Cold Weather Static Shock Prevention

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

*peach* *pear* *plum* *apple* *banana* !

I broke my hand a few years ago and now when it gets cold that hand aches something fierce. Getting shocked every few minutes and jerking that hand back isn't helping.

I need some ideas about what I can do to stop getting shocked by just about everything I touch that doesn't involve wearing gloves inside.

Maybe there's some parts I could get at Radioshack that I could strap to my arm to dissipate any static electricity stored in my body or something equally high-tech ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

stop wearing slippers?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm wearing running shoes with rubber soles, long jean pants, and a T-Shirt.
I even got shocked touching a van door comming back from lunch earlier and both it and I have rubber between us and the ground.

I threw that radioshack bit in after I posted earlier as an afterthought, I'm actually giving some sort of mad scientist electronic device some more thought now.

There has to be something I could dissipate small amounts of electricity stored in my body with that's small enough to strap to my arm or even wear like a nicotine patch.

Now that I think about it, maybe there's something PC hardware guys use that doesn't involve strap-grounding themselves to PC cases. :scratchhead:
I've seen shop floor mats designed for that purpose, I think, but that's hardly an option for me here.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, every time I touch my laptop I shock it, sometimes killing the keyboard and touchpad.

I wish I had a way to not build up a static charge. Wearing a grounding strap is an idea....

Maybe I'll shave my head, that might help.

Or get a humidifier to increase the humidity level to 40% +. It isn't the cold that makes static build up, it's the lack of humidity.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts