Brands of wireless routers

• shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What brand wireless routers would you guys suggest, in terms of range, speed and of course difficulty in setting up?
  • FroSt
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Holland, Friesland, Sneek

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a very good one..

Broadband Router of SweeX

It's a Dutch Site.. Hope your a Dutchie :P
  • pimpmasta
  • Student
  • Student
  • pimpmasta

Post 3+ Months Ago

linksys is an ok company.. my brother had some difficulty setting it up. The problem turned out to be with the product. We managed to scrape a wireless notebook card and a router for about 125 bucks (Canadian) at Best Buy..not a bad deal. Although it would have been a lot worse if the service was bad.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

linksys all the way. In terms of established credibility and quality of
product, they are the best. However, in terms of service, you may find
them to be subpar, but if you have any knowledge of networking it won't
matter.

I use linksys at home and at work. No problems at all.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easy of setup is just about any of them anymore most of them use a web interface for seting up the options. Linksys and Dlink are pretty much the norm, go to best buy or computer store and look for the one with the rebate attached and buy that one :D there is also a little known company called Netlux, they resell d-link and there own brand of AP and routers. Default settings for most of them is DHCP on the inside and Dynamic IP on the WAN port. So as long as your PC is set to obtain address all you have to do is go in and change the administrative password and enable WEP encryption if you want. You can also change the SSID so it isn't the default SSID. My suggestion is to get an AP with a four port hub built into it and hook a desktop directly to it so you can always reset any of your settings on the AP. Encase something isn't right with the wireless setup. Enjoy :D
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really have a preference since I use wired, but I strongly suggest you do not use linksys... I used them once and My connection went bad like every half an hour. I repeatedly called tech support and not only do they have terrible hours, but the people are no help at all. I switched to D-link and my connection is fine... I know they make wireless routers so I would strongly recommend them.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a Siemens, and after 6 months it's never given me a problem and only cost me $49 not counting rebate at a local retailer. I have three computers connected and it never once went down on me.
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried microsofts wireless router today...what a friggin head ache...I think i'm going to return it. It kept telling me to disable the firewall, even though I don't have one. Any ideas
  • FroSt
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Holland, Friesland, Sneek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bluetooth ? handy :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts