Big Brother

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well over here in the UK we have just had a new big brother start. Which is basically 12 people put in a house stuffed with cameras that can see everything they do and hear what they talk about.

This year we have got some quite unusual charactors in it. Some of these include -

A transexual (but no one knows that she is)
A camp homosexual that claps his hands annoyingly when excited
A lesbian who's got mental healt issues
A bodybuilder air steward who walked in the house wearing nothing but a thong.

And some more rather outragious people.

I just wondered whether big brother is big in other countrys? and if so do you watch it?

I always say to myself that im not gonna watch it but then after watching it a few nights i get hooked and cant get enough of it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yeah, i've been drawn in too :oops: it's just so funny with the characters in there. you just know somethings gonna kick off! well done on the part of channel 4 to make it so appealing.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

(not so) *reality* television.

ugh.

:roll:

I'd rather be watching REAL sports.

.c
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh god, trust me you will get sick and anoyed with this particular series
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had the chance to watch this series yet, i don't like the fact that channel 4 are putting mixed up, strange people in the house so they can take advantage of them and increase ratings.

If they put some more normal, everyday people in the show (like the first series with Craig being the winner) surely that would being in the ratings because viewers actually like the people?

whos_wee_dug?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish they would make a Surviver show, where the people actually have to survive.... the show is opened ended, and will continue, month after month, year after year, until there is only one person left. The cameras are set up in arrays around a desert island all over the place, no camera crew, no medics, nothing. If you get too sick to function, or you get hurt, there is a team ready to evac you, but the players get NO CONTACT with anyone but each other.

If you leave, either by sickness, injury or request, you can't come back.

No silly games, no rewards, nothing. Just survival of the fittest.

Now, THAT'S a show I could get into. =] These current "reality" shows are trivial BS psudo-realities... I feel like I actually become dumber for having watched them...

.c
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheh
(at) carnix, japanese came out with a similar show as you described, ages ago..

survival of the fittest..

-A class of high school kids thrown into different parts of an island and every 30 mins, particular zones will be detonated. they form different mini-teams to survive and some started killing each other to survive. .. long movie. but quite unique.

show is called "battle royale"
u shld check it out!

I always thought survivors' concept came from that movie...
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, well, u could learn alot about a person that way! :D
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have Big Brother in Australia. Its in its fourth year running.
Its hosted by a woman named Gretel Kileen and she gets the crowd so riled up they actually have parties for the eviction shows, Late Night big brother, Nomination Big Brother, merchanise, ebay, live cams on the net etc etc etc.
Some of them are a riot but the show pisses me off!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

@ madmonk, I wouldn't say that battle royale is that <i>origina</i>l. I'm sure it has some roots in lord of the flies. Just LoTF with guns and adults accellerating the violence.

Very good film though - I would recomend it to anyone.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

(at) rtm223, I am not sure which film came out first.
or which is the original...
battle royale or LotF... both are pretty old :lol:
but I have seen Lotf. It's a classic.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Despite its later popularity, William Golding's Lord of the Flies was only a modest success when it was first published in England in 1954

The film was based upon a classic book. I dont think battle royale was shot that long ago :lol:

http://www.enotes.com/flies/

edit lol, i'm not sure if this is a remake of something, but look at:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

I thought it was much older than that :lol:
  • canski
  • canski

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically in Australia we have a uneducated dreadlock guy a german/ aussi citicen, and some loud ppl.

all the people at school r relly sik of big brother cos it is th 4th season here and ppl generally hat it a lot, i fact most ppl i no hat it bad, same with survivor. anyway hope it helped???
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

anything to do wif reality tv sux
reality tv basically allows peple to group together and have character conflict. then viewers will see bitching,arguments and mini groups formed.

abt battle royale- dont think it has some roots from lotf.
realli u have to watch it and see dat they r essentially different movies.
though it may not be as old as lotf.....lmao.... 1950s ? wow..
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the whole point of LOTF is that if you group people together away from civilisation, they will stop behaving in a civilised way. Without rules or boundries most people would fall back into barbarism - which is true.

In battle royale the situation is different, but the social statement is kind of the same. How many of the kids in BR were not prepared to kill at all - one or two. The rest didn't want to kill their close friends but were happy to gun down their other classmates.

They are different stories, and as I remember the film of LOTF takes a little bit of "artistic liscence" in the adaption from the book, but I'm sure there is an influence.

As I have said nothing on topic yet: reality tv is moronic, they have deliberately chosen the people to cause a sensation. Each year big brother gets more and more rediculous and more lame. It's a sorry state of affairs that no-one in the media seem unable to write scripts and plots anymore, and even worse that most of the public are lame enough and unhappy enough about their own lives to find such enjoyment watching other people's.

Also, can someone explain to me the "reality" part, I seem to have missed it :roll:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
reality tv is moronic, they have deliberately chosen the people to cause a sensation. Each year big brother gets more and more rediculous and more lame. It's a sorry state of affairs that no-one in the media seem unable to write scripts and plots anymore, and even worse that most of the public are lame enough and unhappy enough about their own lives to find such enjoyment watching other people's.

I agree with rtm. I only watched the first survivor. That was as far as I got for reality TV. Well, I take that back, I also used to watch Fear Factor. LOL that one was actually fun in a sick...twisted sort of way. anyway, Reality TV is waaaaay overated nowadays, the first year was bad enough, now its lost it originality and its become monotonous. The same damn thing just dumber people.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish they will stop all these reality Tv . It's getting more irritating with every new one .
I stopped at the first survivor too.

but every now and then, I hear abt people telling me how awesome it is.. thats the irritating part.

a Simpsons reality tv sounds more interesting. lol
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if its' in the US. I've never heard of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts