Block

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the last couple of years i have not devoted alot of time towards website design to the point where anything i did learn is more or less down the pan and i am stuck having to start from scratch. I promised someone i would complete a website for them a few years ago and to this date nothing has been finalised despite the template nearly ready to be used in order to finish things off.

The thing i have found though is i really just don't know where to go from here, i got stuck with some issue and in turn i sort of gave up and since then i have not progressed further. As you can imagine this is a pretty big slap in the face for me when it comes to proving my credibility and reliability. I really just want to progress, but my knowledge is at a pretty low low.

I currently have two websites online, both of which have been sitting doing nothing for over a year. In fact, one of my websites has had a Scrooge style Christmas message on it since December 2008. Changing text is a really easy thing, but it's trying to want to find the time to do it that is the problem.

If you are ever at a point in time where you just find yourself in a "web designer block" what do you do to move on and progress?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should add that i have a week off work starting today, so i very much intend on doing alot to all 3 of the sites i am working on. Fingers crossed something inspires me to start kicking butt.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my experience, there are two types of websites that are almost impossible to work on.

1. The one you promise to do for a friend who is willing to let it sit for 3 years without calling and saying, "Hey! How 'bout that site?" or "I really need my site. I've written and gathered a bunch of content plus some ideas."

2. My own site.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Actually not overly concerned about my websites, more concerned about the other one. It's dragged on for way too long.

As soon as i finish doing the template though i don't intend to do anything else to that site and i'll make that clear to the website owner.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to love working on my own sites. Now I'm either afraid I'm going to screw up a sites rankings or in the case of new sites it's become a routine and actually seems like work.

I do however, find joy in figuring out ways to automate things. That never gets old. :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
...it's become a routine and actually seems like work.

Isn't that how it always is though? I'm guessing a lot of us here probably started designing or programming or what ever mainly just for fun or as a hobby, then one day we realized that we could make a little bit of cash on it. Then personal interests change but we still have the obligation to our clients, so the fun is absent and the job is tedious.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If you are ever at a point in time where you just find yourself in a "web designer block" what do you do to move on and progress?

I usually google a few things to get my mind working on new challenges. I usually google something like "web design trends of 2009" or "jQuery plugin", or "CSS tricks". I just look around at some different perspectives on things, new ideas, fresh code examples. Then I look around me at my surroundings, get some paper and a pencil and start drawing them.

After I have a few ideas, it's time to get back to business and start putting my favorites into the design. By then my "block" is long gone and I really get into what I'm doing.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of times when I'm at work and I'm having a hard time doing even the simplest of tasks, I drink one of those little 5 hour energy shots. They don't taste too great and they're kind of expensive, but they do work. I wouldn't describe it as having more energy, but more of a boost in motivation and focus. Just don't drink more than two or three of them in a week because you'll get some baaad gas. Trust me.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that having a mate helping out with a project motivates me - you don't want to let him down, and it becomes less of a chore - because you're working with a friend.

If you don't have any web-designer friends who are free, try showing a normal (non-web-designer) friend. They'll hopefully give constructive criticism, and you'll get motivated to show them the changes in a few hours.

Alternatively, get a whiteboard. I write all the tasks I have to do ("fix that bloody corner div", etc) on my whiteboard by my desk. It's very satisfying to see them all crossed off by the end of the day.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just get a break from programming and then decide I will quit... after that my interest rekindles and I'm back at coding :lol:

But I guess that is what you probably did. What I like to do when I'm stuck is post my problem at Ozzu and annoy people here with easy problems that my mind can't grasp... but that is because the box is my prison... I can't get my mind out of it... there's no door.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
What I like to do ... is post ... easy problems that my mind can't grasp

So that's why you're on 7000+ posts! :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:
Bogey wrote:
What I like to do ... is post ... easy problems that my mind can't grasp

So that's why you're on 7000+ posts! :D

Not all of it :P Those easy problems are probably about 30% of my post count...

I try to help more that I ask for help, but I don't know how that is going.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
But I guess that is what you probably did. What I like to do when I'm stuck is post my problem at Ozzu and annoy people here with easy problems that my mind can't grasp... but that is because the box is my prison... I can't get my mind out of it... there's no door.

I've done that in the past, a few times. What i found happens though is there is an explanation made about the problem without so much info going towards a solution.

Ozzu has been great to me in the past, but when it comes to some of the easier problems there is not always the advice i hope to achieve from here.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree - just typing it out and explaining the problem in a way that others can understand often clarifies it in your mind, letting you solve it easily.

And if it's late at night and you're frustrated/stuck, go to sleep! Your mind will have processed the problem, and you'll be all refreshed to tackle it the following morning.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't tell you how many times I've figured something out before I finished typing it out. That's why you see a bunch of threads where it looks like I'm talking to myself. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts