas.. no respect here in the usa. :(
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arcbc30 wrote:
On a lighter note when I was in Spain I found myself on a bus for an hour or so sitting next to two guys speaking a language unlike anything I head ever heard- I could not figure out what it was- I was very curious. After 30 minutes of intense listening I realized they were speaking English! They were Scottish and to my ears their accent was so thick I couldnt understand them! once I realized they were in fact speaking English I was able to understand them.

Funny you should say that, alot of people i meet understand me very well as my English is very clear even with my Scottish accent. There are parts of Scotland, Glasgow in particular, where the accent is very thick and it can sound a bit foreign... even to fellow Scottish citizens like myself.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm American, but I'm also southern and I'm sure if I had been there and heard someone say "I'm American" in that way, I would have yelled back up to them "Then ACT like one"!

Seriously, we're not all like that
  • ryanlb
  • Loc: Victoria, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Yes, we call those people assholes.

LOL. Well said. :lol:
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my friends was flying out of the US, and observed an American guy trying to check-in without a passport: "But I'm American, I don't need a passport!"

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts