os of choice

• craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was argueing with my fiancee the other night about the mac vs windows debate and decided that I wanted more opinions about it I was also wondering where do the os's like linux fall into this. So who thinks what I'm windows shes pc and she kept trying to say that so many people like windows because it was an "all in one machine" well isn't that almost all computers in general least of all macs with there compatibility issues to every other app in the world. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this topic.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Mac and then Windows. I've never used Linux or any other PCs other than a Mac and Windows so I don't know about them... I do know though that a lot of people love Linux.

My friend just bought a $3000 huge screen Mac and loves it :lol: :roll: (He better for that much money).
  • craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought a cheapie 400 dollar all in one computer kit (windows) to use as a hub for a network and this runs great I think it's amazing how much someone will spend on a mac and then say its great how about buying a cheapie and then let me know what they think no matter what you get when you buy the best there is it better be good. So why the mac is it because your used to them or what? I've heard many people like that they don't get viruses however macs lately have been outselling pc so just wait a while the hackers of the world will start making viruses for them too!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm more used to Windows than Mac... I just believe in Mac :lol: They don't have viruses and like you said, they might get some in a little while.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macs not having viruses is a misconception. Any computer (windows or mac or linux or solaris or unix or hpux or whatever) is prone to getting viruses. The thing is that there are more windows computers out there, so when there are new viruses they infect a lot more computers. Mac viruses do exist, they just don't get the publicity others do.

As far as macs having compatibility issues, that is also a misconception. With apple computers, programmers only have one version of the operating system, and a few different hardware setups to worry about, so that makes them easier to write programs and make new hardware for and stuff, and it generally will work a little better. However with windows, you have everything from these $400 barebones kits all the way up to the multi thousands of dollars computers where no two machines are identical and there are 5 different versions of the operating system plus support for past operating systems. That is when you start running into in compatibility issues.

And to answer your original post: I'm a linux person at heart, but at home I use a mac just because its convenient and it works mostly flawlessy. I've had that computer over 2 years now and it is still just as fast as the day I bought it, I've never had issues getting printers or anything to work, and I've never had a virus.
  • craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really I'm about to build a computer from scratch and I am thinking about running linux on it. Do you have any suggestions about that OS I've never used Linux and have seen quite a few demos about it I especially like the part where it seems like the desktop is in a cube form with six different desktops than can be running at once. What's that all about?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting compiz fusion or beryl or whatever it is called these days is kind of an advanced topic. You'll have to have a compatible video card with a good driver and be well versed at editing configuration files and stuff. Its best to just get a book and pick a distribution and learn from the beginning. Most linux books will come with a cd with the operating system covered in the book, so that makes choosing your first distro easy. A popular one is called ubuntu. Some people prefer fedora also. Check out http://www.distrowatch.com to help you choose. The best way to find a good distribution for you is to try a whole bunch of them and pick your favorite.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

triple boot it is the only solution.
w7, snow leopard, and easier linux like ubuntu, or if making a server fedora.
  • craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's Fedora? At risk to myself of sounding like a complete "NOOB".
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Fedora is a Linux based operating system that provides users with access to the latest free and open source software, in a stable, secure and easy to manage form. Fedora is the largest of many free software creations of the Fedora Project, a partnership of free software community members from around the globe. Because of its predominance, the word "Fedora" is often used interchangeably to mean both the Fedora Project and the Fedora operating system.

http://fedoraproject.org/
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fedora is good, its one of my top choices. And in reference to dyrfin's last post, the choice of linux distro for servers is irrellevent. Like right now I am on a laptop running fedora, I'm not using it as a server. But if I turned on the httpd process (the one that serves up web pages to other computers) then it becomes a server. And right next to me on the rack I have an ubuntu box that is acting as a server because I'm running samba and LTSP on it.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
the choice of linux distro for servers is irrellevent

I'd have to hang that on the context in question. Everyone has a preference, and of course, their reasons for choosing one over another. All the distros have strengths and weaknesses, and I believe some cater to a server environment better than others.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll buy that, this ubuntu server running LTSP I mentioned is junk. Ubuntu just seems to be buggy enough that when you get 50+ people logged in and running applications like the gimp or open office that use a lot of memory, the ubuntu seems to have a hard time managing that. Thats why when I get my FREAKING AWESOME 12 CORE AMD SERVER to replace this one I'm going to try slackware or gentoo on it, and maybe fedora.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

For whatever reason it was that moved me at the time, I decided to try out Debian as a server, and I remain happy with its performance. I particularly enjoy the structured update schedule. Ubuntu is good for a desktop, but I don't want to spend time every day scrambling to keep my machines updated and identical (and that time slot is definitely proportional to the amount of servers involved!). I also find myself being a lot pickier with Ubuntu updates. I tend to scrounge through the releases and pick and choose what I want. With Debian, I feel like there's not so much worry of introducing unreliable code or features to my production boxes.

P.S. -
Quote:
AWESOME 12 CORE AMD SERVER

Very nice. I'm going to need to see some benchmarking when that bad boy rolls in. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it ever rolls in..... HP seemed to have a really hard time accepting my purchase order. The first time they said it didn't have HP mentioned as the vender and the second time it wasn't signed, then the third time they said it still didn't have HP as the vendor even though I used their special PO template they sent me. I faxed the thing to them 5 times before they accepted it. It was suppose to ship within 3-5 days and then be 3-5 days for delivery, but thats the bad thing about living out in the boonies. The 3-5 day delivery time might be 2-3 weeks instead because there is only one freight company that serves such a huge area.
  • craniul 26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • craniul 26

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking with a buddy the other day that was selling a server that he had built and he asked me why I wanted it when I told him he said just to build a master computer. What is the major difference between a "master computer" and a server. I don't understand or was he just giving me *plum*?
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have XP Pro. I'm running a dual boot with Unbuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

I just started the Linux thing about 2 months ago. I'd drop my XP altogether, but I still use it for iTunes, and well it keeps the wifey happy :-)

I should mention I just 30 minutes ago pre-ordered Windows 7 Pro.
  • Wicked_Goddess
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never used a mac... I'm still with Windows.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

craniul 26 wrote:
I was talking with a buddy the other day that was selling a server that he had built and he asked me why I wanted it when I told him he said just to build a master computer. What is the major difference between a "master computer" and a server. I don't understand or was he just giving me *plum*?

I've never heard of this master computer thing. My best guess at what he meant would be to just build a regular PC but use it in the role of a server. Physically, servers usually have beefier hardware (like multiple processors, tons of ram, huge raid arrays) that are designed to handle the bigger work loads, but if all you are doing is setting up a media server for your house or a small web server to test web pages before you upload them to your host then regular "PC" hardware would be fine.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he may be refering to old (but still used /sigh) Netbios windows networking (windows 7 finally has something different.. homegroup).

The reason computers do not show up on network/workgroup is because the master browser computer was not on when the other computer initially said "heeeere i am".

The two things for homes that servers do:
#1 assign static IP's without dinking around on each computer (reservations on DHCP servers)
#2 keep name/ip with local dns services.

With mac/windows/linux it is often a pain to have your macbook open and think Oh I'll transfer the seasons of the office i just downloaded to the beast pc machine, you boot it up and it won't show up on the mac /etc.

With a small $200 dns/dhcp/webserver running 24/7 you avoid a lot of networking issues.. (plus it can be a voip server!)

==========

If you want to try some linux, download knoppix, it boots off a cd and will let you play with it. Other versions have their own live cds as well.

==========

As far as "services = server" status.. I wouldn't think about it like that. Sure you can put IIS on a xp machine and boom its a webserver! Not.

imo true linux server = no xwindows, or any other service not needed.
Core, sshd, httpd, postfix, mysql, bind, dhcpd. (and teamspeak, ventsrv, hlstatsx, etc =p) is all you should have running on it.

Debian and Fedora are two major players imo for server due to not packaging extras. BSD is another choice..

Reason I like Fedora: yum easy to use, update their packages quickly, and selinux.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never used linux before. But I use both Windows and OSX. Since I use OSX more I am a lot faster on it then I am on windows. There are just certain things that I wish there were shortcuts for in windows that there are in OSX.

I think the biggest advantage of OSX is that the hardware and the software are designed and engineered specifically for each other. Because of that (and the fact that the hardware is pretty robust) things just seems to run faster and tend to run a little more stable for me on OSX.

And oh yeah I hate vista. Hopefully 7 will help, although I am not sure since it is the same basic architecture I've heard.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you use w7 for media center, it is a huge improvement over vista. Didn't need any codec downloads/reg hacks for 95% of my videos unlike vista.

Only mkv files are not natively supported, need to get the divx labs download for that. (will need new ac3 as well for that.. silly).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There are just certain things that I wish there were shortcuts for in windows that there are in OSX.

What type of things? I use nnCron for stuff like hotkey assignment to automation stuff that I want implemented (open this, type this in, which results in X, etc.). I find it pretty useful.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
What type of things? I use nnCron for stuff like hotkey assignment to automation stuff that I want implemented (open this, type this in, which results in X, etc.). I find it pretty useful.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. The only problem is actually doing it. It's all standard on the mac and I am lazy or busy....depends on the day. If its not too hard to set up I will give it a shot. Between the keyboard shortcuts and expose, if XP had them I would be so much more productive.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the windows "Run" window. In my opinion, that is the best way to run programs if you know the name of the executable. Just hit Win+R and type something like winmine and hit enter...bingo bango bongo you're playing games faster than clicky clicky.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts