• Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, wish I could go, I'm completely broke. Guess I'd just do the old ways for the past 25 years - TV.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I'll be doing. Beijing is a tad bit far for me. Would be really fun to go though. My girlfriend spent a little over a year in China and wants to go back sometime. This would have been a perfect time, but like you not enough money.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't mind seeing more of China than what i have seen, but i am put off by the way the media here shows the "real china". There are alot of things on the news about what happens in China at the moment because of the olympics. The media were given freedom to report on anything yet even during the olympics they are being turned away from areas by the apparent corrupt police.

It bothers me because i can't help but think it might be a very interesting country to visit someday yet i'm put off by what i see here.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm kind of a river rat, and there is some big white water in the land of China. I wouldn't mind going there for an expedition or something. They have some big mountains too, very cool.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if I could afford to go to China to watch the Olympics, I'd be a little leary about going to China with all of the stuff I read about censorship, great firewalls, & general non-freedomy stuff in the news and on the Internet.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My aunt and uncle were in China (uncle working, aunt visited him) and they did all the usual touristy things and took loads of photos on the Great Wall etc etc.

When they got back to Scotland they discovered that all the photos they had taken were wiped at the airport by the Chinese. As you might imagine they were not best pleased.

Lesson learned here is to never leave the CF or SD card that has all your images in your digital camera and pack it with your luggage instead.
  • motherknucker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Nowhere and Everywhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

wish i was going to olympics
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to the 2012 olympics - they'll be far better :D
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only reason I would go to China is to watch the Kumite!!!

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
I'm going to the 2012 olympics - they'll be far better :D

The 2012 Olympics won't be too bit a hassle for me to get to, but i pretty much would refuse to go to until they change the logo for the event. It really bugs me to think that someone got paid good money to come up with that incredibly crap design.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

whoawww, the opening was awesome. I watched it live at home just now.

I liked the part most when the little girl sang an ancient type chinese song,

:)

Did you like it?
  • Staed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm democratic republic of china, no thanks.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't spill the beans!!!! It doesn't get televised in the US until 6:30 central time tonight!!! I've been avoiding all the hype I've seen on the internet just to not spoil my hi def viewing experience.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone see the opening ceremony? i heard it was pretty good. Front page of one of the national newspapers in Scotland was talking about how the Chinese picked the Scottish Pipe band that played (apparently "wowed" everyone) after finding out about them on Google! :lol:

I'm going to look for footage of it as i'd particularly like to see that Pipe Bands performance. If it's like anything you get at the "Edinburgh Military Tattoo" then i have no doubt it will be an amazing performance.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to go to china, and hong kong - not necessarily relatedly to the olympics.... I find that I'm quite happy watching sports events on tv. and I prefer to visit places outside of tourist season - I hate that feeling that I'm one of a million tourists milling about a place... and I'm guessing that would be exactly the feeling you'd get in beijing around now....

must be a hell of an atmosphere though.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The opening ceremony was cool and everything, but it wasn't the big schazam that everybody was hyping it up to be. It was neat because they had these gargillions of LED screens everywhere, and there were about 15000 performers and none of them performed twice.
  • Betty0920
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just watched the opening ceremony on TV. It was great. It introduced Chinese culture perfectly. I really wish I were there, even at the out side of the Bird's Nest.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just want to go to see human tetris in person ...
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't really think it warranted a new topic, so I dragged up an old one ... a horde of pictures from the olympics :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

really nice photos, Breeze. Thanks for sharing.
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watch them on TV and enjoy so many people, a lot of athletes, variety of games - this makes me happy.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually pretty miffed that at 15:30 local time in Edinburgh there is going to be a parade along the Royal Mile (road leading to Edinburgh castle) with all of the Scottish olympic winners including that of Chris Hoy who gained 3 Gold Medals for team GB.

BBC Sport

I'm not going to be in the city today as i have to head up to Aberdeen for a few things, but if i wasn't going up there i would most definitely have been at the celebrations.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts