Any tips to find the right moderators for your forum?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just been thinking of this for a little more than 48 hrs now. Are there specific or pre-made guidelines I should be creating before inviting moderators to my forum?

I'm asking cuz it's my first forum, I don't want to screw up too much and I'm expecting a great amount of users to be using that forum.

Aside from spamming, and rude behaviors, what else should I hold up against? hmmm

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about you appoint them from the members, if you see a member who you think would make a good moderator, ask him/her to help out ... ??
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, yeah R_T, I'd saved that point....Thanks.

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe wait a few weeks maybe a little while to see who stays active and most like to be loyal and appoint him/her...

I'm sure ATNO/TW didn't get to be a moderator as soon as he registered... at least I think so :lol:

Brian would probably give you better help on this one :) As it seems all the mods here are doing their job right :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd made an analysis (rough) the last few days that, maybe Brian knew Mark and all the moderators in real life, before they were appointed?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

A fun little fact that should boggle your noodle for awhile, ATNO almost banned me on my first day here, 2/10/2004. I think he warned me twice that day in a matter of hours.

I toned down my language and read just about every thread that had been created each day & was asked to help out as a moderator on 7/8/2004. Roughly half a year later.

I've never met Bigwebmaster or any of the other moderators here offline. I only lived maybe 2 hours away from one of the old Programmng moderators, AXE, I wish I'd have made it over the bridge to have a beer with him before he'd split.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I'd laugh really bad if I find out that one of you are my neighbor.

@George: Anyway, that could be the case with some but he could have met them elsewhere before OZZU became. But, like I said, you might want to get to know your users before you should start appointing them the high throne :lol:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

what actually happened to AXE?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For all we know he could be back in England with you.
I had a rough idea of his wherabouts for about a year after he left. Last I heard he was in Sand Diego but I lost track of him after that.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a great read for me after I got up from an evening nap. Bogey, yeah I'd considered making a few friends (from college) the moderators, still haven't decided.

Thanks all, keep it coming..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
ATNO almost banned me on my first day here, 2/10/2004. I think he warned me twice that day in a matter of hours.

:lol:

What did you do?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess using 'no-so-good' words?

joebert wrote:
I toned down my language
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't remember exactly what it was and I'd gone back and edited it after being warned, spork. It probably had something to do with pimping horses or smoking beer though.

Quote:
I'd considered making a few friends (from college) the moderators, still haven't decided.

I've heard soo many horror stories about people doing that.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
It probably had something to do with pimping horses or smoking beer though.

Common mistakes, no doubt.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Specifically I sent Joe this a few days after Musik warned him about a similar post.

ATNO/TW wrote:
I sent this to him a few minutes ago:

This is the second time today I've seen a post of yours that was uncalled for....specifically
Quote:
joebert wrote:
Not to be a d**k, but whats with "s15199d" s15199d?
Niks like that are usally trying to get me to watch thier live cam, know what i mean?
Other than that, Welcome to OZZU ! We're glad to have you here.(Unless you try to get me to watch your cam LOL)

Consider this a warning. I'm not sure what your intent is...but this is a webmaster board. If you want to have fun with people, that's cool...but at the moment, you are not being very cool...and if you persist I will ask Bigwebmaster to look into your posts.

On topic - it really takes a special breed of person to be a forum moderator. I've been moderating forums since about 1997 and I've lost track of how many I used to moderate. At one time it was like 50 boards at a time until that community went defunct.

At OZZU I believe Bigwebmaster began with a few of his close friends. As the board grew and more moderators were needed Bigwebmaster pretty much screened candidates through the suggestions and feedback of the existing staff, but always made the final choices himself. That really has never changed.

Moderators should:
Be helpful
Be fluent in the language of the board (typically English) and be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
Be active participants in the forum - recruiting moderators from other forums is not a smart move.
Be a team player - moderators have to get along with and work in harmony with other staff members.
Be supportive of the community.
Be decision makers - ability to make logical and fair decisions that supoort the board policies.

Those are just a few, but if you cover those you'll be well on your way to having a good moderator team.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts