Chinese guy misplaces iPhone 4G prototypen, guess whats next

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Following yesterday's news that a Chinese engineer committed suicide after misplacing a 4G iPhone prototype, a security officer involved in the death has been suspended from his job...

Source: The Register
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow... that iPhone must be very very secret... I guess it's because it's a prototype...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't you just picture this like a comic book: The guy is tearing apart his apartment looking for the lost prototype when suddenly BAMM! the front door is kicked wide open. In the hallway a shadowy figure stands, a cold sweat drips down the engineer's face. Slowly the shadowy figure enters the room and steps into the light...its Steve Jobs. The engineer shrieks and makes a dash for another room only to find he is trapped, only one way out. The man frantically fumbles with the latch on the window as Jobs enters the room. Finally the window opens and the man leaps to his death......
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the pressure was there but committing suicide is not the only answer.
That's the problem with us Asians, specially in East Asia.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
Ok, the pressure was there but committing suicide is not the only answer.
That's the problem with us Asians, specially in East Asia.

No, Jenie, committing suicide has unfortunately become quite dispersed just every where around the world, Asians, Europe and America. Los Angeles - I used to hear that it has very high commit suicide rate.

The difference is that the way the suiciders use. In Asia, especially Chinese, jumping off tall building is a common way of suiciding. I am not sure about others, that could be taking pills and using firearms, cutting wrists, sleeping with the gas on...etc.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, LA. But the rate in Japan alone is very high compared to some countries combined.

Quote:
Mental health professionals in Japan have long known that the reasons for the unnecessarily high suicide rate in Japan are unemployment, bankruptcies, and the increasing levels of stress on businessmen and other salaried workers who have suffered enormous hardship in Japan since the bursting of the stock market bubble here that peaked around 1997. Until then Japan had an annual suicide of rate figures between 22,000 and 24,000 each year. Following the bursting of the stock market and the long term economic downturn that has followed here since the suicide rate in 1998 increased by around 35% and since 1998 the number of people killing themselves each year in Japan has consistently remained well over 30,000 every year to the present day.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kind of a grim subject to be debating.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The difference is that the way the suiciders use.

There's another point of difference. Honor and/or shame driven suicide isn't as prevalent in US suicides as I believe it to be in Asian countries. I think the majority of suicides here are driven by other emotions like sorrow or despair. I'm not saying that those are exclusive causes - there's going to be some mingling in all countries, but I'm speaking of the majority here. I think there's a huge difference in cultural factors that are ultimately causing the person to take their own life.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Darwinism at it's finest.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts