Becoming Vegetarian

• Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I am taking the step and cutting red meats particularly out of my diet.

My reason?

I can't handle meat, it makes me feel sick, for some strange reason. And I would rather eat a whole plate of steamed vegies, over steak anyday.

Although I am not going totally overboard, I will still eat cheese and drink milk, and eat eggs, and chicken occasionally.

I think this has been coming all of my life, lol, I refused to eat any kind of meat until I was about 11 - 12 years old, and I have always been a very big activist against the way our game meat is treated prior to slaughter.

So I guess its lots of vegies, and free range eggs and chickens for me from now on!

I am actually really excited.

Is anyone else a vegetarian? Or does anyone know anyone who is?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a vegetarian, but i'm particular on the kinds of meats i will eat. Funnily enough, it wasn't until i was in Australia (sept 07-Feb 08) when i first really had a good Scotch Beef Steak on the barbeque. I absolutely love Scottish Beef (and it's not because i am from the country of origin).
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am carnivorous, all the way. But, I do enjoy many vegetarian dishes. I especially love vegetarian Indian food.

I think one of the hardest things about being vegetarian is 1) getting enough protein in your diet and 2) having a variety of meals that are satisfying.

What about fish? I've known several veggers who ate fish. Not too many that ate chicken, though.

Good luck!
  • zero_digit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also shifting to the veggy side , little by little :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a vegetarian, but I totally love all veggies. When you think you want a steak just get yourself a couple grilled portabellas. Yumm!!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Veggies are the work of the devil and I will not eat them.

Truth be told, I do like corn, lettuce, and a few others but for the most part you can keep the evil things away from me and give me a nice big juicy steak instead.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll eat just about anything. Especially if it's free ;)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

My roommate, and ex-room mate were both vegetarians. It's a really unhealthy way to live, and completely robs your body of nutrients.

No question it's a hard choice, makes you get old fast and really hurts your health. But if it's what you want more power to you!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I wanted to eat veggies, I would put on big ears and pretend I was a rabbit.....

Veggies are just filler for when your steak isn't big enough to fill you up.....

good luck defying nature, LOL, to each his own!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Especially if it's free ;)

That is my number one rule in life about everything, except STDs ... ofcourse
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What? does that mean you'd pay for STDs?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... no ... I just skip them all together ...
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you read my original post, I said I wasn't going to give up all animal products, basically just red meat, mainly because of the fact it makes me sick to eat it, I don't know if its a medical sickness, or a imaginary sickness, but all the same, I don't like feeling sick when I eat something lol.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Divinyl, I'd say what you're taking on is a healthy lifestyle change, but doesn't really count as vegetarianism in my book.... chickens are animals too :D

I'm very ambiguous about the concept of vegetarianism, and I think a lot of people go into it for the wrong reasons (because they have moralistic issues with killing animals). But this falls down on so many levels... they should take off their leather shoes, for once. Also, what makes plants less alive than animals?? My aunt had this really sweet t-shirt that said:

'I'm a vegetarian not because I love animals, but because I hate plants!!'

That always struck a cord with me. Plants are alive, people - and it's even more cruel to kill them, because they can't fight you or run away.....

and if you go all the way silly vegan and only eat fruit that fell off the tree - first, you're still a dirty sinner cuz you're not letting the fruit's seed reproduce the plant, and second, you'll die of malnutrition, as camper pointed out.

Divinyl's reason, however, is a much better one - if some food doesn't agree with you - and it doesn't have to be red meat - then it's a natural thing to phase it out of your diet. and red meat is not dreadfully good for you anyways. Though it is tasty. And reminds me of another quote - 'if God didn't intend us to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?' :)

I don't eat much red meat myself, but I never thought of myself as a vegetarian... :D
  • grishamist
  • Student
  • Student
  • grishamist

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like veggie but I also want to eat meat. But I want to be vegetarian, it's just that I need to gain weight because of the stress at work.
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love a juicy steak. It's the best thing in this world for me. Nice medium rare 24 Ounce cut of southern cow ass surprise.. Yeee haw!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Give me a Ribeye (rare - medium rare) anyday!

A baked potato tastes better after it's soked up the extra blood
  • Robin007
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I can't imagine my life without meet. To my mind, it is very healthy, especially beef instead of pork.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah you bloody steak eaters will learn once you get one not cooked quite enough and get sick. I quit eating steak for about a year when I was younger after I got sick. I get parahnoid about seeing water from vegetables mixing with spices and turning red under my meat these days.

I like just about everything as long as it's safe to eat. I'm not very picky at all except I don't like etremely bland or extremely strong tasting foods like limabeans or asparagus.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think I've ever had limabeans... :) I don't much like asparagus though. I like meat pretty raw if it's qood quality meat - love beef carpaccio..... mmm with rocket, mustard and pesto..... on warm buttered toast........ and pine nuts..... yum.....

not the most vegetarian meal, but there you go...

I do like lots of fruit and veggies though - probably more than the average person... and I'm obsessed with food variety. I'll go out of my way to eat things I've never had before or that aren't often found on the market........ (as long as they're not too yucky or slimy)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Limabeans are kinda like eating moist chalk. They're supposed to be really good for you though so I eat them now and then in soups and stuff.

When it comes to vegetables the best ones for you health-wise seem to always have a really bland or really strong flavor.

The strong tasting ones like asparagus and avacado are the ones with all of the vitimins & the bland ones like limabeans and uhhh, the other bland ones, are the ones with stuff like calcium for bones and fiber for your pooper.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm...

I like avocado. I never thought of it as having a very strong flavor. How do you do with spinach or broccoli? those are both quite good for you and not with too overpowering flavors...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like raw spinach in salads. I think it tastes strong if it's cooked though. It's the same for me with broccoli, except I like it with dip and baby carrots rather than in salads.
I'd only eat cauliflower if I had no other choice, that stuff's horrible. It would be awesome if someone made vegetable platters with broccoli but no cauliflower.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must be weird, I don't think there is a vegetable I don't like. I can't think of any.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Asparagus rules! Seriously, I love the stuff - even though it makes my pee smell funny. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts