3D CAPTCHA Anyone ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost never get a traditional alphanumeric CAPTCHA on the first try these days. There's times I don't even bother trying the first one I'm presented with.

That's why I was intrigued when I came across this article on 3D CAPTCHA technology being developed.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10204300-1.html

Attachments:
ca_copy_610x433.jpg

Quote:
... Similar to Hayward's idea, this new technology relies on our ability to identify objects in 3D instead of using alphanumeric characters. YUNiti's 3D Captcha, however, has three objects in the challenge and extends the list of images to any object, not limiting it to animals as in Hayward's idea. This increases the challenge's level of complication to prevent computers from successfully making the correct guesses ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds awesome... I don't think that I would ever use it but still... it's an option.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I always thought was require a user to click a flash object.
"Click the blue square" and an image shows up of different colors and shapes, 9 total like the brady bunch.

Both the item to click and the arrangement of the bunch would be randomized.

It seems relatively simple no? I was going to work on it for phpbb, as I originally designed the first anti-bot question for registration.

But I do not have too much flash knowledge, essentially it would require php/mysql with a list of options for it to draw on, so the flash would need to import the result of the php random query on which color/shape and then by naming the object inside the flash it should correlate with the result, and then if the user does not click correctly, the whole thing refreshes again with a new object.

Also for the blind, there would be a jawws readable link to play a random sound file. That file would say press X F 4 A 3 or something that would spoil a bot.
The flash would know that is the expected result based on the file it pulls and proceed on. Otherwise it would refresh with a new sound file.

Then for my own personal one, like passfaces, I would have a bunch of people and say click the ugly one. lol, but no I wouldn't put that one on any customer site.

Comments?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is also kitten auth. Click on 3 kittens.

http://www.thepcspy.com/kittenauth
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that's defintely a cool idea but I'm not sure I would use it either. My concern would be for loading just for CAPTCHAs but if it prevents bots and spam better than others I might reconsider.

Still a cool idea though. CAPTCHAs have come quite a ways haven't they. I still like the mathematical problem ones.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Google's got a thing going where they have people fix the orientation of an image.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10222514-2.html

Seems like it wouldn't be very hard to find and apply existing software that detects which way is up by looking at the lighting and shadows of an image.
  • AaliyahRoma
  • Born
  • Born
  • AaliyahRoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate long and complicated captchas.
  • Vatson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

guys, some body who can give me url to the building 3D capcha. I want to put a good defense for one your project. I would be grateful.
and i must say - Good info joebert.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts