another blogging question.........

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry if I'm just being dense, and I'm guessing this has been answered before somewhere but I can't find it.... I want to add a blog thing to my site (god I feel dirty just saying it) but I want it to be fully customizable and I want it to be hosted on my site. Looking at what's out there, I can't even get a clear hint of who offers what... they don't explain anything before you sign up, and i don't want to make 10 useless free blogs before I get to what I want. WordPress explained everything nicely, but they want payments both for customizable CSS and for letting me host the blog on my site... it's not the amounts of cash - I'd readily pay the 10 bucks or whatever - but rather the fact that, being stuck here in Dullsville, Serbia, I can't do credit card or paypal transactions, and asking foreign colleagues to help out is getting a little old. Is there a free blogging thing out there somewhere that fits with these two criteria?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wordpress is free... what site are u looking at :?:

Failing that I'm writing one in rails, if your host can accomodate a rails app I will happily send you a ccopy in a few days.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out b2evolution. It's awesome and I think meets what you want. I use it for my CEO. Installed and set up in 5 minutes. Lots of ready made skins for it.

http://b2evolution.net/

My President's Blog
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/presidents-desk/

I played around with Wordpress for two days. Finally determined it was close to impossible to install on a Windows server running IIS.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:

Wordpress is free, but customizing it can cost you.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Wordpress is free, but customizing it can cost you.

Are you talking about pay-for skins :?: You're definately right but there are still literally 1000's of free wordpress skins... (true, most are rubbish) but I would have though Celadine is going to customize her own ( :?: ) or maybe not.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm confused... cost you how?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

they charge you for customizing your skin. that's the point. you can play with the css and see how it would theoretically look, but for them to allow you to upload the skin you made you have to pay them 10 bucks.

also you have to pay something if you want the site to be at your domain, and not at theirs.... which I would also like. Prime, ATNO - thanks, I'll check out both options... I don't know about rails honestly (too techy for me :D ) ATNO, at a second's glance your recommendation looks like it'll do just fine. I can mess with the css in there, right?
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but for them to allow you to upload the skin you made you have to pay them 10 bucks.

also you have to pay something if you want the site to be at your domain

Gotta admit Celandine, I'm confused. I use wordpress all the time. They don't charge anything, you just download a copy... ( or have I been unintentionally pirating software - GOD FORBID! :roll: )

http://wordpress.org/download/

Although, having looked at ATNO's example blogs they look good :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you've confused a Wordpress blog, with the Wordpress blog software. There is a difference. :D

The download link Prime posted is where you need to start for hosting a wordpress blog on your site.
http://wordpress.org/download/

Given what I've seen from Prime, and the fact that i looked up your site & it appears to support rails, I'd consider what Prime said about the software he's writing if I were you. :D
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that Joebert, I understand now.

What maybe best Celandine is to ask one of your fellow ozzu bods to install a copy of the wordpress software for you, it really is a 10 minute job and I'm sure many trusted friends would assist. I assume you use FTP software to maintain your site :?: and you probably have a database even if you don't currenty use it. Save you both time and money.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Failing that I'm writing one in rails, if your host can accomodate a rails app I will happily send you a ccopy in a few days.

Wow, that's so sweet. Hope I were celandine.

Well, celandine, in my situation I would go for wordpress at the moment.

@Mark, your president blog is really nice.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

My $0.02 on Wordpress: as long as you are only playing around with styles and themes, it's fine. But if you have any intention of hacking at any of the code (customizations, etc), I'd choose anything else.

Wordpress may be functional, but it's codebase is awful.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I can mess with the css in there, right?

Yes, you can.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I can mess with the css in there, right?

Yes, you can.
spork wrote:
Wordpress may be functional, but it's codebase is awful.

Whereas b2evolution is quite good.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooh, spoiled for choice :D

gosh it's nice to have friends......

well me being a total newb at the whole blog thing I'm a little overwhelmed right now :D but I suppose I'm torn between ATNO's offer and Prime's... which would be easier to use in the long run? I've never had a blog, and don't even fully know what it entails. All I want is something that can look exactly as I tell it to look, (because it needs to fit in with my new (currently being overhauled) website) and that will hold and somehow organise my occasional rants on the subject of design, plus some images.

what do you think, guys? simplicity is my main factor here.....

PS another blog-newb question - what would downloading the wordpress blog software actually mean? As opposed to hosting their blog on your domain? (which is one of the options they offer for a fee..)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

By Wordpress software, we just mean the whole shebang of PHP scripts and everything included with Wordpress. All you have to do to use wordpress with your own domain is simply upload the files to your server and run an installation script that essentially just creates the necessary database tables for you.

I use Wordpress on my site (see sig). It's simple enough and does what I want, and it's fairly easy to customize. Most other options will have similar setup procedures.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try them both out. b2evolution you can have it installed and running within about 5 minutes after downloading, doing a quick run through the installation instructions and creating a database. It's that quick and easy. It'll give you the chance to run through the backend and see what you think. There are three sample blogs already installed for you to play with (can be deleted later). They even have a Russian language pack.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never ever tried b2evolution, but I am intrigued. Wordpress does have their step by step 5 minute install, but really it is more like 3 minutes 17 seconds, it is so simple. That gives you an out of the box fully funtioning bone stock blog. Even a blind, def, and mute turtle could do it!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I've never ever tried b2evolution, but I am intrigued. Wordpress does have their step by step 5 minute install, but really it is more like 3 minutes 17 seconds, it is so simple. That gives you an out of the box fully funtioning bone stock blog. Even a blind, def, and mute turtle could do it!

That's exactly why I tried Wordpress first. Just be warned, the darn thing will not run on Windows IIS. Spent a day on it and even posted at their support forums, and never got an answer how to make it work. If you run it on a Windows server, you'd better be running Apache. It did install. It just didn't work. Wouldn't display the theme and all kinds of errors.

Honestly b2evo installed just as fast and worked perfectly right off the bat on IIS, which is one reason I'm so fond of it.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

gotta say, guys - this is the first time I've felt like a total girl on this forum :D everybody knowing all about servers and php and databases and whatnot..... and here I am, total damsel in distress. might as well be blond :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Just be warned, the darn thing will not run on Windows IIS. Spent a day on it and even posted at their support forums, and never got an answer how to make it work.

Don't have to worry about that! I'm too cheap to buy an IIS license, actually I'm flat broke.

@celandine---The best way to learn all this stuff is to just do it. Once you get yourself a good test server (basically a pc with apache/mysql/php) install phpmyadmin and that takes care of the monotonous database stuff with an easy to use web browser interface. And doing administration stuff is something you have to do to fully comprehend, so just reading about it and remembering it isn't good enough. Experience is worth it's weight in gold.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Experience is worth it's weight in gold

true dat.
it isn't something I plan to do tomorrow, but in the near future I hope I can actually set up a server - simplest possible hopefully - and start messing with all that stuff. at which point I'll probably be tugging at your sleeve again for help :D

till that fateful day, though, let's just see if I can set up a blog that works.............. I think ATNO's right - I'll just try out both options and see how it goes............
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, celandine you should start messing up.
:)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best way to learn is to break something, because you will learn more by fixing it than you will by simply operating it.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I'm sure it will come to that as soon as I start trying to set up a server :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
The best way to learn is to break something, because you will learn more by fixing it than you will by simply operating it.

That motivates me to break a server I'm using now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts