Battery that can charge in seconds

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scientists in the US have discovered a way in which people will be able to recharge a battery in seconds. Good news for those with laptops, mp3 players or even hynrid vehicles.

Even better news is that these could be available within the next 2-3 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7938001.stm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

before i read this the first thing that poped in to my head was capacitors. maybe they are charging the capacitors witch then charge the battery's slowly..

after reading it seems like a great thing.. they will not lose charge over time. recharging a a fraction of the time and less heat to.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, this is really exciting news. I have been hearing about some of the electric cars they have been developing that have faster acceleration times and speeds as compared to regular gas cars. They even look cool. The major downtime to these cars is that they can go a distance of about 200-300 miles before needing an 2-8 hours to recharge. If they can develop some sort of technology to recharge cars much faster than that I could see electric cars really being taken serious as an alternative to gas cars. That would help the environment as well as cut energy costs and dependance on oil. Check out this link:

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Here is the spec sheet for one of their cars:

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data ... csheet.pdf

0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds
Top speed 125 MPH
Range 244 miles.

For this car they say this:

Quote:
How long does it take to recharge?

That depends on how far the battery has been discharged and what source is being used to charge the batteries. A full charge using the High Power Connector can be achieved in as little as 3.5 hours.

Attachments:
roadster.jpg

Roadster by Tesla Motors

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read about Tesla Motors' cars a few months ago. I certainly wouldn't mind driving one of those around.

Aren't they able to partially recharge the battery while driving using the resistance from the brakes or something like that?

Also, this is pretty cool:

Quote:
A team of MIT undergraduate students has invented a shock absorber that harnesses energy from small bumps in the road, generating electricity while it smoothes the ride more effectively than conventional shocks. MIT Senior Shakeel Avadhany and his teammates say they can produce up to a 10% improvement in overall vehicle fuel efficiency by using the regenerative shock absorbers.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/02 ... ts-de.html
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Honda have created a car that recharges itself while driving, and the way you drive it is completely different to how you would drive a car nowadays. It is being described as the car of the future, the technology is completely different to what you use now.

When i find out what it is i will link it here.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda funny coincidence this, as i type here on the background i have the TV showing an episode of Top Gear which is a very popular motor magazine tv program. This particular episode is talking about the aforementioned Tesla :lol:

They just raced a Tesla against a Lotus Elise and the Tesla won, which is impressive being that it is electric.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is slightly off topic but still related:

The other day I was thinking about LEDs and solar panels. How close are we to creating a solar panel that can be powered by the LED that it is powering? I know that is pretty comparable to a perpetual motion machine, but theoretically you could make a super efficient & sensitive solar panel and a super bright & efficient LED. You would have to give it a little jolt of energy to get it started, but in theory it could power itself right?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The same way I'd imagine regular power plants (nuclear, coal, etc) power themselves. The power required to run the plant is far less than what it generates.

The problem isn't trying to find efficient solar energy, it's getting off our lazy asses and actually doing it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's one giant hole in that theory kc. Even if a system were developed that powered itself, as soon as something attempted to tap the power the system would fail.

Theoreticly, perfect conversions could create perpetual motion, but unless we're wrong about whether matter can be created/destroyed, such a system can not produce any excess energy.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Theoreticly, perfect conversions could create perpetual motion, but unless we're wrong about whether matter can be created/destroyed, such a system can not produce any excess energy.

You mean energy right? (Referring to the bolded words).

Not really... what I imaging KC to be saying is having the energy moved in a circle... while the circuit explained by KC (as I have understood it) would not fully charge the source (such as a battery) it could still recharge it to an extent... it has a limit.

What I am thinking here, is... let's say a battery is lighting a light bulb... the light bulb converts the energy given to it from the battery to light and heat... while the light is necessary (That is the desired use of the light bulb... right? :lol:) the heat is just a side-effect that the light bulb doesn't really need... why not convert the heat to energy and return that to the battery to recharge it? I'm aware that that would require some new technology... just theoretically speaking here :)

I wonder if they could convert some of the heat that is coming off of an engine to energy and use that to recharge, or the heat caused by friction on moving parts in the engine or something like that.

---
While I know that I want a Tesla engine car, I also know that I won't be buying one any time soon as they are quite expensive ($109,000).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I mean. :)
If there's any truth to Quantum Mechanics, simply looking to see if such a system is working would disturb the balance and break it. Perhaps that is why the universe appears to be such a chaotic place.

Something I can't help but wonder about if we do switch from gas to electric cars en-mass, is where is all this extra electricity going to come from for charging batteries ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It makes sense in my little peanut brain, but I guess if it was seriously possible then the scientists would be doing it already.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
This is what I mean. :)

Since we are talking about Batteries and efficiency of energy I just thought that you may have meant this.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technically Bogey, matter and energy are the same thing ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Technically Bogey, matter and energy are the same thing ;)

Alright then... makes sense

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts