Best movie of 2008

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today the American Film Institute announced what they believe to be the best movies of 2008. This list is as follows...

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
THE DARK KNIGHT
FROST/NIXON
FROZEN RIVER
GRAN TORINO
IRON MAN
MILK
WALL•E
WENDY AND LUCY
THE WRESTLER

I've actually only seen three of the movies listed (Dark Knight, Wall•E, and Iron Man) and of the three The Dark Knight is the only one that has really stood out as being a classic. I enjoyed Iron Man but felt that it was kinda over-rated. I am kinda confused as to why Wall•E is in the list as it really wasn't that good a movie. It wasn't lame, however it just didn't really prove to be one of the best.

I saw a trailer for the movie "The Wrestler" recently and i kinda liked how it looked. The kind of movie i like to watch, something that has a decent story etc etc. So i'll look into seeing that one sometime.

As you may have guessed though, i am a pretty big "Dark Knight" fan. I believe that this was the best movie of 2008.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Dark Night also gets my seal of approval. I agree that Iron Man was overrated but nevertheless I still thought it was pretty damn good.

Haven't seen any of the others on the list.
  • altyfc
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where's Madagascar 2 in the list? :)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

@SB - funny, those are exactly the three that I saw from that list... I thought Benjamin Button wasn't out yet? I only saw the trailer yesterday....

I thought wall•e was adorable - but that might be down to the fact that I'm a girl... dark knight was definitely good, 'specially because of the charmingly insane villain of course. Iron Man I liked quite a lot, but it felt far too short - or at least the actual Iron Man sequences felt far too short.... there was too much of the other stuff, not enough of the main attraction. Otherwise fun - and robert downey did a pretty decent job I thought....
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are the 3 that I saw from the list as well. Dark Knight was definitely the stand out of Iron Man/Dark Knight/Wall-E although Wall-E was a close second. One of the best pixar movies if not the best that I've seen.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think Pixar have released something better than Cars yet. That was just an awesome movie with a really good story.

Don't get me wrong, i make it sound like i dislike Wall-E which isn't the case. It was pretty funny and the story was sort of thought provoking. However i don't think it was one of the best of the year.
  • om27
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • om27

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion "The Dark Knight" is the best movie of the year.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to get out more, haven't seen a single movie in that list.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh kc0tma you need to stay in more :D and download some films....

wall•e is a sweet film but it had major pacing issues. and it ain't for kids - not even a little bit. I loved it to bits all the same... I mean a robot that likes retro stuff and has a pet cockroach - what's not to love? :D

cars was a wicked film, but I have to say I'd argue that toy story (both 1 and 2, shockingly) could compete for the place of best film. that one really got me way back when. but pixar generally kicks hiney when it comes to animation....
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally saw The Dark Knight last nite and it was pretty good. I didn't like the Clint Eastwood accent they gave Batman though, it just seemed really out of place.
I can't say I agree with all the rave about Heath Ledgers Joker performance either. It seemed like anyone could have played that role the way he did it. I probably shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but I think a lot of the praise is centered around respect for the dead rather than the performance itself.

I think this The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button is going to be pretty good. It just seems like one of those movies that get Academy/etc awards.
A Forrest Gump, A Beautiful Mind, Radio, etc sort of movie that just about everyone can relate to.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
heh kc0tma you need to stay in more :D and download some films....

Aren't you the naughty one?

I saw half of Wall-e and I admit it isn't for kids. My kids (9 and 13) didn't like it, thank god I didn't pay money for it ;)

I haven't seen Dark Knight yet or Iron Man for that matter. I was never big into comic books so the movie renditions don't really appeal to me.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do download movies....semi legally.....I just never got the irresistable urge to watch them. I'm not much one for the animated stuff like walle, and most of those others I've never heard of.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of downloading movies, is there anyone here subscribed to Netflix that's watching their online catalog on a Linux PC ?

I'm thinking about getting someone a Netflix account for Christmas and since they don't have/use a PC I'm thinking I can use the online part of the account myself. :D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You HAVE to use Internet Explorer when viewing movies online. That irritates me to no end.
  • theviralguy
  • theviralguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm not much of a list if you ask me... it doesny have any of the good movies of 2008
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
You HAVE to use Internet Explorer when viewing movies online. That irritates me to no end.

Is there something that doesn't irritate you Mr Grinch? It's almost Christmas, so we understand, don't worry :D

My daughters (10 and 12) didn't like Wall-e neither. It was a bit boring in the middle but it was a good. I haven't seen Dark Night or Iron Man, so I cannot express a point of view on that but, I never liked the Batman sequels, they make him look too dork and I really like the batman in the comics.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never saw dark knight either, and I didn't really like the other batman movies also. I did like spiderman even though those aren't 2008 movies, especially the part 3 because I saw it in the Imax on Navy Pier in Chicago, that was freaking awesome with the gajillian watt digital sound and the big ass screen.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have only seen iron Man of all the movies in that list ... And like most people here said, it was good, but could've been better ... I am not much of a TV/movie watcher these days, I have other things that occupy my time ...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing about Batman though is they completely recreated the movies when the Batman Begins movie came out a few years ago. They made his character real and not like a superhero. They made it like he was just an alias (which they kinda tell you about in the first one).

It's the same with the Joker, he is a real human being who is clearly just crazy.

Take away the whole Batman and Joker parts and think about the Dark Knight story, it clearly is very well thought out and pretty damn clever. I've never seen a movie that demonstrates the difference between good and bad like the Dark Knight does. It's actually quite scary in a way how well they do it because it really does make you wonder.

I remember watching the movie for the first time genuinely feeling aggressive and violent, even though i wasn't. The Jokers performance really made me feel so different, which i guess is why Heath Ledger is receiving the credit he has been for his performance. For that reason i have to disagree with Joebert here in a way. I agree that some of the praise has been added purely down to the focus of his role in the movie after his death, but his performance was very good...easily his best in any movie i have seen of his.

All the previous Batman's before "Batman Begins" are completely different in comparison to the last two. These two are exactly how they should have been made in the first place.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't seen a single 2008 movie yet, unless Ocean's 13 came out in 2008. If it didn't, then Ocean's 13 is the only movie from 2007 I saw. I think the last time I was at a movie theater may have been 2005. And I'm thinking of canceling HBO because it's $18 a month extra that I rarely use.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

18 bucks a month when you are already paying for internet, with access to hulu and serfthechannel and joost. Honestly, if my cable didn't come with my apartment I probably would just pick up a few local channels off the air and keep my internet for the remainder of television.
  • marylane
  • marylane

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, I only saw three of the movies. The dark knight is great, wonderful graphics, acting, who da thunk for a batman movie? The wall.e sounds good, I will be renting that soon, actually I am taking this list to blockbuster and renting them all.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best movie of 08 by far is "Step Brothers"

lol if your in to dumb humor.....
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
The best movie of 08 by far is "Step Brothers"

lol if your in to dumb humor.....

I'll have to watch that one again. I can't say i ever felt it being that great, but then again i am one of the people that would say that Anchorman was Will Ferrel's funniest movie. I'll see it again when it comes out on rental over here.
  • rianvisser
  • rianvisser

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also enjoyed the dark night, but I would have to say that I enjoyed the movie Burn After Reading
  • j3N
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what i understand you need windows media player for netflix to be operational as well...
  • soul2skin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tend to like most movies ,Iron man,benjamin buttons,wall-e,were all great but I would have to agree Dark Knight was probally the best one of the 4 I would watch.I will watch gran torino today so this might change but I doubt it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

rianvisser wrote:
but I would have to say that I enjoyed the movie Burn After Reading

I'll agree with you here. It was an oddly funny movie which had some really confusing yet hilarious scenes in it. Worth watching.
  • adalia76
  • Born
  • Born
  • adalia76

Post 3+ Months Ago

The dark knight And Wall-e Are best movies for me i really love to watch these movies again with my husband and kids
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Righteous Kill, even though it came out on DVD in 2009, is still listed as a 2008 release and was pretty good. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts