bored.....

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gaw! I wish this day would freaking hurry up and get over! One hour and 33 minutes left until quitting time at this moment.

So what does everybody do at work when they are completely lacking motivation to do anything and are bored out of their minds?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I'm not surfing Ozzu, it's Reddit, ycombinator, or TN Gun Owners forum. If I'm done with those too, then I will pick up a book I have around the office like Webworks in Action, Smart (Enough) Systems, etc. that my boss keeps lying around and try to learn something new about my last-completed project. I find that doing the code teaches me the how, but researching the theory behind the code teaches me the why.

The more I find myself working towards a Sr. Dev. position, the more I find my management team challenging me. Having a simple understanding of why the company chose the technologies they chose (and why they work the way they do) helps as the projects get more complex.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

still bored.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha I suppose you could always run around the building holding a flashlight and screaming about the power being out despite everything running. That's bound to draw some attention and waste some time.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. How about fooling around with your colleagues? That works for me. Or if I am the last person in the office. I check out instrumental songs on youtube and I sing like it is my concert and I look straight at the security cam. I sometimes tease but not the sexual one. Really fun.

I'll let you guys know if I am fired.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I play online poker. But I play it on a separate laptop. I'm usually multi-tasking on one or two other projects on different computers at the same time.
  • chantel
  • chantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I go to make another cup of coffee and I'va hope to find someone to talk to.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, definitely should have dumped half of that tea out and filled it with unsweetened. I'm not feeling so hot.

I don't think I'm going to do McDonalds for breakfast anymore, every time I do something goes wrong.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh oh. Got a bit of a sugar buzz going now? :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mcdonalds for breakfast? cannot think of anything less appealing in the world. Only reason i would go there for breakfast is if i was about to start a long journey in the car and it was relatively early and i could do the drive through and grab a coffee.

Ideally though Starbucks would be perfect :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Uh oh. Got a bit of a sugar buzz going now? :)

I've always had to watch my sugar. I don't have to take insulin or anything, but if I have anything that's too sweet, especially liquids where it can be absorbed pretty much immediately, I get a stomach ache, I can feel any small air flow moving every hair on my arms/legs, and my face goes flush. It's not a pleasant experience. I completely shut everyone around me out and focus on something constructive to keep me occupied and speed up the flow through my system for about an hour when it happens.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
haha I suppose you could always run around the building holding a flashlight and screaming about the power being out despite everything running. That's bound to draw some attention and waste some time.

Jenie0109 wrote:
How about fooling around with your colleagues?

I work in a school, so I kind of have to be neither seen nor heard most of the time so that I don't disturb student's studies. I'm looking forward to this afternoon though, we have a "surprise" fire drill scheduled so that will be a good 15 or 20 minutes of occupation.

joebert wrote:
I don't think I'm going to do McDonalds for breakfast anymore, every time I do something goes wrong.

Same here, but for any meal at McD's. There better be a bathroom pretty close by about 30 minutes after I eat any sort of fast food, that junk does a number on my insides.

I'm actually steadily busy this morning, its kind of nice. Just out of weird coincidence I had 3 printers that needed new toner first thing this morning, then in the VocTech class they started using their new CNC mill but it wasn't working because the computer didn't have a new enough version of .Net, then I had one PC that was trying to get an IP address that conflicted with the library card catalog server, then I got approval to order a new DVR for the security cameras and I did that, and now I am taking a short break to do ozzu. Hopefully it stays like this today.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking up dutch oven recipes has been occupying my time fairly well, and creating a list of stuff to do tomorrow since there's no school. All week I've been bored stiff, but tomorrow I'm super busy with cables to pull and updates to run and a smart board to install.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought up something for you kc0tma - you could dig up some good headlines for Ozzu so that I'm not the only one doing it any more. joebert and ATNO have been very gracious with their contributions, but I could certainly use a hand if you're interested. I'm sure they're tired of covering for me. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Looking up dutch oven recipes has been occupying my time fairly well

Oh wow those things are actual ovens ?

Have you ever seen Step Brothers with Will Farrel and Adam McKay ?

I was sitting here thinking "Dutch Oven Recipes" was code for "ways to lure someone into a closed room to rip a fart for them".
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, dutch ovens are actual ovens! Not really ovens, just multipurpose cast iron (or aluminum) pots with lids that you can cook just about anything in (stew/chili, roasts, BBQ chicken, thanksgiving turkey and stuffing, any casseroles, cake/pie, bread/biscuits/muffins, cookies, cobbler, ice cream, chicken and rice, steamed/poached fish, pizza, etc etc) The bad thing is that cooking with them is usually a little bit time consuming.

The dutch ovens are the three black pots with the gray coals on top. I'm not sure what he's cooking, thats an awful lot of coals he's using.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like an Adobe Oven. I remember growing up on Thanksgiving my grandfather would put a turkey/ham/etc in his Adobe and it would stay in there all day. It was good though. It's a shame those things aren't really portable.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never had a chance to experience one. How does it compare to a smoker like the egg? Best turkey I ever had came out of one of those after several hours of cooking.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those egg things are awesome. Kinda small though.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dutch ovens are pretty cool because they are totally portable and you can use them for damn near any sort of food. I've used mine in the oven in my kitchen and on the stove top, on a propane burner, but mostly with charcoal. You can take them camping and use it over an open fire too.

The adobe oven looks really cool. That would be something I might consider building into my ultimate backyard kitchen that I want to build once we buy a house instead of rent. My idea was inspired by this thing. The big round pit is a fire pit, and smoke goes up a channel to the tall chimney for smoking food. Then the little black door is a baking oven. My plan is to mimic this, then add on a three sided square-ish fire pit (for wind protection) to cook with dutch ovens, and some sort of an indentation for storing hot coals until they are ready to be used.

Weren't you asking a while back on how to build a smoker, joebert? This page has some good examples and links to other pages for home builders.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts