Comcast Usage Limits

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Comcast is now limiting how much bandwidth we can use in the Seattle area now:

Quote:
An Important Message From Comcast

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer

We are pleased to announce the pilot launch of the Comcast Usage Meter in your area. This new feature is available to Comcast High-Speed Internet customers and provides an easy way to check total monthly household high-speed Internet data usage at any time. Monthly data usage is the amount of data, such as images, movies, photos, videos, and other files that customers send, receive, download or upload each month. Comcast measures total data usage and does not monitor specific customer activities to determine data usage.

The current data usage allowance for the Comcast High-Speed Internet service is 250GB per month. This means that the vast majority of our customers - around 99% currently - will not come close to using 250GB of data in a month, and do not need to check the usage meter.

To view your current data usage, please visit http://customer.comcast.com and sign in to customerCentral.

After signing in, click on the "User & Settings" tab and click again on "View details" under "My devices". The usage meter shows the current calendar month's data usage for your account starting on the 1st of the month. Over time, you will be able to see the previous three months data usage.

If you would like to learn more about the usage meter, and how it works please visit http://networkmanagement.comcast.net/datausagemeter.htm for more information. Please visit our customer support forums at http://forums.comcast.net if you would like to ask us more questions or post comments. You can also chat with a customer service representative at http://www.comcastsupport.com/chat, or call 800-928-1614 for assistance.

Thank you for choosing Comcast!

Anybody else getting their usage limited? I am fairly sure I will be fine since I do not that P2P stuff, but I still don't like knowing that I have limits.

I like how they say this is a feature. Right.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have Comcast but from what I've been hearing, the limits were always there. They just weren't telling you, unless you used more than your share. Since there have been so many complaints, they are making the policy public.

They really shouldn't have a limit but if there was one, the customers should have been told from the start.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a customer, and Don's on the money. I called and inquired about them one time in the past and the limits were already there, I just had to ask to find out.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A while back Spork was talking about Time Warner Cable limiting some of there users in the East. He had a website with some stats about general usage and bandwidth amounts, I can't remember the numbers but it seem to not be all that bad. My brother lives in the Seattle area in the U-district. He lives with 8 other people. I'm wondering how this will effect house holds with a large number of internet users.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When the Time Warner news came out the number I remember was an estimation of an HD movie using roughly 8GB of data. If one person watched one of these every day that would be roughly 240GB of data.

I imagine having 8 people in a house all using 1GB of data a day would come close too. Though, in those situations these households should really be getting charged for more than one connection if you ask me.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may also go hand in hand with the transparency requirement of the Net Neutrality Rules discussed in this post
general-discussion/net-neutrality-rules-announced-the-fcc-monday-t100220.html
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm all for net neutrality. And its bandwidth limits that keep me from buying a smart phone. We normally mooch our internet off the motel across the street from our house but it is hit and miss most of the time, and right now they are closed for the winter so we've got nothing. But if we had smart phones we could just use them for our internet, but I'm pretty sure we'd excede out bandwidth allowance and have to pay extra each month.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The fact that they are telling you now maybe fallout from one of the many class action suits Comcast has lost in the past few years for doing sneaky things with bandwidth. I think there was even one in Michigan for something that amounted to double billing.
  • LINE71X
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • LINE71X

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, Well, i for one am glad that i don't use comcast
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate comcast, I get the crappiest speed for a high speed cable connection, they limit bandwidth, they are constantly blacklisting almost brand new modems so that you'll buy theirs, they block p2p and torrent sites, and for me their connection constantly goes out. Unfortunately, their the only option I have for cable internet :(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't have any dsl or a wireless provider? Up here where I live DSL is literally the only option (other than satellite) because there simply isn't any cable service out here yet. A lot of people use verizon and get it over the cell phone network, but coverage is limited to the towns along the highway so if you live in the country you are screwed.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah there's DSL option, but I went with comcast because it was "supposedly" faster than DSL. And about the same price.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Internet here is ridiculously expensive because the ISP almost has a monopoly, they can charge what they want and we'll pay it because of lack of options. Their 1.5M DSL is $50 a month, back in my old town I had 3M in my apartment for $37 a month which I still thought that was high priced then.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, I pay 60 a month for my comcast connection, same 1.5M speed (even though I have yet to see it reaise above 700K, and averages about 2-300K)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts