Complaint letter to management company

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Some of you may be aware that this summer I became the proud owner of a loft condo apartment. We pay condo fees monthly and we have a management company that would be the equivalent of a superintendent or a landlord for renters.

Keep in mind that this week, the last floor moves in so come first week of Sept, the entire building (22 floors) will be filled. We have 33 underground heated visitor's parking spots. Which up to today have been great.

I went home for lunch today and under my door I found a letter from the management team (everyone has one under their door) telling us the "new" rules for the visitor's parking. I have scanned and created an image of the letter from the management.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do that would actually make a difference. i.e; write a letter to the management and get as many tenants as possible to sign it, contact my lawyer to find out if they are legally allowed to do this or confront her myself? Any other suggestions of things that could possibly work?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8223/taggartrc3.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks to me like they are trying to keep the parking under control which is understandable. Give it some time to work the kinks out. $20 is a bit unreasonable for a parking spot to me and if the other tenants feel the same and if no one is buying more tickets then maybe management will rethink this initial plan.

If you are set on trying to change things, see if you can get tenant support and speak with a lawyer and see what can or cannot be done
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your advice.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would cost me $24 to park a car at the beach for 24 hours here in Florida.

The spot would be out in the open, not an enclosed, heated garage.
I'd have to take the time to pump 96 quarters into the meter.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about you guys up north, but here in NY when you have multi unit condo there is a HOA(Home Owners Association) and you get a book that outlines what your responsibilities are as well as what the maintenance fees are used for( I would think that for this to happen it would have to be voted on). If this is the case, you should see if a portion of your fees are for the guest parking. If it is then, you can argue that you are already paying for this. If not you should find out what it would cost on a per unit basis to cover the fees. The management company is working for you(the owners) they should not have to power to cause your property to be a source of revenue for them. If that was the case you could fire them and hire a new management co. Who knows It might end up being cheaper for each unit to fork over a few bucks each month in your maintenance to cover the parking instead of charging for it.

Also if you(the owners) agree that the guest parking will remain free, be advised that you inevitable will have owners who may own multiple cars always using the extra spaces. Limiting the "free" amount of spaces.

Dangles
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We do have something like a Home Owners Association, it's called the condo board of trustees or something like that. Though because its' still a fairly new building, it hasn't been formed yet especially since this week the last floor moves in. I pressume we'll get a notice about that sometime in the near future. You can bet I'll be the first one in line for that board!

So to update you all on the issue at hand, one of my neighbours and I, drafted up a response letter. Let me post it

Quote:
Hi <management lady name>,

I must say, this notice is extremely disappointing and without forewarning!

Has there been a problem of abuse within the visitor parking area? Each time I have checked, at least half of the 33 visitor spots are available.

<management lady name>, most of us have based our decision on whether or not to purchase a parking spot on the information given about supple visitor parking and now have to pay as though we do not own a property there?!

What is your definition of "short-term parking?" Are you telling me that when we have a weekend guest (Friday-Sunday) visiting our own home we need to pay $60 for them to park in the heated and underground garage that we pay for within our monthly fees?

Why is it that these gracious "10 free tokens" expire as soon as November 30th when we were given our only notice today and it being "in effect now" (...or is your expiry date of November 31st to be taken as an ongoing token, seeing as how there is no 31st of November?)

"Additional tokens may be purchased for $20 each. This pricing reflects a reasonable price for our enclosed and heated parking facilities" - where does it state that our communal condominium fees do not include the maintenance and heating of our parking garage as well?
Where exactly does the money from this token fund go?
Who is the treasurer of this fund?
What statistics are you basing your $20 per token fees on? How do you rate $20 for 24 hours of underground heated parking spot when we pay for the concrete and heat?

I look forward to both your reply and reasoning.

<neighbour's name>
Phase 3 - Owner of Unit # 1205

cc. <my name>
Phase 3 - Owner of Unit # 1210
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant see the original letter flavah, so I can not really comment, although I would like to.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

benat, I created a different link let me know if that letter works.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good letter, Flavah. Seems a bit rediculous. So you get a 1 hour guest and it costs $20 for them to park? Somebody in your management company clearly isn't thinking reasonably.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well I do to a degree understand what the management lady is saying about making the parking fair, etc, but I can not for the life of my justify why they have to charge you $20 per day. Thats ridiculous!

I dont understand why they want possibly $140 per week from you guys (god forbid if you had a good circle of friends who wanted to visit or family members who came and stayed for over a week) I could understand if they said $10 a week, but sheesh, thats abit over the top.

I would personally be demanding to know where the money is going, and if they can not justify it, maybe take some action of your own and start a petition to lessen the amount or scrap it completely.

In my opinion, they should have thought about things like before they started selling the apartments, suddenly springing a $20 per day fee on the residents is going to make alot of people angry. Imagine telling your guests, "Oh you can come and visit me, but its gonna cost ya 20 bucks" I know where I would tell you to go if I didnt fully understand the situation LOL (No offence meant there) But they need to consider people having a boyfriend or girlfriend, people having relatives, people having family and people actually having a LIFE.

To me thats just saying, we dont really want you noisy a** visitors around, so lets just slap them with a fee, and maybe that will deter them, then maybe we can control your life a little. I know that may sound silly, but its kind of what they are doing. I mean who in their right mind WOULD ask their visitors to pay a $20 fee?

I would seriously start a petition, if you don't get some reasonable answers, maybe ask if the money is going towards a heated red carpet in the garage, or maybe a gold plated garage door LOL!

Remember, that woman has a boss, and if she manages to p**s enough people off, and the residents actually speak up and say we wont pay, she might hear some nice words from that boss of hers.

They need to consider people with mortgages, and people who aren't as well off as others, and also people with larger families.

Take the first step flavah and talk to some of your neighbours, I bet you my bottom dollar they will be just as angry! I am sure you can come up with some kind of petition against it, it can be amazing what opening your mouth can do in these kinds of situations.

How many apartments are in the building?

// Sorry this is so long! lol
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your responses. There has been a lot of emails going back and forth between the property manager and my neighbour and I. I will definitely keep you all updated on our correspondance and you have anything we should keep adding to emails please do let me know.

There are 22 floors in our building and 10 apartments per floor except for the penthouse floor that houses 5 apartments. Phase 2 has 8 floors and 10 apartments per floor. Phase 1 has 14 floors and 10 apartments per floor.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
There are 22 floors in our building and 10 apartments per floor except for the penthouse floor that houses 5 apartments. Phase 2 has 8 floors and 10 apartments per floor. Phase 1 has 14 floors and 10 apartments per floor.

That's 435 units. If every unit uses one a week which isn't an unreasonable expectation for an average; that would be $ 452,400.00 a year. That is a hell of a lot of money for a concrete slab and a space heater.

Though the amount of units you now cite is a little enlightening. How could the builders think that 33 spaces could accomidate 435 units. Thats less then 8% of the owners.

Am i missing something or does each building have 33 spaces. If so then your building has a 215 units. 33 is 15% of the units, that still seems low. If every spot is occupied every day that would come to $ 240,900.00. You would be better served to hire an attendant for 30-40K a year and let him log who the visitor is for. Then at your annual meetings you can address it with any owner who is taking advantage.

Dangles
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG.. I won't bore you guys with all the emails that went back and forth, but the latest email, which I've saved and printed for proof, the property manager has agreed with us and will NOT be charging visitors for parking. THe tokens will still be used but ONLY for overnight stays. She is sending out a new memo to all tenants advising them on the change.

This just goes to show that 1 person (in this case 2) really CAN make a difference. I'm so happy.

And if she goes back on her word, I've got it in writing.

Once the board of members is formed, I'm going to nominate myself prez LOL
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Outstanding news.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
OMG.. I won't bore you guys with all the emails that went back and forth, but the latest email, which I've saved and printed for proof, the property manager has agreed with us and will NOT be charging visitors for parking. THe tokens will still be used but ONLY for overnight stays. She is sending out a new memo to all tenants advising them on the change.

This just goes to show that 1 person (in this case 2) really CAN make a difference. I'm so happy.

And if she goes back on her word, I've got it in writing.

Once the board of members is formed, I'm going to nominate myself prez LOL

Im sorry flavah... you have just tested positive:

for G........A...........M........E

lol good news

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts