audio convertors?

• maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it possible to convert MP3 files to WAV files in Windows Media Player? or do i have to use another program?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

and which format is able to make the file size small? like below 1 Mb?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

maxdy wrote:
and which format is able to make the file size small? like below 1 Mb?

MPEG Audio Layer-3 (the long name for MP3) is the format.

You can adjust the compression settings. Variable bit rate, joint stereo (or mono), and filtering sounds below 10Hz all save space without affected the perceived quality of the sounds.

Keep in mind that MP3 is a lossless audio compression scheme. The encoding process discards some sound information that is deemed as less important - signal degradation will occur.

Common bit rates used when encoding are 192, 160, 128, and 96 Kb/s. 128 is considered to be near-CD quality and produces 11:1 compression. Voice only audio may still sound acceptable at 96Kb/s (15:1) and lower; you will have to experiment.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

maxdy wrote:
is it possible to convert MP3 files to WAV files in Windows Media Player? or do i have to use another program?

Whoops, I read your post backwards.

Ok... in regards to your question, "which format is able to make the file size small? like below 1 Mb?". WAV is, once again, the format (in this case, PCM). You can, however, adjust some parameters.

If you wish to record the WAV to CD-DA (CD Digital Audio), then it must be 16 bits by 44.1KHz. Otherwise, you can mess with the number of bits and the sampling frequency.

PCM does not discard data using a perceptual model (such as MP3). Reduced bit resolution and sampling frequency will dramatically effect quality.

Lastly, WAV files are ten or more times larger than MP3. Your request to get a WAV file under 1MB may be difficult or impossible (if your original MP3 is a few hundred KB).

Cheers

P.S. Mb is megabit, MB is megabyte. Its a good habbit to use the correct abbreviation.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can with Nero Wave Editor (available with Nero cd burning software)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.download.com is also good for progs which do that.
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

then how can i saw some full length songs in WAV format and below 1Mb?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rj is right - you cant get it smaller without compromising the quality.
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't mind comprising quality. to me, as long as there is music, i'm happy. any tips on how to make the WAV file small? some websites will do.
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

any way to make it smaller than 1MB?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tested it on Nero Wave Editor - I put all the settings on the lowest possible quality and it still came out nearly 10x bigger than the original.

I do know what you mean though. Ive seen around .wav song files that were not too huge but I can't help you with how they did it.

Have you tried Google?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

maxdy wrote:

Because somebody created a .mp3, renamed it to .wav and when they loaded it up into Media Player or WinAMP, it automatically figured out that it needed an MP3 codec to play it :)
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. i will try google
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only say that ive seen those because I remember a few years back when I was a regular at a chat place called Virtual Places and they had a heap of webpages that had drop down lists with song u could play and they had pretty good sound quality and didnt take ages to load (i was on modem at the time). Like I said not sure how though search google for things like .wav file compression etc.

There are a lot of free progs out there to convert them, you just need to find out what compression you need to get it small.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
maxdy wrote:

Because somebody created a .mp3, renamed it to .wav and when they loaded it up into Media Player or WinAMP, it automatically figured out that it needed an MP3 codec to play it :)

oh yeah that could be how they did it actually - because it played through a media player imbedded into the webpage...
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
maxdy wrote:

I tried using what he said here, but the file size has only increased instead of decrease
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings Maxdy,

You might try this site: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php

It's a freeware audio program that allows you to open, edit and save audio files of varying formats including mp3 and wav.

As far as small wave files go, there is one format which might suit your needs: Microsoft adpcm wav format.

Quote:
ADPCM stands for Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation. ADPCM is a lossy compression mechanism. There are various flavors of ADPCM. This particular algorithm was suggested by Microsoft; its quality is similar to IMA ADPCM. MS ADPCM compresses data recorded at various sampling rates. Sound is encoded as a succession of 4-bit nibbles. Each nibble represents the difference between the current sampled signal value and the previous value. The compression ratio obtained is relatively modest: 16-bit data samples encoded as 4-bit differences result in 4:1 compression format.

Microsoft ADPCM is directly supported on most Windows implementations as a native format. Although the quality of IMA ADPCM voice files is not great, the files are portable. There is a real advantage in having compact files that can be played on most Windows PCs.

Windows supports Microsoft ADPCM ".wav" files at sample rates between 8 and 41KHz.

http://www.xentec.be/products/vox_studio/help/microsoft_adpcm_format.htm

I work with audio all the time on my home system. I use Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro which Adobe bought.)

Just for fun, I converted a 16bit stereo 44.1khz wav which was 39.5 MB (approx 4 min song) to a 8bit mono 8 Khz wav. This brought the file size down to about 1.8 MB. Then I saved it as a ADPCM wav which brought the size down to 930kb. The quality is not so good. It sounds like what you would hear from an AM radio without the static and other noise. It's not so bad considering the file is about 42 times smaller.

I haven't tried audacity yet but I just downloaded it to check it out. In the mean time, you might want do a google search for utilities that can save files as ADPCM Wavs. Hope this helps.

Edit: For audacity to load/save mp3s, you also have to download the lame mp3 encoder library. It's on the same page as Audacity.
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

thansks for the info man. i just find Mp3Pro which is in Nero Wave Editor. It makes the file smaller than 1MB. Try it out. It's cool
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

u find to pay for the Mp3Pro encoder at Nero site. if u want it, find me.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks but I already the nero mp3pro plugin which I rarely use. I use Adobe audition and LAME for my mp3 needs. Lately, I've been converting files to Ogg vorbis. It think they are a bit better quality wise. See ya later. 8)
  • MissJesse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: East Coast, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Soundforge 6 works just as well for almost everything you guys have mentioned. (i only skimmed, i may have missed something.) depends on whether you're willing to buy it or not i suppose. It's my personal favorite for .wav editing. although Adobe Audition is nice as well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts