my career or my mistake?

• Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have decided to kick start my life into my career.. I am seriously considering something in computers.. The reason I am posting this is because most of you have chosen this path and it is your carriers.. I need advice and want to know if I should pursue this.. I am interested in web designing, software developement, and maybe even programming.. I was going to take a certificate program on computers.. Its a bunch of stuff and mostly basics like..

-Word Processing
-Spreadsheets
-Database
-Computer Concepts
-Desktop Publishing
-Computerized Accounting
-Keyboarding
-PowerPoint

I have to take all the above for the certificate.. I can take other stuff like web designing but anways, I just want to know what you guys think about this because I REALLY value everyone's opinion here.. I want ANY advice you can give me down to what classes you think I should take n such..

Also, I am worry about the fact of the demand for all of this when it comes to employement..

THANKS!
-Heart (grum)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say computer concepts and database. Those are harder than the others. You can learn the rest on your own if you have the initiative and the programs.

You might get "jobs" easier with the others, but understanding programming will get you higher pay.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah see i have to take all of thoughs but I have NO idea what they are..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say if you think getting that certificate would help you in what you eventually want to do, go for it. If you can though, I would definetely take classes in what you are intersted in most, and maybe even talk to a counselor (at your college, if thats where you are taking the courses I am assuming).

When I went into college I kind of made a small mistake. The money issue blinded me and I think one of the major reasons (whether I believed it or not) that I went for my major (Flight technology, aviation) was because of the high paying jobs you can get by being a professional airline pilot.

However, towards the end of my degree, after I already spent like 60k, I finally realized that the aviation career was not for me. The good news is I was able to get a 4 year degree (and a great hobby). However, if I was to do it all over again I would have majored in CS (Computer Science), as it would have probably proven to be much more useful for me. Plus I would have saved about 30k. I only minored in CS instead.

Anyway my point is, go for what interests you, and not totally for the money. Don't get me wrong, money probably should play some sort of factor, since you can't live how you want if you do not have the income you desire. Don't let the money issue blind you though. Really give it some thought, and make sure you aren't trying to convince yourself that you want to do it (even though you might not really want to, which is what I did).

So overally I would say if you are interested in web designing and software development the most, try to focus on that and take classes that deal directly with that if you can. That is where talking to a counselor could prove to be really useful for you, as they can possibly help you define the path you want to take (as far as classes and certificates are concerned).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Much better said than I did..BWM... your post is much better advice and I recommend it whole-heartedly. I just typed mine too quick...(Although those extra few bucs can be good incentive! *smiles)
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well truthfully the thing is I am ALWAYS online so i figure i might as well make a career out of it.. I do like designing avatars n stuff and so far I havent gotten board of it.. One good thing about this is with computers you can expand into almost ANYTHING!! I can work at my home with my own buisness or work for microsoft like Gadget Guru... I seriously had this drawing feeling to this Forum and I think there is a reason why.. I think it was fate because since I joined I have just been thinking about it more and more and just beginning to make more sence to me.. I know what you mean about choosing the wrong carrier.. My mother kinda pushed me into the medical field and I have taken a few classes and It just something I wanna do.. So, I may be taking a risk but not really.. I want options.. OPTIONS are a persons best friend... I am not worried about spending the money due to my parents will pay for it but I mean its not like ACTUAL college no 2 years or 4 year college.. Its just classes on Computers at my local college Weatherford, Texas... It will only cost about ehhh i say $1,000 at the most..
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tuesday I am going up to my College and going to talk to a counselor about what to take.. I am taking all these little things as signs so I am going to follow it and give it a try.. Thanks alot guys...
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright if anyone cares....*sniff sniff*

I went to my college today and checked out what they had to offer me..

I decided that that crap I listed above is just too beginner for me.. So, I was basicly standing there infront of the Continueing Education lady making myself look stupid cuz I had no idea what to do and she was basicly not giving me any advice and I stumbled upon ONLINE CLASSES for Computer Science.. So, I was like "Hey! whats this?" Anyways, it is just classes you take online through email.. Being the lazyass that I am it seems to be something I would do.. Anyways, I talked to another girl she told me to see about all that.. ANYWAYS, turnes out that most of the classes I wanted to take they dont have them at that college "YET!".. They may later on.. They will email me if ANY of them become available.. I only chose 3 and they are Photoshop 6, Java (not javascript), and HTML... Also, have an ACTUAL class for Web Page Designs but the class is in a different area but trying to move it to my college.. Anyways, I am going to look around at some other colleges or even try Ed2go.com.. I don't know..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll find a good solution, Heart.

Now the criticism. I know I make my share of spelling errors (but I'll go back and edit my post a few times if needed to correct them), but if you are going to go into a computer field then the first class you need to take is spelling (or typing). I'll grant you that you may just type fast and not pay much attention (a lot of people do), but if you are going to go into programming of any sorts then spelling and typing are essential. Miss a semi-colon by placing a colon instead is going to cause you a lot of debugging grief. I have seen you mispell "career" multiple times and your last post is full of either spelling errors or typos.

I know school isn't like what it used to be...but it's critical in this business. I'm sure it's been driving Unflux nuts! (It drives me nuts!)

Don't take this so much as criticism as advice.

-----------------------
Addendum:
I do have a dictionary that I "almost" always use sitting to my right and typing your post in a text editor that has spell-check abilities is helpful.

-----------------------
P.S. to mods and BWM -- there is a hack at phpHacks that lets you (and everyone else) see when a post has been edited, how many times, and by whom...in case you are interested. It's a beginner install.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, most people wouldn't agree with that. Most of my friends refer me as the guy that catches most errors. Carrier just got stuck in my head for some reason. I have no idea why it was but it just looked correct to me. I always firgure no matter how good of a speller you are, you will eventually screw up. Seems everything is INEVITABLE.. I don't spell check when I am posting on a message board because, what is the point? I am however HORRIBLE with commas usually. I do however, appreciate your honosty and your suggestions. I do type at around 100 wpm I believe is what it is called and I am usually watching TV while I type. I mean you really cant judge my spelling on a message board. I do understand what you're trying to say with the "having to be perfect" when it comes to this stuff.. I have tried to make a web site with all my HTML knowledge and I ran into all kinds of probs being that I kept screwing up here and there.. Seems like I went over it about 50x and still found crap that wasn't correct. Anyways, I just eventually gave up on it because I only did it to improve my HTML and was just bored.

~Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Penn State here in PA offers an online "webmaster" class for around $3500. All done from home on your computer. I lost the link a few months ago...but if you do a few searches on Google or make a call to Penn State you may be able to find it. Takes about a year to complete and if I recall correctly it's divied up into about 12 modules/classes.

It's up to you...but I can tell you 100% that everything you'll ever want to know about design is online (for free). It took me about 3 years (me being the lazy sort) to get to where I am...but I learned all my web design stuff online for no more than I pay for my monthly internet service. Up to you how long you want to take to do it...but some learn faster than others.

You could start here:
http://www.w3schools.com/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
P.S. to mods and BWM -- there is a hack at phpHacks that lets you (and everyone else) see when a post has been edited, how many times, and by whom...in case you are interested. It's a beginner install.

I believe this board already does that to some degree. Let me go try now. Yup it does, go up to my last post and look at the bottom. It shows it was last edited by me, the number of times, and at what time. Are you seeing that too? or do just mods see that.

If you edit the last post it doesn't mark those tags, but if you edit a post for which people have already posted after, it should leave the remarks that the post has been edited, and how many times and when.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my parents (more so my dad) want me to go to the FULL college experience of either 2 years or 4 years. I am very much so considering that option. I don't know what to do.. The classes at http://www.ed2go.com are only about 6 weeks I believe and just a Continuing Education kinda thing. They only run about $150 so It would prob be worth a try even though it wouldnt be a very detailed class if ya know what I mean. I don't know, I am still looking at my options.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK...I'm not trying to rag ya, Heart...just trying to offer some advice...If you take you're time when you're working and not distracted...cool...

But here's a few examples:

From your prior post:
infront=in front
basicly=basically
Continueing=Continuing
whats=What's

and from your last post to me:
firgure=figure
honosty=honesty
cant=can't

etc... (I didn't include the rest).

You may have missed my point, Heart. I'm not/wasn't judging you. I just looked at what you are considering for "perhaps" a life-long career. If it's going to be computers...then spelling is an issue that MUST be taken into consideration (even BWM here doesn't even consider a person as a moderator if he/she can't spell well in their posts).

You may have also missed my statement in my last post that I know people type fast in message boards. But it's no excuse for someone who is considering getting into the computer business to be lazy about it.

The best spellers on the web should be the ones who post at boards like this...And it's not even the spelling, I'm refering to. It's the attention to detail.

I'll let Unflux give you his lecture on attention to detail. I've read his thoughts. Actually...you should be glad I posted this and not him! *lol

As I said (and saw you recognized) -- it was meant to help -- not hurt. Sorry if it bothered you.

---------------------------
(test edit) Please ignore --it's just a test
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of spelling (bit off topic), I thought I saw a spelling mod somewhere around for PHPBB. I ought to look into that to try to catch many of the spelling errors people make. I cannot remember if I really saw that mod around somewhere or if it is a figment of my imagination.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you find it, BWM, post the link somewhere, or PM me...I'd like to add that to my place as well.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will do ATNO/TW :)

I do agree with trying to take your time with things to make sure you do it right. Many employers do pay attention to detail and they see that if you care for the little things, then that might mean you actually really care about doing a good job. If you do not pay attention to the little things, then you might overlook something extremely important while on the job, even though it may have been a small error.

A good example is how when a company was designing the mirror for the Hubble Space Telescope. They were like a millionth of a microfraction off their mark. It was the smallest error that you would think would have had no importance. However that extremely small error cost millions and millions of dollars to fix as it made the Hubble Space Telescope's images blurry. Anyway my point is, even though you might think something isn't important, you might actually be wrong.

A better way to approach is to always do everything you can to the best of your ability everywhere. It would for one be a good habit to get into, and it wouldn't take as much work to continue that habit onto a real job. Now if however, you always rush things and do not pay attention to detail (maybe like spelling), then one day when a company finally hires you for a job it might be a real challenge for you to change your ways, and out of habit you might not pay attention to something important, thus getting you in trouble.

Also I am not sure if you realize, but many people get jobs by word of mouth. That means if you always do everything to the best of your ability, even when you think nobody is paying attention, you might be suprised on who will notice and hook you up with a job.

Now if you had a friend who worked for a really good company and their boss asked them if they had any friends worth hiring, do you think your friend would pick you if it was worth losing their job over? I cannot answer that question, but that might be something you want to think about as well. I know for sure that I wouldn't recommend any of my friends if I really did not think they would make a good employee. I wouldn't want my friend to make me look bad.

Anyway I know we have kind of gone off on a tangent, but it is important nonetheless. If an employer has 50 candidates for a single job, you better do everything you can to stand out and get that job. That means exceeding everyone else abilities as well as giving it all your effort. Employers can see when someone really strives to do their best.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heart

I have learned much on my own and speant about 8 of the last 12 months in a class for LAN networking support. All well and good...

However, on searching for jobs the last several months, almost everyone that's worth anything and pays the Big Bucks is looking for someone with a computer science degree.

If I were young and had the money to do it all again...that's what I would be looking at.

Maybe it might help you if you looked at different job search stuff like monster.com and actually see what employers are looking for. It can be pretty frightening, but you're where you can afford the time to think about it and make a good decision.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the only thing I found:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... eck+cheque
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah man I completely understand what your trying to say. I am NOT getting upset over you trying to correct me. The thing is that while you do give me incomplete sentences as well as starting your sentences with the word BUT and not even bother to capitalize it either. My point is that this little detail that your talking about is in fault in everyone. We all miss use words and forget ' here and a , there. Even you are like me when it comes to over using periods at the end of your sentences. I also notices that your not spacing before you start a new sentence. All I am trying to put out there is that obviously that spelling isn't the only factor here (It isn't the whole enchilada). I am not trying to rag you out either but you correct me when your not even correct yourself. I am certain that spelling is ONLY half the problem. :D
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also like to mention that this is not NASA nor my job application. My errors here in this forum will not cost millions and millions of dollars. I don't run a spell checker so everything that you people have noticed is my free writing and not some dumb computer program that some other person wrote. I rely on myself and my own judgement on my own details. I am sorry that I am not error free on my typing in a relaxed forum. I was not aware of the damage in my own "spelling" would have on this forum. Sorry, it just seems silly to me.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not saying everyone is perfect, or anyone is. I am just saying if you take more time when you write things people will notice, just how people notice you mispelled the same words consistently.

This isn't a NASA forum, I was just providing an example. NASA itself was irrelevent.

Anyway one reason spelling is important to me, is it allows people to lookup their problems through the forum and through google. If you consistently mispell important words, nobody will ever find your article/post unless they mispell it as well. So it may not be as silly as you think, there is at least one good practical reason behind it.

Anyway its not huge deal, you are a good member of the forum. I have no idea if you truly take more time when it comes to important things in your life, but all I know is that habits and attitudes are hard to change.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I just think it's funny that I miss spell something because I thought it was spelled that way and I get a lecture on my spelling skills. I do have quite a few typo's because I am not trying to be perfect and show off. I am sorry that usually my dont's are usually not don't. If it is an important word I will look it up. http://www.dictionary.com is probably my most used site. I mean seriously does it really matter about these little errors? Acting like people don't have enough sence to figure it out. ATNO/TW sets there and saying my typing is just FULL of errors and that I have to be perfect even in this forum to get into this career that I am choosing when he is making TONS of english errors in his sentences. I am sorry ya know. I know even if I tried I wouldn't be perfect. Who is? I mean I am sorry if I am comming off as an A$$hole right now but ya gotta understand. I am getting told about all my errors from people that are making errors. Sorry sorry sorry. I am not trying to be a jerk. I mean if I had to spell something like Antidisestablishmentarianism correctly than I would look it up (even though it is correct).
Now I can't say anything about Bigwebmaster's typing and spelling but I never really observed it that closely. It just sucks that because I miss spelled one word and now I am labeled as a bad speller. The little stuff like cant that should be can't are just lazy errors. It is just easier and faster to do it like that. Just like saying "u" instead of actually typing out "y-o-u". I know what you mean about that it is a bad thing to be doing, because it will become a habit and will probably make the same errors on something important. I understand that. So, from now on I will "try" to improve my typo's and work on my horrible spellings skills. Again, I am NOT trying to sound like an ass but you gotta look at my point of view.

Sorry if I upset either of you in ANY way. I am not a mean person nor am I trying to be.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well all I really have to say to that, is again you would be suprised where you will run into people who will hook you up with a job. Word of mouth is important. When I was taking aviation classes word of mouth could seriously get you a job or not get you a job. Employers will ask anybody they can find to see what kind of person you are, so that they can figure out if they want to hire you for a job.

Again little errors do matter, that is one reason I am thinking of getting a spelling checker for the forum. One misplaced letter on an important keyword could make a difference from somone finding your post (to help them), or not finding your post. This might not be important to you however.

People commonly use "accepted" shortcuts for words like u instead of you. Same with abbreviations like LOL, and ROFL. This doesn't necessarily mean they are mispelled words. They are accepted ways of communicating through chat and forums.

Anyway you aren't upsetting me in anyway and I do not think anyone else, I am just trying to prove a point (not sure if its working though).

If someone told me to fix a bunch of errors from which they just made a bunch of errors themselves, I could see it being harder to accept their criticism, but I would still take it into account. Anyway I think the whole reason behind the conversation is we are all just trying to help you succeed. Practicing spelling good EVERYWHERE you go is a good habit and will make a difference, whether you believe it or not.

The biggest thing I see behind someone who spells correctly, or mispells consisitently is effort. For me if I see someone spelling every other word wrong and cannot make a clear sentence, it makes me think any of the following (even though many might not be true with the person, it is just the impression that is left with me)

1. they are uneducated
  2. they are lazy
  3. they do not care
  4. they take help at the forum for granted
  5. they think about themselves and do not care to help others
  6. they cannot communicate
  7. they do not speak English as their first language
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem on my end either. Heart -- I did say it a couple times. It was meant as advice, not criticism, as it appears BWM's messages are also.

I'm cool though.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I know. Maybe I did bring this out of proportion. I tend to get a little dramatic on sertain things. I guess maybe I just don't take criticism very well. I tend to try and prove that I am not for whatever I was criticised on. Really, criticism is the key to success. It forces us to do better and prove the opposite, it is human nature.

I think that maybe what really bothers me is that, it seems like no one is taking me seriouse about me going to college or just continuing education. It's just like "Oh, this again? What are we going to say to this one?" kind of thing. I don't know, maybe I am just being stupid. Anyways, I am going to stop typing these extremely long post. Let's just drop the whole thing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We take you serious -- DEFINITELY GO TO COLLEGE!!! Or a tech school, or something! You'll kick yourself years from now if you don't.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, thanks! I am and I will. I am planning on taking all my necessary test to get into my small college (WC). I won't be going till about January so I have some time to be lazy. I am also seriously thinking about taking an online class for photoshop. I figure photoshop is REALLY important and VERY helpfull to know in this field. Also, I just love messing around on photoshop, so I figure it is more than worth learning it in full. Anwyays, I am pretty happy due to my BIG win in the lotto. :D

<===BIG WIN
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah shush!You definatly lucked out, I had an 80+ percent chance of winning :-P
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to work in career counselling, my suggestion is to do your homework on what is available in the field you want to work in, make up a spreadsheet and list the information, costs and pro's and con's for each course.

When you are up to date on all the information then you can make an informed decision on what study you should undertake to get the best value for education as well as money.

My other advice is to speak to people who have been working in a similar field to what you are wanting to you, and ask them what qualifications they have and whether they think it was of benefit to them in their work today - a lot of people will say that the course they did was good but they should have taken this or that extra.

Online study is okay I guess if you are dedicated and do the work, but it doesn’t come close to being taught in person where you can ask questions and have things explained to you whilst your actually at the computer - the other thing to keep in mind is a lot of those online course are NOT accredited with major education boards.

Just some things to think about.

Rose :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts