Career suggestions...

• Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I took my SAT's and received a 1540 total and have an avg. of 4.1 GPA. I have my college pretty much narrowed down, I'm going to Notre Dame if I get accepted and if I don't I'm going to University of Illinois. I'm the only person I know that has Never answered the old question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Mostly because there is so much out there to do. I'm thinking maybe something in the medical field or maybe law... I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The only really career path I've ever considered was pro baseball player for like 10 seconds after I got a tiny scholarship for baseball to the University of chicago.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*shrugs "What do you want to do when you grow up?"

I started out in music ed, because when I first entered college all I knew was music. About a semester in, I realized I didn't want to teach band the rest of my life so switched to Communications (my degree) -- I initially wanted to do TV production, but after sending out a 105 resumes to TV stations and networks and only getting back 2 responses (both negative) I gave up, moved and got a job in TV advertising research for three years. From there went to retail management for 17 years and now am doing web design and network administration.

There you go -- you just never know....! *lol

Best of luck and good choices to you.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should do whatever career you want to do -rather than what someone else suggests - choose carefully - you only live once in this lifetime and you will never get it back..
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheh trust me, your not the only person who's never answered the 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' :oops: :wink:

i never used to know myself and spent countless months worrying about it, :/
just go with how u feel and try not to place 'too' much reliance on what other people suggest, and remember even if you do choose the 'wrong' path it can still usually be changed later,

overall try not to overly worry about it,
thats not to say don't give it any thought but dont let it get to ya too much.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

with that stuff goto whereever you want to go, and do whatever you want to do...I mean...damn you almost aced the SAT's, schools should be groveling for you to come to theirs.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

most people i know change their careers at least twice and some even upto ten times before they settle on something they really enjoy :D
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL its like my dad, he's bounced from career to career like nobodys buiseness, mind, he is a restless person much like me , but i think in a way like many things, sometimes you have to sample a few bits of what life offers before you can truely choose what you want to devote your time to.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm never gonna grow up, so i'm not gonna decide! I'M NOT!

I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!
I'M NOT!

;)
  • Zelita
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

i must say splendid job on the SAT, with a score like that you might ot need to worry about your career too much, school will be fighting over you even if your and undeclared or reguarly switched major. i say wait till something feels right... i know far too many people that think they are dead sure of where they are going ro do, i know from even my few years that things tend not to go as planned. I think its best to go with the flow and try not to expect things, at least then you can never be disapointed that way ^.-*

~Zelita
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

4.1 GPA??? I thought that 4.0 was as high as it goes?????????/

I always wanted to be a Toys 'R' Us kid when i grew up.
  • Zelita
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

r u kidding? man, what year did you gradute! i have a 4.5 and im not any where near being in the honor court at my school!

~Zelita
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a trade you can fall back on then you can do anything you want to do. I started out as an aircraft mechanic in the air force. Now I work for a small wireless ISP. Two years from now I might be a graduate with dual bachelor's degrees. All I am saying is "there is no spoon". Then again I maybe out in the woods working for a lumber company. But I have a few skills I can always fall back on if I don't like what I'm doing now. Enjoy your life and watch doors open up :D

on the other hand go to college, party and get an edumication :twisted:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

some school systems allow for higher gpa's than the classic 4.0. If you
took a lot of AP courses, you would be eligible to show that you did,
instead of someone who took none, and still got a 4.0 like you, it would
look the same. It's just a visual way to show reward for an extra effort
in education.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice people,
I'm going to make a decision between law enforcement and the medical field. All of my teachers say I would make a great lawyer and they all put that as recommendations to my colleges, might play baseball for a while for ND, I'll never make the pros though. I got a 4.1 cuz I'm in AP Calculus, AP Latin IV, AP composition and AP European History and I have Cisco II and physics honors too. The only good thing about these AP classes was that I got to drop theology, I loath that class, coaches without college degrees think they can teach me anything, pfft.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm amazed they're teaching you cisco! :shock:

very cool. i wish i had that in high school 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts