Any Golfers here?

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well now that most of the snow has melted, it was time to pick up the clubs, head to the course and pay my dues. Golf season has started. After not swinging a club in 4 months, I was a bit rusty. On the first tee alone, I lost 2 balls because I had no idea where they went and I was by myself and didn't have a spotter.... I really hope this fixes itself soon!

Any of you have the same type of issues when you are first starting the season?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a golfer, but the one thing I do enjoy every year is watching the Masters.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I picked up my clubs last year for the first time in three, them being stolen a few years prior. First hole? Awesome. I eagled a Par 5 after a ridiculous lifetime highlight-reel worthy 30 foot putt up and down some dips. I then proceeded to lose all 8 of my balls (good thing I had a group!) and finish about 20 over.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I played a half of a golf game once. We did the front 9 at the McCook Nebraska golf course, noted as one of the most difficult courses in the state. We quit halfway through because I was doing so pitiful. I can't remember my exact score, but I know it was over 100 for a measly 9 holes. Pathetic...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

My irons off the grass wasn't too bad, just have to remember my distances. Maybe I'll switch to a long iron off the tee for a bit.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I won a free game at Barnacle Bills with a hole-in-one on the last hole once.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is Barnacle Bill's? Putt-Putt? (mini-golf)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sometimes play for fun, I really do suck but for me its nice and relaxing :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
What is Barnacle Bill's? Putt-Putt? (mini-golf)

I prefer to call it a dedicated putting practice course.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I played two weeks ago for the first time ever on a course ... I played a round of 90 ... now I know that's not really good, but it was a lot of fun ... Maybe I'll do it again one day ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Golf is for the rich/ well-to-do, I guess. Usually, and most of the time, we find older guys like it.

When I'm better financially, I'll start playing
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Golf is for the rich/ well-to-do, I guess. Usually, and most of the time, we find older guys like it.

yeah, it is a very expensive sport ... some clubs here in SA aren't that bad though ... obviously they aren't of the same quality as some of the top courses like Sun-City, but they're still very playable ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

:)
Get your point. I haven't even started a serious windows shopping for any golf clubs,
At most, I did walk in a golf shop, but I felt intimidated( just by looking at the equipments ) and I walked away..
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Get your point. I haven't even started a serious windows shopping for any golf clubs,
At most, I did walk in a golf shop, but I felt intimidated( just by looking at the equipments ) and I walked away..

Yes! I know that feeling all too well ... I used my dad's clubs when I went to play though ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're lucky :P
My dad has a golf membership which is something like a lifetime membership, but he never played it and never will, this is so weird.

Because back in 1970s', he joined it with a lum sum payment, limited membership type, and that time was cheap. So he's just joining it and not using any of the facilities like swimming pool...

Part of that was also cause' we moved to another state, and he got a bad time with his business and probably that let him down and never got started.

But we still receive some annual membership validation letter.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:

That is one of the most ignorant statements I've heard this year.

I'm not well to do, I've been playing since I was in highschool, paying for it with my minimum wage job. Now I buy yearly memberships and play several times a week including a Mens league. Most of the guys I play with make less then $40K per year.

However, it is a lot of fun. Don't start out on a golf course, go to a driving range. I probably hit 3,000 balls before I ever stepped on a course. You need to know what you are doing before you go out there. Not only will this make it more enjoyable for yourself, you won't be pissing off the groups stuck behind you (you'll play slow).

Anyways, went out last night after work. Pars and Bogeys! Missed some birdy puts. It's coming back!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, ok, sounds really good. I'll ask you more when I need some assistance.

Thanks for your insights.
  • nithyap
  • Born
  • Born
  • nithyap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi George

I dont think any one needs to so rich enough to play any game for that matter. You want to play or learn a game..like golf you will definitely find a way to play/learn the game.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hm, thanks nithyap, just about 2 days ago this thought came up my on mind. Where I live, nearby has a golf club. I'm going to just go and play w/e they have...:P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts