Are Facebook Developers Smoking Dope ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's been a bunch of little problems at Facebook lately. Most recently I noticed that some of the comments people make which include apostrophes (or single quotes) are showing a backslash before them, so you end up seeing something like this.

Quote:
I don\'t know

There's no reasonable excuse for that, not with a Facebook sized site. It happened because someone said f**k it and just did whatever.

Then there's things like comments having a character limit of 420 characters. What logical reason do they have to cut off the size of a message at 420 characters ?
It's not a nice easy round number whether we're talking binary numbers or not. It is however, the holy grail of stoners everywhere.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

May I ask why you're even on facebook? You certainly seem to be above that. I have no use for that or any other social networking site.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's often i will see a status update with the words "facebook" and a few nasty words thrown together in the same sentance.

It certainly seems to be going downhill, however in my opinion it is still the best site of it's kind around largely down to the fact i know far too many people that use it.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea joebert what are you doing on that site :)? I thought the whole social networking fad (for lack of a better word) was long gone.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

cipher wrote:
Yea joebert what are you doing on that site :)? I thought the whole social networking fad (for lack of a better word) was long gone.

I think it will come and go and come and go and come...20 years from now there will still be something new...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of the people I grew up with, people I haven't seen in decades even, are just recently getting to Facebook. ;)
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would have to agree with BodyDot.. in that facebook will probably be gone in a few years as the main title holder.. It just has become to be far to big for the general idea of the site, the bolt-ons are just getting silly.. but for the present it is where most people have there home pages set, so 20 years from now could be a good estimate :).
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to admit facebook allows people to believe they have friends.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey. Haven't been around much because I've been busy social networking (just kidding)...about a month ago ozzu started crashing my firefox in FC10, which I've been busy with work that had to be done in FC10. Doesn't happen anywhere else, nb.

Anyway, I joined facebook last year and from the very beginning have thought the site is a little shoddy. They are always adding code, which is fine, I've seen more than one thing on the level of what joebert is talking about, stuff like navigation errors and pull downs that overlap badly. Sometimes it's as if no one bothered to check the page at all. If I'd made a mistake that bad, pretty sure I'd notice it fairly quickly. They usually do get corrected in a day or so. But: I don't know how many programmers and administrators Facebook employs, but IMO that if there are more than 2 that is a really really sloppy standard they have set. So you are totally correct joebert. And the way a lot of stuff works I find totally whacked.

Vis. social networking, well, it is kind of enlightening to see the kind of things full grown adults will use this for. :roll: It's kind of neat for me tho: a friend from elementary school got me to join. I went to school in a small town with one school, K-8, one class per grade. So for nine years I was in a class with more or less the same group of 25-30 kids. Then we all went to different high schools. I live more than 1000 miles from there now and haven't seen some of them since then. Now, fully 35-40%+ of that group are on facebook.

What's interesting is that people have class pictures, and no one has disappeared or been lost track of. Even more: we're all 36 and only ONE person is dead (he got stabbed last year) which out of say 25 is I think probably an unusual statistic.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today Zynga apps appear to be suffering from Facebook performance issues.
Quote:
Facebook performance has declined. During this time, some farmers may temporarily experience missing neighbors, lag or lost gifts/bonuses.

Quote:
Greetings, we have been alerted from Facebook that they are currently experiencing performance issues. This will affect all applications and games. Please bear with us while we work with Facebook to correct this issue. Thank you!
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mark, i have to say that anyone who chooses to use the Farmville app probably deserves to have problems with it ;). It is really one of these things that bugs me so much that it sits nearer the top of the pet hate list.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually the Apps that I play I quite enjoy. I wouldn't quite call them "mindless" fun because they require some amount of strategic thought, but for the most part I view them as mindless entertainment.

Honestly though I only signed up at FB initially because an online poker buddy invited me to play poker with him there. I truthfully only went there once or twice until it occurred to me to look up my daughter whom I haven't seen in over 13 years and I found her, just in time to find out she was headed to Iraq with the Navy. I've not only been able to keep up with her, but as previously mentioned by others in this thread, have been getting re-acquainted with probably approaching 1/3rd of my old high school class mates, some friends from former jobs that I've had as well as meeting some new friends. As most of my "socializing" is done online, I find Facebook quite convenient for it.

Honestly I've been involved in "social" communities since at least 1997 (even before they were actually called "social networking sites"). Places like Tripod, and Geocities were among the first. Essentially everyone I've been involved in at some point has gone by the wayside and in many cases long forgotten. I expect that someday Facebook will follow suit. When it does, I'll grin and bear it, pack up my bags and move on.

But while it's here I'll enjoy the small benefits it offers, namely that of enjoying rediscovering many people I was once close to and had lost track of.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

So THAT's what I'm doing wrong - the desire to interact with other humans. I knew there had to be something.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
May I ask why you're even on facebook? You certainly seem to be above that. I have no use for that or any other social networking site.

I've been hooking up with old army buddies that are scattered all over the world. that's reason enough for me.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I rarely go to facebook, but whats wrong with social networking? Why do people shun it and if they are caught using it, they feel the need to explain themselves... find an excuse? Why is it embarrassing for people to use Facebook or MySpace? yes, Facebook went over the top with their apps but it doesn't mean that people use all of them at once or over a period of time.

I go on Facebook to chat with my friends who I see daily... we sometimes schedule an event, invite our friends to it... like paintballing at some playground or something like that. No shame in that.

No shame in social networking. Facebook is also good as a profile. Getting a job? http://www.facebook.com/my_user_name. The employer would see who you associate with and what you talk about, what you do... it shouldn't effect your business opportunities as playing basketball or football doesn't effect your programming skills.

I'm just reading over the comments/posts here and nearly everyone has a negative view of social networking... what has social networking done to you so you would hate it? I just don't get the negativity people have toward facebook and the like.

Maybe the social networking is for 'imatures' like teenagers and others who pretend to have friends :(
I don't know.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
No shame in social networking. Facebook is also good as a profile. Getting a job? http://www.facebook.com/my_user_name. The employer would see who you associate with and what you talk about, what you do... it shouldn't effect your business opportunities as playing basketball or football doesn't effect your programming skills.

Once I get out of college I'll probably delete my facebook account or remake it or heavily prune it. There's a lot of stuff on there I don't want my future employeer to see.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone with no past is far more suspicious than someone with a stained past.

Most people who are worth knowing would rather see those things you don't think they would want to see, and then see the progression of you growing out of the phases, than see just a spotty or squeaky clean slate.

Just because they can't see what you covered up, doesn't mean they can't tell you covered something up.

Bill Clinton probably thought nobody would find out he was smoking dope when he deleted his generations equivalent of a Facebook page, look how that turned out.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
like paintballing at some playground or something like that. No shame in that.

I bet the school and cops just loves that when you start shooting the kids at recess with red paint...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I'm just reading over the comments/posts here and nearly everyone has a negative view of social networking... what has social networking done to you so you would hate it? I just don't get the negativity people have toward facebook and the like.

I'd venture to say it has something to do with social networking sites a lot of times having a userbase made up primarily of marketers with multiple accounts.

The entire point of social networking sites, from the perspective of the people running them, is to get together a bunch of people to sell things to.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys! I almost forgot that I need to check on my restaurant.

...and set my status to what I had for lunch. :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lunch updates rule !

How else am I supposed to be exposed to new and exciting lunch ideas ?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
Bogey wrote:
like paintballing at some playground or something like that. No shame in that.

I bet the school and cops just loves that when you start shooting the kids at recess with red paint...

I wasn't clear as to what I said then, because I wasn't talking about paint-balling, but I was talking about social networking.

Anyway, there was a time when me and my friends (a total of 10 or so people) went to a playground specifically designed for paint-balling... it's in the woods with forts, castles, logs, and things like that and played paintball games there.

We didn't just go to a random playground and start shooting people there... :lol: that's silly and cops would like that.

joebert wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I'd venture to say it has something to do with social networking sites a lot of times having a userbase made up primarily of marketers with multiple accounts.

The entire point of social networking sites, from the perspective of the people running them, is to get together a bunch of people to sell things to.

Oh, if marketers are doing that then... well, that would make me mad. I never thought of Facebook to be a medium for marketing... I just thought of it as a social networking/gathering...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I may be the devil's advocate for a second; discussion boards are a form of social networking too. Some of them even employ advertising. :twisted:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but do they have people going around pretending not to be salespeople trying to get people to buy things ?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Yeah, but do they have people going around pretending not to be salespeople trying to get people to buy things ?

How many posts have we deleted? :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, a lot. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts