Better definition of affiliate?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone better define the term "affiliate" for me? On my site I want to create a system that works something like what I would describe below, but I don't want to misuse the term "affiliate".

Basically, what I would have is something like a self-promotion thing. My members could promote my site and in turn get discounts. This would be highly regulated with a strict policy (rules) to prevent my server to be blacklisted (if, at all, possible) and to prevent spamming other sites way too many times that possible.

Here is how it would work. A user of my site would be allowed to post a certain amount of links at a site with http://www.site.com?affiliate=username somewhere in a post of another site. Like an ad, but it would have to be in such a way as to be not considered as spam.

When another user clicks that link and goes to my site, the username who's affiliate is checked gets an affiliate ranking. For every 10 affiliate ranks, the user gets some discount on my services... haven't dicided how much.

That link MUST have a referrer though, so I know from where that user came from. If there is no referrer, than that click wouldn't do much good. There must be some regulation on that though that the user doesn't just use a different computer and click that link him/herself :lol:

Anyway, is that a good idea? Will that work? Is the term "affiliate" misused there?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're correct, it's not an affiliate. It's not even an associate. The closest word you used is referrer. I know that has to do with the source link but you could use:
referrer=username or referrer_contact=username
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks don. I greatly appreciate your help here :D Thanks so much.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only question I got right now is, is it a good idea? What is a better term to call it?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are the best choices that I have to offer. By all means, look for other opinions.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Those are the best choices that I have to offer. By all means, look for other opinions.

:D I'm hoping for some other opinions.

I also want to know if that's a good idea if anyone could tell me :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts