ATM skimmer...clever, but creepy!

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hadn't heard of this before, thought it was worth a share. This guy noticed something funny about his ATM machine, and decided to give the reader a little tug. On the back, there was a battery, flash memory card, and a mini USB port attached. If someone weren't paying attention, you'd go right on with your transaction and never be the wiser! yikes!

Source, Gawker.com - original article here
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate ATM machines, I always try to buy something and get cash back. For one it costs as much to get money from an ATM as it does to buy a 20oz bottle of something to drink, and then you have things like that to worry about.

That thing is especially spooky. :shock:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got told that i should start using cash more often instead of my Maestro card, after seeing this i'm tempted to not bother changing my way of expenditure.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never thought a skimmer could be that small, the ones were warned about are big plates that cover the whole front of the machine.

joebert wrote:
For one it costs as much to get money from an ATM as it does to buy a 20oz bottle of something to drink

Just curious, do all ATMs over there charge? Because I live in scotland and I've only ever seen ones that charge at motorway service stations - and they are standalone things, not built into buildings. I always hear about people from the rest of the world complaining that they have to pay to withdraw money.

edit:
that skimmer looks like it would only pick up the magnetic strip
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
I never thought a skimmer could be that small, the ones were warned about are big plates that cover the whole front of the machine.

joebert wrote:
For one it costs as much to get money from an ATM as it does to buy a 20oz bottle of something to drink

Just curious, do all ATMs over there charge? Because I live in scotland and I've only ever seen ones that charge at motorway service stations - and they are standalone things, not built into buildings. I always hear about people from the rest of the world complaining that they have to pay to withdraw money.

I noticed this too Bozebo. As you can see i too am from Scotland so know how they are here. In Australia some banks charge you money if you use an ATM for another bank. So, say for example you are with the ANZ and you want to use another Australian bank machine then they will charge you however if you went to an ANZ bank machine you wouldn't be charged.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you go to your bank or a bank with some kind of deal with your bank you usually don't have to pay to use the ATM.

But if you go to a different bank, or a non-bank ATM you're usually going to get charged at least a dollar. I get charged $2, one from the ATM owner and one from who my cards through. I think the most I've ever paid was $2.75
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The typical fee around here for using an out-of-network bank ATM is anywhere from 2.50 to 4.50, and you don't want to know what it'll cost you in a bar or gentleman's club...err...not that I would know *COUGH*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
you don't want to know what it'll cost you in a bar or gentleman's club...err...not that I would know *COUGH*

I hate using a card in a bar because I always forget how much of a tip I wrote down and tips don't show on the account history until the bar completes the transaction, which in some places takes about a week.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I hate using a card in a bar because I always forget how much of a tip I wrote down and tips don't show on the account history until the bar completes the transaction, which in some places takes about a week.

I agree. When I head to the bar I always try to use cash that way I can limit my spending much easier.

On topic, that skimmer is the smallest that I've seen. A buddy of mine just had that happen to him while he was in Florida actually. He bought some gas from a gas station and apparently there was a skimmer at the atm in the gast station that the employees were aware of and a part of the operation. I couldn't tell you exactly what station or area to be exact without asking him but I know it happened about 3-4 weeks ago and was possibly in the Orlando area.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

More skimmers revealed...these ppl are VERY clever, scary!
  • Wicked_Goddess
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to withdraw inside the bank, so I don't worry about such... but that gives me a shock!:(
  • victoriaphee
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • victoriaphee

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If you go to your bank or a bank with some kind of deal with your bank you usually don't have to pay to use the ATM.

But if you go to a different bank, or a non-bank ATM you're usually going to get charged at least a dollar. I get charged $2, one from the ATM owner and one from who my cards through. I think the most I've ever paid was $2.75

same here in the Philippines. The bank will only charge you are just using their ATM but only a depositor of their allied banks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts