Can't access my own website!

• Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

For a week or more, I have not been able to access my business website via any of the main browsers from my home computers ("The connection was reset" and equivalent messages from all browsers). I have no problem accessing any other websites, this only applies to my own site.

I have tried pinging and traceroute (multiple times), with no problems, re-setting hosts file, clearing all caches, changing DNS server config, switching off the router firewall, checking AV settings (Avast) with no result and I have reached the end of my tether. I changed ISP a few weeks ago and suspect the problem could have something to do with that, but they've gone through their standard 'troubleshooting routine' with me (all the stuff I'd already tried myself) and claim it has nothing to do with them. My web host went through the same steps with me as well as getting me to run WinMTR, and they are fairly certain it's ISP related. That's of little help to me as my ISP is unwilling (unable?!) to help any further.

I would be so grateful if anyone here could suggest something I could try that might lead to a solution, even if it's just a suggestion for something my ISP should look into. If any other info or test results are relevant, I'd be happy to post them.

Without trying to bypass any Ozzu rules (I've go nothing to sell at the moment anyway), if you want to see whether the site works from your connection, my business is Idunn Jewels and it comes up in a Google search. I hope it's OK to provide that info.

All the best, Zuzu
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website works fine for me. Have you tried accessing your websites from a different computer or device from your same location? If it works on any other devices at your same location, then the problem is likely something with your computer itself. If all of the devices have the same problem, then it is more likely with your network. Would help a great deal if you could narrow it down by checking.
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for checking Bigwebmaster, yes, it starts loading on my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace 5830i) when I use my mobile network, though the site's not set up for phone viewing and I presume that's why my browser shuts off halfway through loading. However, it does not work from our laptop or desktop, nor on the phone when I use Wi-Fi through our router. I hope that helps.
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, rooting through the web, I just came across a site called ASafaWeb, that does an automated analysis of requests to a website. Scanning my site threw up a few warnings, perhaps these are the culprits?

Server: Apache | X-Powered-By: Unknown | X-AspNet-Version: Unknown | X-AspNetMvc-Version: Unknown | Web forms app: No | ASP(dot)NET site: No |
ASP(dot)NET version: Unknown | 6 requests were made by ASafaWeb:
URL Page title Response size Duration
1. "my website"/(not allowed to post link yet) Home 12,343 bytes 355 ms
2. "my website"/trace.axd 404 Not Found 326 bytes 84 ms
3. "my website"/< 404 Not Found 321 bytes 81 ms
4. "my website"/foo/trace.axd 404 Not Found 330 bytes 82 ms
5. "my website"/ (POST 1,001 params) Home 12,343 bytes 388 ms
6. "my website"/elmah.axd 404 Not Found 326 bytes 83 ms
25,989 bytes 1,073 ms

Tracing: Pass
Custom errors: Pass
Stack trace: Pass
Request validation: Not tested
HTTP to HTTPS: Pass
Hash dos patch: Not tested
ELMAH log: Pass
Excessive headers: Warning
HTTP only cookies: Warning
Secure cookies: Pass
Clickjacking: Warning

This is largely gobbledegook to me. I set up my site in Joomla and am using Autson slideshow, MailChimp forms and sigplus image gallery. If that's of any relevance...
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try hitting the server by it's external IP address. http://91.197.231.202

If that works, take a look at your NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost directives in your httpd.conf they should look like so:
Code: [ Select ]
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
  1. NameVirtualHost *:80
  2. <VirtualHost *:80>

If it doesn't work, you have some issue with network routing. I'd start at the router.
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you this213,

I've tried accessing the site by the IP address. Curiously, it comes up with a site entirely unrelated to me, called: Action For Us. I've queried my web host about this, but not yet received a reply. Could this be part of my problem?

What do you make of the warnings from ASafaWeb, could anything be wrong with or infected on my pages? I can't see anything from the backend that looks wrong, but then I'm a rank amateur, so I wouldn't necessarily know what to look out for.

Many thanks for any advise!
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Somehow I thought you were hosting this yourself. Since that's not the case, you definitely need to take a look at your own network. Did you modify any host files or manually set up routing anywhere? That you can access this site and not your own must mean there's a specific rule blocking you from your site.

If you're using Windows, go to start > run > cmd, then do
ping idunnjewels.com

see if that gives 91.197.231.202 as the address

If it does, you might be blocking by firewall rule. If it doesn't, try setting your dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and try again (those are google public dns servers)

I make nothing of the reports from asafaweb, as it could not reach your site - that's what all the "404"s mean.
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't meddled in anything host or routing related, but did change ISP a couple of weeks ago and get a new router (supplied by them). The only changes I made to the new router was changing the wireless channel and trying out google's dns servers (with no change to my predicament).

Thanks for clearing up the 404s. I thought the site had been reached by test 1 and 5, but as I said, I don't understand the intricacies of the results.

This is my pinging result

Pinging idunnjewels[dot]com [91.197.231.202] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 91.197.231.202: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55
Reply from 91.197.231.202: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 91.197.231.202:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd have to agree with your host then - it's ISP-related
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you this213, I'll have to get back to them and press a little harder for a resolution.

I appreciate the time and effort you took to advise me and wish you a good night.

Zuzu
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here, try this, it measures packet loss
http://www.pingtest.net/
  • grahamjohn028
  • Born
  • Born
  • grahamjohn028

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guru. I tried pingtest. It works....
  • Zuzu
  • Zuzu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found the culprit by trying to toggle separate modules on my site on and off. My front page used the module Autson Slideshow and was silently blocked by something on my local system (perhaps something to do with the router/ISP?). I Googled and found info about it containing some bad code, so I've removed the module from my site (front page looking very sad now) and can access it again. Now I have to find a good looking module that doesn't cause any problems and get that set up.

Thank you to you all for your suggestions they've been much appreciated. When I finally get around to trying to set up a 'proper' site, I'll be back to tap some of the exhaustive knowledge here.

Many thanks,
Zuzu
  • mihadbd
  • Born
  • Born
  • mihadbd

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you cant access your website it can be your isp problem. It can also be your Server problem or your hosting problem. So check this all to solve your problem and keep up to date your internet browser. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts