Black software testers

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently there aren't any at Hewlett-Packard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DT3tQqgRM
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to hand it to HP though, their response is pretty good. Maybe BS, but well-thought-out IMO.

Quote:
"Some of you may have seen or heard of a YouTube video in which the facial-tracking software didn't work for a customer. We thank Desi, and the people who have seen and commented on his video, for bringing this subject to our attention.

"We are working with our partners to learn more. The technology we use is built on standard algorithms that measure the difference in intensity of contrast between the eyes and the upper cheek and nose. We believe that the camera might have difficulty "seeing" contrast in conditions where there is insufficient foreground lighting. While we work on this, take a look here for more information on the impact of lighting on facial tracking software, and how to optimize your webcam experience: http://bit.ly/7HsZHD

"We will continue to listen to you and work to deliver great experiences. We invite you to connect with us on the discussion boards and forums here on The Next Bench or on Twitter at @HP_PC. "
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait to see if videos of black folks with the same problem start rolling into Youtube over the next few weeks.

How could they not catch this during testing ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to see the "Sittin on the toilet" rap chick do a field test.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's only one way I could have possibly believed that video isn't spoofed, and that would have been to see it recorded by 3 cameras at the same time. One from the angle they shot, one from behind and one from the side. On the latter two I would want to see the camera in the picture, and I'd like the liberty to sink up the voice on all three pieces of footage to make sure they matched.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't watch TV, but I am totally positive I have heard a radio clip of some show with Alex Baldwin in it, where this exact same issue is spoofed, vis, there is some surveillance technology that doesn't see black people, and the chick says to Alex:

"It's not racist to ignore people." :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts