• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my! What a moment of nostalgia. I used to watch that show. I also learned to type in a classroom just like that...with typewriters.

God I feel old. :(
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

man to type fast on a typewriter seems a complete impossibility!! I remember when I was a kid messing with my dad's typewriter, it used to hurt my fingers something awful cuz the keys were so stiff.
  • Blackwood
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Blackwood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can go like the clappers. Unfortunately, i then have to go over what i have typed and correct the extra ltter here and there. I am good for approx 70 wpm without error.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone have words they purposely misspell a certain way because they have trouble remembering how it's spelled and they know their spell checker will catch a certain misspelling ?

I purposely spell "silhouettes" as "siloetes" because I always forget how it's spelled and my spell checker misses it when I try to spell it right and end up mangling it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to spell at about 60 words per minute at average with no mistakes... right now I can probably average out 60 wpm but with a few mistakes... I'm out of practice lol. Right now, I could probably get 45 or a little more a minute with no mistakes. I don't purposefully misspell any words, but when I accidentally misspell a word and the spell checker can't figure out what I mean, than I re-spell it and hope that the spell-checker gets to the word that I'm actually looking for.

I think I would see how many words I can spell a minute without misspelling anything.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's awesome when his sings. "Hard work"..."Hard work"

In 1980's, typing was a skill? How about what you type being more valuable than how fast you can type it?

Type me the formula for the gravity to magnetism relationship. Take all day to do it. ;-)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
In 1980's, typing was a skill? How about what you type being more valuable than how fast you can type it?

Type me the formula for the gravity to magnetism relationship. Take all day to do it. ;-)

Yup, typing was a skill. It wasn't a skill acquired by everyone, either. Your WPM rate was calculated on how fast you typed without errors. You didn't want to make errors because the whiteout was a pain-i.t.a. to use.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it would have been interesting to hook that guys typewriter keys up to piano notes.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kind of interesting that he was a "pro football and baseball player" as well. I wonder if we will see Darryl Strawberry at the front of a classroom soon. :|

I took that course in high school and I bet I could do 80 wpm now. But I have "golfer's elbow" in my right arm currently, which is the same as "tennis elbow" but on the opposite side of the forearm. I am sure weight-lifting (grip) and holding a guitar pick were factors, but also a big thing is all the characters [{}]"';.,<>/ (pretty much core to the "programming alphabet") are on the right hand, as is all my home, pgup, etc. I bet close to 10% of my key presses are either ctrl combinations the "home" keys or shift combinations with those special characters. That's a lot of holding something down with the ring finger and extending the index, which is exactly where I feel that twitch in the elbow.

So I've got my middle two fingers taped together now, which helps. A long time ago I switched to using the mouse with my left to offset this.

Must...stop...coding...

camperjohn wrote:

God what a curmudgeon ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts