Voting Chart

Total votes : 10

Has this happen to you?

•  
    I have seen this or it has directly happen to me.
  •  
    I have managed to have teachers with real knowledge not book smarts.

Are teachers actually qualified?

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I was working for the school district that I attended Fontana Unified School District it is located in California, USA. Now when I was the LAN Administrator I would go around fixing the clients and when the tech was overloaded or was at a meeting I would work on the servers. Now when I did have to work on the clients it would mostly bee the computer labs all brand new dells that were managed to get messed up on every day. When I would enter those classrooms with the “Computer Teacher” there I find the problems. I’ll make a top list.

1: Teacher had move classrooms and there was a RJ-11 cable plugged in the RJ-45 phone jack.

2: The computer will not connect to the internet, the patch cable was unplugged.

3: All applications came from the server including Microsoft Office, LOL.

4: If the computer doesn’t work reset it. Now that is a good solution most of the time but not resetting it 5 times in a row then coming to the conclusion that it needs to be seen by the tech. And telling the class that “Well students the server are having problems again”

5: Always going to the extreme and unplugging the one cable that is coming in from the switch. When 5 computers out of 32 are having problems.

Now what are some stories that you have that are a embarrassment to the public?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive had a few things like that happen, but luckily at my old Highschool I was one of the network fixers. There was me and about 2 other kids, and the techers usually just left the computers alone. It was run fairly well, and our computer teacher was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, Ive never met anyone that could twist a computer to do his will like that guy could.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of my teachers are ok with computers, most of them do their grades on the computer system, others still prefer grade books, and they wouldn't know where to start ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think what you're describing is a phenomenon for teachers alone. In my work, I encounter similar things in both the public and private sectors.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oye, and in response to Smoken, my computer teachers on the other hand...well...*yikes*. It's scarry what they aren't capable of. I'd love to teach the class but they wont let me, so I just refuse to take it ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

my old programming teacher at colllege used to ask me for help more than the class were asking him for help.

He was doing some new degree course, and what he was doing there was something I'd done 2 or 3 years previously at home when I was still in high school.

Whenever he got stuck, he'd be asking me for help. Pissed me off to no end.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
Oye, and in response to Smoken, my computer teachers on the other hand...well...*yikes*. It's scarry what they aren't capable of. I'd love to teach the class but they wont let me, so I just refuse to take it ;)

Dont you just hate that? How the bad computer users get to be teachers is beyond me.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have a "computer room attendant" in one of our labs. I really don't think he knows anything about computers, and he is just leeching free internet off of our school. But he turned 70 a few days ago. Madness I say. He can be a real crank one too.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like some, I'm a bit far removed from school and teachers, but I did get a call this morning while I was on vacation. Apparently, all of a sudden all the files were missing from my maintenance supervisor's folder on the shared drive. I remoted in and found them in a new directory... "no one knows how it got there" and copied them back where they were supposed to be.

Believe me...that's not the wildest one, but definitely the most recent.

A five minute solution they spent the whole day on yesterday. It's called "job security" *lol
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the other way arounf for my school, my teacher is 10x more qualified then the techs that come in. The techs who come in were taught by my teacher, and my teacher has stories about how some techs failed their CCNAs and stuff. My teacher is over qualified for this job, he has worked at cisco, intel, ISPs, and now he is working as a teacher at a high school (i'm glad of that, he is a really good teacher) He does the networking stuff duing the summers, last summer he made $60k in two months... And he is not allowed to fix the school network (our school network is badly done) I don't know why he can't fix it, though.

anyways, away from computer teachers, my CAPP (carrer and personal planning) teacheer never does anything, all last week the class just played monopoly, and we all have arounf 100% and no one has done anything.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest I don't think most teachers are qualified.

From my experience the most are not, But I have met some lecturers I was really amazed and admire too.

I would be really glad to know what is happening in US and UK.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha....I had this graphics art teacher a couple years back in high school and the school admins were all strick with students setting up computers and whatnot. They had just bought 20 new dells with dvdRWs that were boxed separatley. The comps were in the boxes when my teacher walked out of the classroom. When she walked back in she found 20 computers up and running with no DVD RW drives in sight (they were set up as well)......but she didnt notice untill 2 weeks later.....lol......she got in trouble for it too. The school had ordered 20 more and they were charging her. when they got in in record time (4 days) only to realize they were already installed! hmmmm.....20x200 comes to more than a teacher makes a month....HA! ($4000)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts