AOL 9

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know a lot of people do not like AOL here. I have been with them for a while now and i think that they are great. AOL 9 is just so much better then the other ones.

The feature that i find great is that you no longer have to have the AOL software running to be connected to broadband. This was one of the things that i never liked about previous versions as the software slows your computer down.

It also comes with a built in broadband accelerator that beleaive it or not does speed things up.

As much as people slag of AOL i still think its great. And will always recomend it to people. Althought if prices continue to increse i might be tempted to go else where :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:

It also comes with a built in broadband accelerator that beleaive it or not does speed things up.

I might speed up, but while ur downloading ur browsing will be slow..that is from my experience....
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problems exist more than with the software.

Firstly, you actually reside on either a DSL or Cable Modem solution from a local provider -- more often than not the phone company or one of the local cable companies. They provide services for AOL, so in essence AOL does not own the hardware, save for their own authentication network. AOl owns no physical broadband networks. (Let's forget for a moment they are attached to Time-Warner -- TW actually runs it's own broadband, which AOL may use, if it is also in the same operational area. However, never assume that because one company acquires another, they play nice together. )

This means when you have a problem, you first have to go through layers of tech support at AOL, before they will contact the local provider for physical assist. Also the lines of communication do not exactly "flow", from physical provider to virtual provider very well.

The next problem is authentication, both the act of and the data contained therein. AOL is notorious for abusing the rights of the consumers with the AOL customer data. Then there's the problem of authentication services and who provides your DNS resolution. AOL actively filters it's networks -- it's one of the few that do, despite warnings of ownership liabilities. That's not for me.

Basically, you are using some local cable or phone company, only you are being provided less service and support than others who utilize them as the "front door".

AOL BB used to include throttle devices on the CD they force you to install, (if you run windows) -- I cannot comment as to whether this practice continues, but they used to. As well as the @Home network, when there was an @Home network.

There's no advantage, and many disadvantages -- not all of which I covered.

Your call.

Cheers.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

That may be the case however i have never had any problems with AOL in the 3 years i have been with them.

Maybe i am one of the lucky ones eh?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
That may be the case however i have never had any problems with AOL in the 3 years i have been with them.

Maybe i am one of the lucky ones eh?

If I grew up a vegetarian, I would never know what meat tasted like until I went to my first BBQ.

Cheers.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

no but you see at my dads house he is on BT broadband and i often go on that when i stay with him, however my mum (who i live with (im 17 not a 25 yr old still living with mum lol)) is on AOL and i find that they are both reliable.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
no but you see at my dads house he is on BT broadband and i often go on that when i stay with him, however my mum (who i live with (im 17 not a 25 yr old still living with mum lol)) is on AOL and i find that they are both reliable.

Define "reliable".

If by that you mean they function, so be it.

There's a lot more, as I already mentioned, to it than simply, "Can I see a web page?".

Either way, I was merely offering various and sundry reasons why people were seemingly reluctant to use it -- all of which, are true, BTW.

If you're happy with it, dandy.

Cheers.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mean by "reliable" that everything that i want to do can be done on aol with out causing me any problems.

I dont even use the AOL software. I only use it for my email address which i check on outlook express. and the internet connection.

IMO aol is "dandy", are the problems you are referring to due to your own experiences?

BTW what ISP you with? :D
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
I mean by "reliable" that everything that i want to do can be done on aol with out causing me any problems.

I dont even use the AOL software. I only use it for my email address which i check on outlook express. and the internet connection.

IMO aol is "dandy", are the problems you are referring to due to your own experiences?

BTW what ISP you with? :D

Our definitions of 'reliable' are quite different, again I reference my first post.
Whether or not you use the AOL software, you are still using their authentication services, their filtered network and their resolvers -- unless they farm that out.

If you even loaded the AOL disc, then there is a chance the throttling software was installed -- if they even do that anymore.

All riding on a different companies physical layer. Simple math. You have a problem, it's easier to deal with one company, than two.
Far too much "finger pointing" in the case of the latter.

The problems for which I speak are not issues I myself experienced, except in the rare instances where I was called upon to investigate home network solutions. That and a close friend of mine was a lead engineer at AOL -- he has since left the dark side.

As I tried to make clear, it's all in how you use it. If you don't have high expectations, you won't be disappointed.

My ISP? Well, at home I use RR and DSL, in a redundant setup. At work I use fully redundant OC-48s. :)

Cheers.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you are getting to technical for me :wink: AOL suits my needs and does all i want it to do. If i was going to be doing special things that i could not do with AOL then i would upgrade.

But as i said before in one of my post, AOL does everything that i need it to do and thats good enough for me.

Thanks you for your posts as it has made me think about the negative side of AOL.

Regards

Tony

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts