Clearwater Highschool Replaces Numerous Books, with Kindles

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was watching the news this morning and discovered that Clearwater Highschool has done away with numerous text books and replaced them with, Amazon Kindles. Apparently they're the first school to try this as well. More than 2000 students were given Kindles in place of the majority of their text books this year. From what I understand students don't have to buy the Kindles themselves, but they do have to pay for them if they're lost or stolen just like they would the text books.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/ ... es/1121944

Given I live within walking distance of the highschool I have an ominous feeling that a lot of the things are going to end up being stolen, I still think it's a pretty cool idea nonetheless. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

How are schools funded in the US? Is it mostly government/state funded or is this some private funding also?

I ask because i wonder what some parents may think of the cost this will have on the school when it could be used to fund something less extravagant. Kindles are cool, but not a necessity and to me could be seen as more of a luxury especially as they are not quite as cheap as a book.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on How much the electronic version of the books cost. Kindles are $139 that's about the cost of some text books.
  • panel123
  • Born
  • Born
  • panel123

Post 3+ Months Ago

for me. they don't need to pay for the book if they said "replaced"
and it is right it depends on the book cost because of the electronic version of it.. maybe it is cool if the can lees of it.. :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was in highschool textbooks cost somewhere around $40 a piece and I had I think 5-6 books. All together I think the books weighed something like 30 pounds, I know they were heavy enough that most students didn't carry all of them with them at all times. Teachers would collaborate on homework so that students didn't have to take all of their text books home at one time.

So the benefits to students in the form of less weight to carry around are likely to be something a lot pf parents appreciate.

Like Spoof said, the Kindles are somewhere around $140 a piece and if I remember right the local news said that the cost was around the same cost as 3 text books.

Now if these things can last at least two years, then we're just talking about the cost of digital books after that. From what I've read around the Internet, it doesn't seem unrealistic to expect these things to last for at least two years. Though, what I've read has been for adults and not highschool students, so, well, you know how that goes. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts