Backing up to the cloud

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

With all of the recent problems I've been having with my NAS and hard drives I've been considering backing my data up to "the cloud". Which cloud, I'm not sure.

Do any of you do this? Currently a full backup of mine runs just under 35GB. Even internally, it takes about 6hours to complete so I'm not sure how long it might take running one to the intertubes will take.

Ideas are most welcome.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found this:

http://www.mypcbackup.com/

Seems pretty cool and free. Could be too good to be true though.

I use Google Drive and Dropbox for storing documents, haven't considered doing PC backups to the cloud.

***UPDATE***

http://www.mypcbackup.com is not a free service. Although it is cheap. Their unlimited plan is normally $12.95 per month but they are running a 35% discount at the moment. Their basic plan gets you 75GB for about $9 a month and their premium is 250GB for $10 a month.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was reading about Adam Levie a few days ago and was quite fascinated by his philosophy on business and life. He runs the website www.box.com which does exactly what you're looking for.

There a few different price plans. Because the site must detect where i live it only shows the price to me in GBP£. For 1000GB it costs £11 per month. There are other plans which the site requests you get in touch about, although from what i see it does look like the "business plan" seems to be what you are after going by the capacity you are looking for.

You get a free 14 day trial if you sign up to that too.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Dropbox. You get 2GB free, but to get more is moderately priced 100GB for $9.99 a month. I've heard good things about the Box also.
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if you're a windows fan but skydrive allows for 7GB. Not enough for a backup. Not sure what additional space might cost, but more free space than most out there.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

shatter2day wrote:
Not sure if you're a windows fan but skydrive allows for 7GB. Not enough for a backup. Not sure what additional space might cost, but more free space than most out there.

Eventhough the OP is looking to backup 35GB, Google Drive offers way more space than Microsoft's SkyDrive. Google gives you 15GB free, 100GB a month is only $4.99 and 200GB is $9.99.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts