Anyone Play Monopoly ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever play the Monopoly board game? Ever wished you could play with real streets, or even go as far as creating your own property cards? You're going to love this.

http://www.monopolycitystreets.com/

I'm definitely going to check it out, though I suspect all of the obvious good streets will be snatched up pretty quick. I have a certain strategy I employ when playing Monopoly which has never failed me when opponents haven't played with me before. :twisted:

I'm a little curious about how the game will actually work though. My best guess is that Google will be feeding search data into the game to determine which streets/properties are being "landed on". If that's the case though, I hope Google has prepared for an influx of maps searches designed to cheat this new game, and inadvertantly destroy any meaningful data someone like say, the DOT could derive from it. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a great idea! This will be very exciting.
But, wouldn't there be privacy issues... you know.. with the maps and all that?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added to my aggregator. This could be a lot of fun, depending on how the game will operate.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now we just need a modernized version of RISK. That would be cool because then Canada could attack the US and everything would be A-ok!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't be silly. Canada doesn't have a military :P
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's absurd. I've seen their Coast Guard in action!

They're quite ready for any funny business at the borders, too. Look at this artillery:

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
On the 9th SEPTEMBER, a world of property empire building on an unimaginable scale will be launched!

Starts up tomorrow. Here's the new FAQ post as well:
http://blog.monopolycitystreets.com/2009/09/faqs.html
  • uniquenate
  • Born
  • Born
  • uniquenate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That looks awesome. The launch date is tomorrow so I'm definitely going to check it out.

I would be way more excited for an online RISK.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
That's absurd. I've seen their Coast Guard in action!

LOL of the week fer sur, eh! Especially dig that ultra-stealth electric motor on the boat!

Sadly, I think in reality the 'Nuck forces are required to do an about face, drop their pants, and bend over when confronted with ze Amerikkan ally :roll:

Actually, they have some (US) Coast Guard zodiacs I've seen in the East River, 18' long with dual .50 guns* mounted in them, which is almost exactly like that.

* so my ex-army friend says, anyway. They're real big, on a tripod with the shield and everything. Then giant dual outboards, and of course two guys that can't do anything but stand there, one driving the dual outboards, one manning the dual machine guns, on an tiny inflatable raft...waiting

ps. Rockaway Beach Blvd is MINE!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Game's up as of this morning. Server's are getting slammed, so registration is a slow process right now.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say "slammed" is an understatement. I've seen slashdottings that weren't this brutal.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh I've finally been able to get in and view the map, but my 'searches' flunk out, so still no registration for me. :(
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the blog:

Quote:
The biggest land grab of 2009...
We ANTICIPATED an opening rush when we launched the Monopoly City Streets online game, but the first few hours have surpassed even our greatest EXPECTATIONS.

We are in the process of increasing our firepower and expect to be running more smoothly within the next several hours.

I get the impression that this game's going to be just like every other MMO startup - if you weren't involved at the very first second the game, then you might as well call it quits now, because it sounds to me like people are sucking up property as fast as they can, but I still can't get the dern page to load. Great job, no really - outstanding way to be prepared.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has there been any mention as to whether there will be restarts occasionally ?

If they're going to do the sane thing and reset everyones holdings once ever 30 or so days so everyone has a chance to win I'll probably wait until the first reset to play. If it's one of those games where, like you said, if you weren't in on it at the start you're screwed, I'm just not going to bother with it at all.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If they're going to do the sane thing and reset everyones holdings once ever 30 or so days so everyone has a chance to win I'll probably wait until the first reset to play.

That makes sense, otherwise there would be one all powerful ruler that would own 99% of the property, then in one quick motion would wipe out the measly competition and have entire global power and the game would be over.

UPSGuy wrote:
if you weren't involved at the very first second the game, then you might as well call it quits now, because it sounds to me like people are sucking up property as fast as they can

Thats just like concert tickets. Its annoying when radio stations sponsor concerts, and if you are an elite premium member of their website you can pre-buy tickets a month before they go on sale. And the day they do go on sale they sell out in a matter of minutes because other people had an unfair advantage. yes I do hold a grudge. I missed out on Godsmack a couple months ago because of presale tickets and the show sold out in less than 3 minutes. That kind of stuff should be first come first serve at the door on the day of the concert.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get the feeling that it's one round until the game is done. There's even a cutoff date. However, it looks like they are going to be smart enough to call "RE-DO!"

Quote:
A poll that Monopoly City Streets posted offers a choice between simply continuing on once the server problems are resolved, or resetting the game. The latter choice is currently the clear favorite, 1006 to 212.

I checked the numbers to see if they're current, but it's actually more like 5150-927 in favor of reset now.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I missed out on Godsmack a couple months ago because of presale tickets and the show sold out in less than 3 minutes. That kind of stuff should be first come first serve at the door on the day of the concert.

The dead kind of sold tickets this way, but there were some subtle differences. You didn't have to buy a premium membership anywhere, you just had to be "in the know" (pre-net, I think it was a newsletter): starting in the spring you could order tickets for any show for like $25 directly from the dead. But if you showed up at the door, you'd be taking a chance and paying $40+ to ticketmaster. I believe they always held a certain amount for the door anyway, probably by contract.

But two things to consider: 1) virtually no band has the clout the GD did -- so they cannot presell tickets themselves; 2) virtually no band has the intelligence and moral compass of the GD, so they will not bother trying to (eg) make any arrangements. Like their fans, they will just show up, get drunk, and complain ineffectively about whatever without ever bothering to do anything about anything. And of course collect their share of the CASH. Eventually, you will all get old, stop going to shows and stop caring. So you might as well get over it now dude. It's irrelevant. Why don't you write a letter to Godsmack? I know, you know, we all know you won't, because even if you did, everything will remain the same.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
nearly every account in the tops is hacked,
i guess at least 25% of all accounts are death at the moment,

they do not have any other chance then reset the game.
if they wont or not.

That's a comment from the latest blog update. From what I've read lately, there's been a TON of issues with duplicate accounts, hacked accounts, failed purchases that still deduct from your account, etc. They've got a long way to go before I can take this game seriously. Just sad - I was hoping it would be worthwhile. :(
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a shame.

I still haven't even seen the game yet. I got the index page to load once after leaving a tab sit open for awhile only to discover it required Flash which I browse with disabled by default.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't gotten much further. At one point at work, I was able to get a map to show and zoom in on an area (that's the flash you were waiting on). From there, a street list is supposed to populate and allow you to pick one that's available. Server kept crapping out while trying to retrieve said list, so I never got to pick a street, and hence, never got to register. It LOOKS like it could be cool though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQP5H4eHh4
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've registered and managed to buy a street, but nearly all the good ones in my home city of Edinburgh are taken.

As far as i can see though from initial observation it appears as though you build property on the street and every day you make a sum of money (depending on what property you build). Not really been on it since i bought my home street (because i'm sad like that) so not sure about how it all works yet.

I can see myself getting quite bored with it though very soon. It's not really like Monopoly if i'm honest.
  • The Leader
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think most people have played monopoly as its been around a long time.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's probably true, but have you tried the worldwide online version that's going on right now?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that figures. Now it loads but it's one of those Flash movies that doesn't like to work on 64-bit Ubuntu. Well, at least I know when I jump back into Vista I can finally check it out. :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reset announcement coming soon. They SAY they've put in measures to counter the cheating that's been taking place as well, but time will tell I guess.

Quote:
Please check back tomorrow as we are planning to have details about the date and time of the restart of the game. Thanks for your help, support and patience.
  • chantel
  • chantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great idea! If someone of you already played and how fun it was?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thursday it is. I like how they remain vague on '12 to 24' so that they can't be help to it, though.

Quote:
To prepare for the restart, we will be taking down the game on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 at 15:00 GMT. We anticipate that the game will be down for 12 to 24 hours as we reset and test the game. When the site comes back live, the game will restart.

But, we’re not just restarting the game. We’ve made some improvements to the gameplay that we think address many of the concerns that you have brought to our attention while you played the game. We will provide additional details about these changes soon.

This restart does mean that everyone will be starting over with $3 million to spend and will need to register again.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I own most of the large streets in my town. Pretty cool game. I am already earning money off my properties.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Server went back up around midnight last night. Doesn't seem to be too little of an advantage of getting in on the action now, but that remains to be seen. Needless to say, there are certainly people who hovered waiting for the restart and snatched up major streets. If anyone wants to add me, I'm going by the same handle. Figure its worth trying for a bit.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still cheating going on.
People playing multiple accounts (I play 4, but so far no trading/targeting, just to do more things than 3 clicks and done /sigh).

People then to cheat are targeting their other account street and putting hazard after hazard on that street, which for some stupid reason increases the worth of that street.

Locally I am #3 because I forgot to log on saturday ack!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts