Any suggestion for thesis title/title in computer science?

• ice_gem
  • Born
  • Born
  • ice_gem
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello everybody!!! ima computer science student & hopefully i'll be graduating this year.. now we are goin to underatke out thesis. my problem is, i don't have a thesis title or topic yet. can u guyz suggest me a good topic or title for my thesis please.... i really need all ur suggestions.... thanks!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this one out:

"The Fall of Grammar in the IT World."

You could use this for reference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grammar

//Edit - just to note, I'm completely serious about this. Read through a large number of posts in the programming board (and as a side note - take a look at your own post). I find it amazing that IT people who are expected to write error-free code type the way they do. I think it would be an interesting study.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ouch =]
.c
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

HAH!! Oh man, ATNO that is definatly the single BEST post I've ever seen since I've been here! :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles -- keep in mind, I was serious about the suggestion, however, I received a PM from ice_gem earlier that I didn't get the chance to answer when I was at work. The thesis needs to be a combo of software and hardware.

So my original idea won't work.

I did think of this one:

Relational Databases -- Hardware and Operating System Support. (or something along those lines.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could do something on the stability of overclocked hardware. That is a heated debate nowadays and you shouldn't have any trouble finding resources....as for the software part of it, does software really tell the truth about the performance.

Thesis: "Is software a reliable source in telling how well your overclocked hardware is running?"

//Edit: Does it have to be in third person? The more details the better!
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drivers: The Interface between Operating Systems and Hardware.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce - I would imagine since it is a thesis that it probably needs to be in the third.
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ATNO
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

a CS student... as in a Ph.D. student, or is this you undergrad senior thesis, or a Master's thesis?

The reason I ask, and maybe this is different at your school, but the complexity and basis of your thesis is very much dependent upon what level of degree you're going for. In general, a doctoral thesis needs to be based on work not previously done, or an expansion/revision of existing work not yet done. You can't simply pick an area where a bunch of works has been done and rehash or confirm existing data... you'll get your ass handed to you by the Ph.D. board when you go to defend your work.

A Master's thesis is less strict by far (many programs don't even have one), and an undergrad senior thesis probably isn't really expected to be particularly profound.

I personally like the idea Truce on overclocking. A friend of mine and I have undergone a number of amateur overclocking experiments (based on some work a college friend/co-worker was doing). We managed to clock up an AMD 500-somethingish processor to over a Gig, (this was abut 3 years ago), but building a custom case that sat in a bath of non-conductive mineral oil and used a refrigerator coil to cool the oil, a big fan blade to circulate it, and a 2 pond pumps to move the overheated oil around the processor (it was the hottest spot).

All mechanical parts were obviously outside the oil. Anyway, I wouldn't want that contraption on my desk (it could get a bit messy... heh), but it worked. I can't imagine what sorts of speeds you could get now, though heat would be even more of a problem now, I guess.

.c
  • third_kill
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: makati city, philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

im from the philippines and im graduating this year, i really need thesis topics ryt now, the thesis topics can cover intelligent tutoring system, expert systems, natural language processing, the fact is it can only be software even without hardware not like ice gem, thesis topics can also cover computer science problems.

please, im hoping for your replies. you can e-mail me at bruce_g13@yahoo.com or send a message on my ym messenger my username is bruce_g13, tnx!
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OH MY GOD! Puss 'n Boots is SOoo Cute! =]

How about something like:

Can a computer really be built to copy a human brain? The problems with positronic emmulation.

Do computers really learn? (That is, is a computer that can self-program based on core programming guidelines the same thing as a human learning new behaviors based on abstract analysis?) <-- I consider this endlessly facinating.

After all, is there really a difference between an AI that can reprogram itself and a human's capacity to learn? I think there is, since there is considerably less limitations on the human. Human thought, while manifested in language, is not limited by language. The computer's "thought processes" would be completely limited by the programming language, in addition to any core, unchangable limitations (don't do X, ignore stimuli Y, etc). There is no such thing as an unchangeble core parameter to a human, except for our own mortality.

.c
  • third_kill
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

research is really not advisable for thesis topics because were supposed to make a software. examples are software that recognizes words from a word document and translates it to some programming code or something like that.

another example is a tutoring software for kids
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What level thesis are we talking here?

Are you doing a doctoral thesis (that is, are you getting a Ph.D. in CS)?

I think writing a leaning machine would be a great idea. A peice of code capable of writting and extending it's own programming based on external stimuli. That's the basics of AI, of course... but if you're not being urged to research, I'm guessing this isn't a doctoral level thesis, and I'd guess a basic AI system would probably suffice.

.c
  • third_kill
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

im an undergrad, senior year, a computer that could learn is too much for me, haha. maybe something more simple
  • third_kill
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

does anyone know much about generic sql? how can i make it a thesis topic?

what about peer to peer database?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, I see. That's good to know. How about a speech-to-text system?

You could probably create a natural language converter for SQL pretty easily.

Something that converts:

Find the password for bob in the users table, then set that password equal to "password"

SELECT password FROM users WHERE username="bob"
UPDATE users SET password="password" WHERE username="bob"

I don't know, something like that. You'd have to incorporate some other type of code as well other than just SQL of course.
.c
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is something that has always fascinated me.

The integration of human circuitry(sp?) [such as nervous system] with computers digital circuits.

Thesis possibilities:

Why hasn't it worked yet?
What is being done to achieve this integration?
Other things: Problems, work so far, achievements, road blocks, etc.

I dont know if this will help either of you, it may be a little too up in the clouds for you, but I thought that I would bring it up. I did a report on it a few years ago. Really interesting stuff.
  • s3cr3tiv3
  • Born
  • Born
  • s3cr3tiv3
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's a bit too advanced for our level... Anyway, I'd like to ask about the components of the intelligent tutorial systems... what sort of topics under the ITS components would qualify for a workable thesis (undergrad level)? thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts