AOL Subscribers Down by 846,000

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

America Online's subscriber base plunged by 846,000 in the second quarter, as hundreds of thousands left for cheaper or faster Internet connections and a similar number were dropped because they had been mistakenly counted in the past, AOL Time Warner Inc. disclosed yesterday.

In addition, new disclosures about a federal investigation into improper accounting at Northern Virginia-based America Online Inc. showed that the division's legal problems are hurting other parts of the AOL Time Warner media empire.

AOL Time Warner said yesterday that the Securities and Exchange Commission would not allow it to spin off a portion of its cable television unit until it resolves a dispute over how to account for hundreds of millions of dollars in questionable revenue from a complex deal with German media firm Bertelsmann AG.

AOL, the nation's biggest Internet service provider, has shed a total of 1.2 million subscribers over the past year and now has 25.3 million subscribers in the United States.

You can see the whole article here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... ge=printer
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

all i have to say :lol: HAHAHAHA
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay, it sounds like consumers are beginning to get a little smarter. AOL is one of the ultimate evils...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheheh servers them right for all those annoying commercials, I just wanna shoot my tv whenever any of those come on. Oh and how can "America OnLine" have international services? wouldn't it be better as MOL or GOL? http://www.aol.com/info/international.adp
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, i think they dont do that because it would sound pretty dumb. Mexico online...haha that's hilarious and germany online.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just about as stupid as america online ;)
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those AOL commercials are the devil.. I hate those Call Alert commercials. It makes it sound like a free service, but it says it's free for up to 12 months and fee vary according to your phone service. Also, a service like that is offered for free by other dail-up services. Oh, Madmin, Mexico is in North America, so they wouldn't have to change their name.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well then it'd be NAOL but I always thought of AOL as being US oriented.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

It'll be 846,001 when I get my cable modem. They made such a big deal out of 8.0 and it was basically a bloated version of the same program with a slightly more colorful interface, but no real improvements to their useless email client or the aol version of ie.

To add insult to injury it often crashed my system when I clicked on links on their main screen and I had to unistall it. Now they keep trying to get me to sign up for their broadband service, so I can have the same bad experience 10x as fast for a higher price than my local cable company offers. No wonder the stock is tanking and subscribers like me are fleeing.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah yeah, im out of it
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amen RichB, I feel your pain! Get cable!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I first got on the internet I used AOL. That must be like 7 or 8 years ago. I have always disliked AOL and am perfectly happy with my cable connection (that is AOL free). If I ever had to go back to a dialup connection I think I would die.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys should be glad everyone isn't using cable, because then it would become clogged with users, since cable shares the connection within your IP range. Or you can get Road Runner business class, which dedicates your connection.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

does it cost more? what is that road runner thing? is it a isp?
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, sorry, Road Runner is an ISP owned by Time Warner. It's kinda funny because after aquiring AOL, it kept Road Runner up in direct competition against AOL. It's a decision I'm thankful for since it gives me cable access without the extra crud of AOL. They actually offer both here, but to use the AOL broadband it costs you $15 dollars more a month! Definitly not worth the price. Road Runner business class costs more of course because it is dedicated.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

OKay now i see. (said the blind man to his def wife in the corner of the round house)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

(as he picked up his hammer and saw) ;)

so glad to see/hear aol doing poorly. One of the worst things to ever hit
the net was that company.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw this story on Tech T.V. yesterday. They talked about how AOL had actually sold the 800,000 accounts at dirt cheap prices to distribution partners. So actually, most of those accounts were vacant in the first place.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts