Complete Privacy Does Not Exist

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... ogle1.html

Quote:
Google contends that a Pennsylvania family has no legal grounds to sue the search giant for publishing photos of their home on its popular "Street View" mapping feature.

Quote:
In their lawsuit, the Borings charged that a Google vehicle--outfitted with a panoramic camera on its roof--drove down a private road to take images of their Oakridge Lane home. In its dismissal motion, Google noted that it intends to prove that there was "no clearly marked 'Private Road' sign at the beginning" of the Borings's street. Google removed its "Street View" photos of the Boring residence and swimming pool after the couple filed its lawsuit in April

I wouldn't blame the Borings for wanting that removed, that seems a little too much, especially if they drove down a private road.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, it just irks me sometimes that people sue over the silliest things. I bet they couldn't give a hoot about the pictures or not. Just an opportunity to sue a large company and hopefully get some money here. I'd also bet there wasn't a sign clearly marking it as a private road. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a "Private Road" sign.

Who's right or wrong here? In my book if it came down to a coin toss, the toss would favor Google. I'm sure these people never sued the insurance company for taking pictures of their house. What? They didn't know the insurance company took photos? You can bet your bottom dollar they have.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm sure these people never sued the insurance company for taking pictures of their house. What? They didn't know the insurance company took photos? You can bet your bottom dollar they have.

While I agree with you for the most part about silly sewing, your insurance company doesn't publish the pictures to the world. I wouldn't mind google taking street side views of my house, however if they where to come into my yard and take pictures of my family that might bother me. Not so much that google is doing it but that now my face and my kids faces would be published the on the internet along with where I live.

Now I don't have kids nore married, haven't even been to college ;) but I still stand by what I said.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
You know, it just irks me sometimes that people sue over the silliest things.

I agree, they should just request Google to remove it if it bothers them.

ATNO/TW wrote:
I'd also bet there wasn't a sign clearly marking it as a private road. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a "Private Road" sign.

It's possible it wasn't marked, but I see private road signs in my area all the time.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this mean we're allowed to grab our cameras and go into Googles server rooms/etc ?

I bet we could cover some of our trip expenses by selling the photos to the likes of Microsoft and similar. :D
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Does this mean we're allowed to grab our cameras and go into Googles server rooms/etc ?

I bet we could cover some of our trip expenses by selling the photos to the likes of Microsoft and similar. :D

Lol :lol:
I also think they just wanted some money
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it all depends on whether or not the sign was there marking it a private road. It's not illegal anywhere to take pictures of houses from the street. It's really just like walking by them and seeing them in person; to my knoweledge it's not illegal to look at someones house from the street. If the people sueing google want that much privacy than poot a gate at the beginning of the road with the "private road" sign on it. I see these all the time when I go camping in the mountains. Very effective at keeping people out.

(side note: it's really hard to turn your car around on a one lane dirt road that leads to these gates...)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts