It's been a week

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since I've stopped smoking, and I must tell you that people that tell you that you feel better and more healthy etc are lying, I actually feel worse, my nose is all blocked up and I have a sore in my mouth that won't go away, and I actually breathe heavier now ... I hpe this doesn't keep up for too long ... Has anyone else stopped here who can tell me if this is normal ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it is normal RT. It's been a year and a half since I quit and I never felt better in my life.

According to some doctors with whom I talked to, before I quit, the first two weeks, your body will try to recover from all the damage caused by smoking. Your soreness in your mouth and throat and your nose blocked, are more like symptoms of your body cleaning itself. They'll go away as the days pass, don't worry. I've been there too :wink:
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some more info:

http://www.notosmoke.com/herbal-smoking ... mptoms.htm

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/withdrawal1.htm
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks bro ... I'm going to check that out right now ... And I must tell you that I am very relieved that this won't last too long ...

On another note, I must admit that it was way easier than I thought ... I really thought I was going to be in for one helluva ride here ... but after one day I was fine ... we even went out the evening after I stopped and I didn't crave a smoke once ... It's more the habit that is harder getting rid of, like every time I get in my car I have a habit of reaching to the compartment between the seats and reaching for a smoke ... funny ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you were in ruff shape before you quit smoking.

Give it time.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I know how it feels. I used to smoke almost everywhere too.

You only need to ignore the carving just one time, on every situation where you used to smoke, and your body will end up forgetting you had that habit and the next time it will be a lot easier.

It has been said that we, humans, are creatures of habits *lol
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And by the way Joe, I gained a few pounds as you told me hehe :D

Watch out for that RT, don't eat more to substitute the cigarettes.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or if you do eat more, don't forget to also increase the amount of exercise you do. :D

I forgot how long ago I quit smoking, I think it's been a couple of years now. I could probably figure it out by going through my posts at Ozzu, I'm pretty sure I smoked when I got here. :scratchhead:

I went to the bar with some friends last nite, usually when I visit this particular friend I end up smoking a cigerette or three but I Bill Clinton them. I didn't even do that last nite, smoking didn't even cross my mind come to think of it. :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

R_T, I've got an idea for you: every time you want a cigarette, have a beer instead. :D
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good advice, if you don't quit at least you'll be so drunk you'll forget about it :lol:

I remember that I was counting every day until I crossed the year, since then I stopped counting. My goal was to quit at least for a year, I was sure that if I didn't smoke and exercise more for a year, my body will forget about it, and it did. :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
R_T, I've got an idea for you: every time you want a cigarette, have a beer instead. :D

I don't think that's a good idea ... Cigarettes and beer go hand in hand for me ... I think I'll replace beer with something different for a while ... maybe double brandy and coke ...
labrego wrote:
I remember that I was counting every day until I crossed the year, since then I stopped counting. My goal was to quit at least for a year, I was sure that if I didn't smoke and exercise more for a year, my body will forget about it, and it did. :D

I'm not going to count the days I think, I'm just going to stop smoking ... And so far it's going pretty good, I do realize that I am eating a little more, but I have replaced smoking with exercise when at home, so when I really do feel like a smoke, I turn to hundredpushups.com ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

And then have another beer for celebration for not smoking even though you really wanted it!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good for you, r_t.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
spork wrote:

And then have another beer for celebration for not smoking even though you really wanted it!

lol ... excellent ... I like that idea ...
George L. wrote:
Good for you, r_t.

Why thank you ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you really can't have beer anymore, then let me know whenever you get a craving, and I'll have a beer for you.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me too.

Is the three day hump a real deal? They say that if you are quitting smoking and you can make it three days straight, then the rest is all easy from there.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds like something that would be said by Big Tobacco to trick someone who's trying to quit into thinking about cigerettes.

I think of it this way, if you're paying attention to trendy sounding situations around quitting, you're already doomed to relapse.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

r_t, I hope you're successful.

If you need any motivation, I can tell you this; The longer you smoke, the HARDER it is to give it up.

Don't quit quitting. You might inspire me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys need to go out and get youorselves a nice chest cold, that was more than enough to help me quit. :D
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really sure that will work for everyone. I remember I used to smoke even when I was sick, but I have to admit that it could help :lol:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. Unfortunately, I've smoked through some pretty good illnesses.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

R_T asked Why..and Thank me:

Why? It's good not just in the Health aspect. If I make a conventional remark that smoking cause cancer, besides that; you can save more money, you have better breath; (sometimes I can smell someone who smoked from a feet), you don't have to rely on something in your life that maybe 1 day might kill you, or costs you a lot. You are more independent in a sense that you're just you, the Web Designer who sometimes still drink. If I were you I'd go the 'buddha' way. Do some meditation, think calm stuff like that.

I don't even drink I can't believe I quit it. About coffee, I now limit to only 2 cups per day maximum, sleep at 12-1AM latest, and would get up at 7AM. And I'd get very busy through out the day.

I can write more, but it'd be out of topic already, sorry for this long post..

R_T, yes you can. I did it too. :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I'm over it ... I was fine after the first day ... maybe for some people it's three, but for me it took one day ... So yeah I'm still coping ... it's easy really ... much easier than people make it out to be ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good boy R_T!!! :D

I guess it's different for everyone. In my last office over the period of about a year around 12 different people all quit smoking - it was like a quitting epidemic. The girl sitting across from me had been smoking for more than a decade, and she had a rough time with it - not so much trouble actually stopping, but everything R_T describes - she was just sick constantly for a few months, with all sorts of different illnesses. Also she piled on about 10 additional kilos. But she's taken it all off now and says she feels like a million bucks.........
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
But she's taken it all off now and says she feels like a million bucks.........

:D That sounds really a fun thing to do, maybe I should take up smoking again and quit after a ten years so I will feel a million dollars.

:)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

So this way, you will have to quit drinking later on :lol:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... replacing smoking with drinking isn't a very very good idea ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you meant to say, it's a fantastic idea.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... yeah, typo on my part ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Don't quit quitting. You might inspire me.

Been more than two weeks now ... Inspired yet ... ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts