U.S Bank emails

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone here use U.S. Bank? I just made my online account about a week ago and I got an email from usbank-email.com today

At first I thought this was some sort of a scam but all the links when clicked lead to us banks address.

Any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would be skeptical to say the least. Exactly, how does one create an online account? What infromation was required.

As I was typing my reply, I decided to do a whois on usbank-email.com. They are registered with network solutions.
US Bancorp Licensing, Inc
2751 Shepard Road, EP-MN-BB2
St. Paul, MN 55116

Administrative Contact Morrow, Mark ContactMiddleName
same snail mail address, domainadmin@usbank.com
1 888 642 9675
Fax 571 434 4620

You may be able to verify them, either through that information or through the FDIC
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, what does the email want ?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The email basically was just a news letter talking about what they offer.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you bank online they usually offer newsletters as a rule. If you don't bank online - have you ever given them your email address?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use online banking at US Bank and I never get any emails like that. I just goto http://www.usbank.com and login through there. I am not sure I would trust anything else.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Over here, the bank sends me emails through my internet banking account, like there is a part where I can go to see messages that the bank wants me to read. They always have a warning up on their login page that they never send anyone emails about anything. I don't know if its the same in the US.
  • Marc Xenos
  • Born
  • Born
  • Marc Xenos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here it is, 5 years later for the next comment. After doing online banking with USBank for over 3 years, I got such an email today. First time, never before. For all these years, I've had email alerts activated for various conditions. I've specifically chose NOT to get cell phone text messages. Interesting that it already covers a lot of information that only the real site should know. And it's not asking me for anything. Near as I can tell, it SEEMS to be legitimate. But since it's "just a newsletter," I don't care. Never asked for it, never needed it, so I'm not bothering to click the link. I just deleted the email. If it shows up again, I'm classing it as Spam.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The IP address that usbank-email.com resolves to is owned by http://www.infogroup.com/
(206.165.245.100)

As you can see it's a marketing company. It's entirely possible (maybe even probable) that US Bank uses them for their email marketing. The best thing you could do is contact US Bank and ask them to confirm that those emails are legitimate and that they are generated by their marketing program.

There also should be an opt-out if you don't want to receive them.
  • Marc Xenos
  • Born
  • Born
  • Marc Xenos

Post 3+ Months Ago

An Opt-Out for a suspicious email still requires opening it. Often, spammers use the Opt-Out to confirm they reached a live email account, or to install a "drive-by" malware program onto your computer. In other words, if it's legit, it's a sucker bet. Too little for me to benefit to take the risk, and if it's not legit, I haven't lost anything by deleting it.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought most banks tended to avoid sending emails out because they wanted to make it easier for people to identify what is legitimate and what is fake. Not everyone knows how to identify a phishing email and i know that my Bank won't ever send any emails out.

If my bank has anything important to let me know they will do so on my internet banking login page very clearly and/or send me a letter via good old fashioned snail mail.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I thought most banks tended to avoid sending emails out because they wanted to make it easier for people to identify what is legitimate and what is fake. Not everyone knows how to identify a phishing email and i know that my Bank won't ever send any emails out.

If my bank has anything important to let me know they will do so on my internet banking login page very clearly and/or send me a letter via good old fashioned snail mail.

Safe way to have email, don't open anything :)
  • Marc Xenos
  • Born
  • Born
  • Marc Xenos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just got a similar email from ANOTHER bank I've dealt with, online, for years. Chase Bank. But their email was a little more trustworthy: From emailnotify.chase (.com). The domain is still "chase" and the "emailnotify" is a subdomain.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts