College Books

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I bout my books today for college, all seven of them for my four classes.... $610.83

I almost died lol
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my soul, that's way expensive, did you get a free car with one of the books or something ... ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just look forward to the day when college is done and you don't have to buy any more books because your employer will pay for them all. I always hated the teachers that would make you buy a $100 book, but then only use it for the review questions at the end of each chapter. I had to take this stupid psychology class for my AAS degree, and the guy straight up said he doesn't follow the book at all, he has his own curriculum, and he would assign us questions #3 and #4 from page 197, then questions 1-15 on page 321, and so on because they were relevent to his lecture on that specific day. He was the type of teacher that just stood behind his podium and talked and talked and talked, never wwrote anything down on his white board, never had and visual aids, never had any hand outs, he made us work for our grade. He was not a very well like instructor.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Almost like ours ... he always just used to walk in and say something like: "Today we're going to do chapter 14 and 15" and then he'd walk out and go sit in his office ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's lazy ass instructors like that that almost make me mad about paying over priced tuition.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was really upset, but by that time all had been paid and everything ... and this was 3 years ago and we still learnt about tables and inline styling and junk like that ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

spoof, can you choose to borrow?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never buy my books until two weeks into the semester. That gives me enough time to decide which books we're actually going to need/use, and then of those, which one's I'm actually going to buy.

Also, I only buy books used, usually from Amazon or Half.com
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first car didn't even cost that much !
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have bought used books, but for the IT stuff at my college they were in the process of restructuring the courses and stuff so there were no used books. And any used books I did get I couldn't sell back to the book store because I was in the last class to use them and the next class was getting new different books.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I would have bought used books, but for the IT stuff at my college they were in the process of restructuring the courses and stuff so there were no used books. And any used books I did get I couldn't sell back to the book store because I was in the last class to use them and the next class was getting new different books.

Wait, so you paid full price for stuff nobody was going to use anymore and was going to be replaced by new stuff the very next year ? :scratchhead:

Did you get a discount on tuition ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

the books I couldn't sell back were used, but our stupid book store had new books for $90 (example) and the used books would be something like $87.50, so not a lot of difference there. My classmates got a bunch of theirs off the internet, but a lot of times they seemed to be different from the ones bought in the college book store. Sometimes they were the same, but one guy bought his big thick cisco book online and his book and every one else's books were all the same edition, same copyright, same everything, yet there was stuff in his book that wasn't in ours and vice versa.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, I'm in the wrong business.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
It's lazy ass instructors like that that almost make me mad about paying over priced tuition.

Yeah! exactly the reason i decided against advancing my studies at the education establishment i was at back in 2006.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my computer class teachers was really cool. Every semester she would buy a new computer for one of her grand kids, but not just any computer. She would have us students spec out the latest and greatest parts on the market then build it from scratch. That was lots of fun.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are my books.. and my cheez-its :)

I probably could of got away with out buying the solutions manuals and the study guides and just borrowed them. My school has a really good return policy so I wasn't to worried. I can get full price back if I return the books before September 2nd. My classes start the August 25th so that should give me enough time to figure out what books I need.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it turns out that, as you may see in that picture, I bout two of the same book.... :roll: however, my teacher doesnt use the questions in the book so I returned them both. $140 back in the pocket!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts