Bought a new server...

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally broke down and bought a new server. I was looking in the bargin bin and thought that every time my server goes down I lose money so I should just pony up and get a new one that can handle the traffic.

Dual Xeon Quad Core E5462, 2.8Mgz 8gigs ram, 1 TB hd...

Now come the hard part of getting my big sites over to the new machine.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your old server hosted by the same company? If so you it should be pretty easy to transfer.

What was the specs of your old machine?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, old server is 3000 miles away, and is leased - which means I don't get to keep it, nor do Ieven get the HD in my hand, I must download the server and start fresh.

My monthly payment will actually go down as I will pay only for bandwidth and colocation. Old server was 1mgz, AMD, 500k ram...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah so you actually bout a server, machine and all. Well, once you get your server setup and configured you can use scp (Allows you to copy contents from one server to another via SSH) to copy your entire web folder (home?) from your old machine to the new one. That way your not limited to your home connection. It will do the transfer server to server.

Code: [ Select ]
scp -r /home username@000.000.000.000:/home

That will transfer your entire home directory from one server to the other. You might want to tar.gz the folder first to lower the transfer size.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't really be done, I have about 100 gigs of data...

I will transfer about 10 domains manually, then have to figure out how to FTP the rest of the stuff...I would like to do it from home server to server would be better...not sure yet.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats stopping you from doing a server to server transfer?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I will set up the server in my house when I get it, then transfer it to the location once it's set up. Most of my new content is on my home machine.

I think part of it is I want to set up the new server without cpanel, and I am not sure I will be able to do that...
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope your new server is at least raid1?

Also do you have ssh access to your old server or is it ftp only with cpanel?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pretty much have everything on my old server - ssh an all since it's dedicated. The old server only has a 500Gig hd so I don't really care, and most of the new content is on my home machine already.

My biggest concern, is how to set it up etc as this will be my first colocation server, rather than leasing.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
I hope your new server is at least raid1?

Also do you have ssh access to your old server or is it ftp only with cpanel?

I don't know if the motherboard has built in RAID, but it does have two identical 500gig HD's. I will see once I get it if the motherboard has it.

I am not sure if I should set them up as a RAID1 and add an additional HD. I've never had a HD failure, so I am a little green on this. I think I want to set them up in a RAID1 config, and add an additional HD...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

See now if I were you I would have gotten the biggest hard drives they had to offer, and then as many of them as they let you put in the server. Two 500GB drives for a terabyte is a RAID1 (striping), so you'll have decent read/write speed because it can run both drives simultaneously, buuuuuut you've got no fault tolerance so if one drives kicks the bucket you are SOL. Lets say the server can hold up to 5 drives, at 500GB each, in a RAID5, you'd have a total of 2TB of usable space with fault tolerance that would let you loose one drive and not experience and serious downtime. Thats just what I would have done, that kind of thing is worth the extra money.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will probably buy a 2TB drive to add to the system and cron mysql backups on to it, but am not worried about data integrity (at the moment). I need to focus on the server handling the current traffic and turning into cash.

If it fails in 3 months I just upload and start over with 2 days downtime. If it doesn't fail I can upgrade to a 5 HD raid system later in a year or two.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

RAID-1 is Mirroring kc0tma. RAID-0 is striping.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can a raid system, take 4 500GB drives, and mirror them on a single 2TB drive?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the looks of it I dont think you'll have any problem with traffic if you configure it correctly. Thats a beast of a machine.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
RAID-1 is Mirroring kc0tma. RAID-0 is striping.

Woops :oops: . I always get those ass backwards.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

So do you think that purchasing your own leased line and machine will save you money in the long run?

What kind of leased line will you be purchasing?

if you are hoping to host your sites, with the amount of visitors you said you had been hitting, you might need a costly amount. Wouldn't a better dedicated host have been a better solution?
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
Can a raid system, take 4 500GB drives, and mirror them on a single 2TB drive?

yes.

I would raid 10 it though. It is what I use for our sql/etc. Our webserver has less disk access problems, and more of a latency issue with open connections... that is IIS, my vm fedora box is faassst.

http://www.raidarray.com/04_01_10.html

IMO, the server itself you want reliability, ability to swap out drive without any downtime. Next you will want to use a SAN to store the data if it becomes larger than say 2TB (4 1TB drives will give you 2 TB in raid 10).
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
So do you think that purchasing your own leased line and machine will save you money in the long run?

What kind of leased line will you be purchasing?

if you are hoping to host your sites, with the amount of visitors you said you had been hitting, you might need a costly amount. Wouldn't a better dedicated host have been a better solution?

I purchased the machine, but will lease the line. At the moment, my machine is leased, and over the last 6 years have paid $9000 total for services. ($100-$150 a month for 70 months). So rather I will pay $75 a month and shell out more initially for the machine itself.

I will initially get a 100GB/month package and see how it goes from there.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figure it will take 2 years to recover the cost of the machine considering the costs of leasing Dual Xeon Quad core machines...I'm getting a whopping machine at less cost when purchasing outright.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope you keep us updated with this like you usually do, John. :)

I've become a fan of leased vehicles VS bought vehicles because of the following two reasons, I'm curious whether vehicles VS servers will translate.

1) You don't have to worry about selling it when you want something new
2) Someone else takes care of maintenance

What happens to your 2 year figure if you have a harddrive failure in that time ?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the big bucks are in the CPU and motherboard. New HD's are cheap. 1 Terabyte for $150.

I will probably add a backup 1 TB within the 3 year bathtub curve just to make sure...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of backups, I'd recommend some sort of a backup routine like a tape drive and a bunch of tapes or an external hard drive or something. Me and grinch and ATNO and anybody else here who has ever done sysadmin type of work all know know about the "Oh shi....." moment when a server crashes and you loose everything and have to restore from backup.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
Well the big bucks are in the CPU and motherboard. New HD's are cheap. 1 Terabyte for $150.

I will probably add a backup 1 TB within the 3 year bathtub curve just to make sure...

Yeah, but how much does the data center charge you to do the installation of another drive on site ?
Surely you can't just leave a dead drive in the box and hope the backup holds out.
How long will you be down if you have to either pay what the data center wants to service your machine, or even worse you have to get it shipped back to you to do the repair yourself ?

Don't get me wrong, when you started this thread my first thought was that this is pretty cool. You know me though, I can't just let something stay cool, I have to poke at it and see what could go wrong. :D
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Yeah, but how much does the data center charge you to do the installation of another drive on site ?
Surely you can't just leave a dead drive in the box and hope the backup holds out.
How long will you be down if you have to either pay what the data center wants to service your machine, or even worse you have to get it shipped back to you to do the repair yourself ?

Oh maybe I should have mentioned that - The datacenter, the gigantic San Diego tech center, is a stones throw across the canyon from my house. I could see it from my backyard if I knew which building to look at. They offer on-site visits during business hours so I can go there anytime if it screws up. Literally 12 minutes away from my house from the time I lock my front door, get in my car and arrive at their door.

joebert wrote:
Don't get me wrong, when you started this thread my first thought was that this is pretty cool. You know me though, I can't just let something stay cool, I have to poke at it and see what could go wrong. :D

No no, please keep it coming. Not knowing where the speed bumps are is worse than knowing how many speed bumps there are, just not knowing where.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much would it cost you to get a commercial line run to your house ? It seems like you're close enough to the grid.

You could add another story to your house and rent it out to strippers who want to start working for themselves online.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
How much would it cost you to get a commercial line run to your house ? It seems like you're close enough to the grid.

You could add another story to your house and rent it out to strippers who want to start working for themselves online.

Ahem, been there done that. ;-)

I call my spare bedroom, my $50,000 room. Since over the years, it has made about 50k.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah but you have to take it to the next level, literally, with another floor of your house. :D

How about that commercial Internet line running to your house though ? Are you on the edge of the commercial grid or something ? I would think if I lived 12 minutes from the place my server was going to live, I might as well just get a line to my house.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think I am near. I am across the canyon. I don't really want it in my house...
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

New server arrived today. I feel I am in no man's land at the moment. I haven't even plugged it in since I have so much to do this weekend but Sunday I may have time to start installing stuff.

I will probably start with CentOS rather than Ubuntu. Then LAMP, then xcache, and I will research a free control panel, mail, ftp. Oh boy...

Is there a package that does all the LAMP installation automatically? I know wampserver does something like it...but this is a pretty common install.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 39 posts