• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol its cool - it's a *plum* username anyway lol I only use it because it's never takes and I can have the same username for everything lol
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, thats a good reason.
Oh, and by far the best kind of jelly is strawberry. Raspberry comes in a close second..........

How do we go from ID cards to jelly......... rtm223?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to do a google search on jelly fatalities, and nothing came up...at least nothing on the edible kind
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, thank god no one has spilled hot jelly on themselves form McDonalds and sued.
:lol:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

they already have your fingerprints and foot prints when ur born, they have all your credit history and everything else that is on computer they have access to already. i can understand why they want to do this, and i think its actually for the benefit of everyone, it will make catching criminals much easier if all they have to do is input dna into a computer and it tells them who it is. maybe as just a thought the ones most against it are the ones who have something to hide... as for me i dont so okay you can have my fingerprints and i will carry your card in my wallet :lol: catch me if u can :P
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

something that relates to this is that you can get a computer chip put in your pet. so if it gets lost all they have to do is scan the dog and all the info comes up. there was a thing saying that they could do it to humans to, but i doubt they ever would. if they did it would be like on your wrist.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remmember a story about a year ago when a family had there kids implante with that type of chip, so that they wouldnt get lost. Kinda a neat idea, but I would want it outa me when I was old enough to think for myslef.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmmm I have nothing to hide yet, Until they make certain things a crime. I mean you know how people are. If crime has been reduced so far that the major offence will be spitting on the sidewalk; then I am sure there will be a stiff penalty. Human beings are so anal about stuff. There just has to be something wrong with our society so we can all point our finger at it, and blame our problems on it. And If there isn't much to point a finger at, I am sure we will make a new crime.

I don't want new crimes. I like my freedom, If I want to go steal a car, I can do it at my own risk. I revel in the fact that I could get away with it. Of course I would never do such a thing, but it is good to know that I have the freedom to do anything that I want to.

If your governments are so perfect, then fine...you trust them to monitor every thing about you. Where you shop, where you sleep, etc., When your freedom starts disappearing through some political environment change and you are singled out, and found quickly, no matter where you are; then you can blame yourselves for agreeing to tracking of that nature.

I for one don't agree with it. I don't want to be tagged like an animal and herded up if need be. I don't trust any political infrastructure because there are too many variables there. Currently we americans are losing more rights than when we had in WWII. I am sure that if another mass paranoia goes around with another bombing, It would be real easy to track down every american of middle-eastern decent and round them up into containment until things are figured out.

It happened before with japanese americans during WWII, and also shortly after 911. Id implants, cards or whatever, would make this kind of tragedy more intense, and more heinous than before.

History always repeats it self, and looking back at history and seeing what would have happened if there where devices that are being debated in this thread used then.........well it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

sorry about the rant, but I just had to vent it...lol
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Preach it Vladdrac. More power to yah.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

not preaching, just stating an opinion
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

And I meant that I agreed. My bad for not explaining.
;)
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only kind of jelly i like is the kind i wrestle in with girls on performance nights at the club ;)

ha ha back to the jelly again, sowwyy!!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I have against dna. Lets say I'm walking down the street, I walk past a car with an open door. There are a number of ways that my skin and hair particles could easily end up in that car without me going anywhere near it.

Now lets say that a week down the track the car is stolen and fa couple of days later is found completed wrecked somewhere.

My DNA is in it, and I could easily be accused of having taken the car.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
they already have your fingerprints and foot prints when ur born, they have all your credit history and everything else that is on computer they have access to already.

Hey music, they dont do that over here in the uk, and i wouldnt think they would so that in the usa either.

You only get your finger print taken if you have performed a crimial offence.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

When your born they take a sample of your DNA and store it, but I'm not opposed to that. The record is not stored on a computer somewhere - it is stored on paper, locked up tight.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the poilce have access to this? I thought that out medical records are confidential?

What do i know anyway, i thought because ive watched the bill (uk series about the poilce) lol
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

they can't just go in and go through them all but if they need someone's DNA to proove a particular case they can get a warrant.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a Cybernetics professor at Reading University who has a chip inserted in him - It opens all the doors in his faculty for him because he's too lazy. He was one of the judges on robot wars lol

Of course no ones died from jelly - it's safe. I would have said strawberry, but have become quite partial to raspberry recently. It's pretty darn close though.

DNA is not sufficient proof to convict someone. Random particles in a car do not prove that you stole it. And the chanceof a sufficient number of particles getting into a car is pretty remote. What it does do is give the police some leads, pointing them in the direction of a suspect.

IE rape victim scratches their attacker an gets some of the assailants skin under their nails. This is then sampled by the police who match it up to someone because they have their dna records. They then arrest that person on suspicion. Thats as far as the dna goes.

Once they have their suspect, they need to check if they have scratchmarks that match, do they have an alibi, where they in a position to have commited the crime.

You cannot be convicted on dna alone.

Vlad - I'm sure you appreciate your freedom, and so do I, but having my car stolen and left over £1000 out of pocket by it, you'll forgive me if I'm not to sympathetic with people who want the freedom to commit crimes.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah they do have your fingerprints from the time your born your fingerprints dont change pattern they just grow.

you have to remember that the people who make the rules can also break the rules and these are the ones who can get access to anything. there is no such thing as personal privacy when the rule makers/breakers want to find something.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm sure you appreciate your freedom, and so do I, but having my car stolen and left over £1000 out of pocket by it, you'll forgive me if I'm not to sympathetic with people who want the freedom to commit crimes.

I'm sorry to hear that your car was stolen, but I don't see how a national id card system would have prevented that from happening. Most people who argue against a national id system are not arguing in favor of a freedom to commit crimes, but rather that the benefits to the state are outweighed by the infringment of the privacy of the individual. Collecting fingerprints, dna, etc from suspects in criminal cases after obtaining the necessary court order, or from persons who have been convicted of committing crimes is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

However, to collect such information from the entire population is to treat everyone as a potential criminal. If people make the argument that this is acceptable because they don't intend to commit crimes then they are headed down a dangerous path which leads to, "Only criminals need rights." If we follow this course we must have a great deal of confidence in the benevolency of the state. As a student of history, I do not have such confidence.

When the US Constitution was being debated, some of the "founding fathers" were concerned that it might subject the citizen to tyranny by the government - something many of them had experienced firsthand. They demanded that the Bill of Rights, which became the first ten amendments, be added. I think they were very wise to take this action. I do not think that human nature has changed all the much since then, and I think that those in power will tend to abuse such power unless there are legal restraints on it. In a free society the rights of the individual are a necessity, and we should guard our rights jealously because those in power (some of them anyway) will always be tempted to seize them in a time of crisis.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I solemnly agree with that
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
you wouldn't be an invalid would you nego?

No, no, no... I think Im just genetically modified enuff to be valid. Perhaps I'll sell my identidy on Ebay. Its 300 dollars and comes complete with 2 years of uraine, hair, heartbeat recordings, and other DNA samples.

Lol, having ID cards would be ok I suppose, but I cant even hold onto my school ID lol. Im constantly getting hassled by the man for not having my ID :D . Lol, they should try using those barcode tattoes.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what, I bet you somebody would probably pay a lot of money on ebay if you where selling your identity. Include your birth certificate, drivers liscence, ID card, all information about you, etc.,

I wonder how much an identity would go for
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

RichB wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you appreciate your freedom, and so do I, but having my car stolen and left over £1000 out of pocket by it, you'll forgive me if I'm not to sympathetic with people who want the freedom to commit crimes.

I'm sorry to hear that your car was stolen, but I don't see how a national id card system would have prevented that from happening.

No I was just countering vlads comment about having the freedom to steal a car. I don't quite see how someone can complain about their personal rights and at the same time want the freedom to be able to violate other people's rights (such as the right of ownership). A "do unto others" kinda thing.

RichB wrote:
those in power will tend to abuse such power

very true: "power corrupts".

However, I don't think anyone yet has explained how a sample of dna, or particularly fingerprint and retinal scans, can actually be of any detriment to me if in the hands of the government. I can understand the point about the insurance companies, but what exactly are the government going to do with my fingerprints?
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

a government could potentially plant your DNA at the scene of a crime, e.g. the assisnation of the opposition leader.

If I had a bit more time there are at least ten more ideas, many of which are much more realistic and more likely, than that one.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

or plant the dna of an opposition leader at the scene of a crime.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

just out of curiousity, how do you "plant" dna? The data would be stored digitally -they wouldn't have a whole lab full of hair samples and shedded skin. You cant just plant dna. You would have to take the dna data and recreate it in a lab, grow a hair sample or a skin sample and then plant that at the scene of a crime. I don't even know how feasable that is... (bear in mind that a clone's dna is less similar to the original sample than twins are from one another.

Surely it's much easier to pay someone to run past the person and grab a handful of hair on the way past :lol: ??? I would have thought so. You could also get someone to seduce the person, then take some dna samples - whilst also taking some photos for blackmail purposes. I think using DNA in that way is a little to advanced to make it practical. Maybe it will be in the future, but maybe not. There are a thousand maybe's that could affect your life, can you worry about all of them?
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a very good point rtm. This is a very controversial topic. I myself would not have a problem with having my dna on record. I think that the ID cards could be a bit of a problem with people selling them.

Maybe a chip placed under the skin would be a better option but i cant see that happening. IMS dont like needles!! lol
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 62 posts