Consumer Harddrive Market Fueled by Piracy ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had an odd thought after getting a weekly sale email featuring a 2 TB harddrive for $89. How much of the consumer harddrive market do you think can be attributed to piracy, would harddrive manufacturers be at the capacities they are and at the prices they're at, had it not been for a boom in applications such as Kazaa, Napster, bit-torrent, etc ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say no. The majority of people who use such large drives are using them for legal purposes. What percentage of computer users use kaaza & the like? I'd say 10% at the most.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I agree. I think a lot of those drives are going into networked storage for industries that have lots and lots of data. For example the video/animation industries where 1 minute of uncompressed HD video is something like 30GB. I bet places like Pixar are buying 2Tb drives by the truck load and in so doing are causing manufacturing and the consumer pricing to drop to affordable levels.
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

The computer hard drives f large capacity are mostly used for good purposes like keeping movies,music,educational materials. A very few people use them for illegal tasks.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

navidimran wrote:
The computer hard drives f large capacity are mostly used for good purposes like keeping movies,music,educational materials. A very few people use them for illegal tasks.

I don't agree ... you're contradicting yourself actually. Most of these movies etc are pirated. Just look at http://www.btjunkie.org and see how many seeders there are for popular movies and then realize that the seeders are the people who have already downloaded that movie illegally and are now sharing it with others.

The more space people have, the more chance of them downloading something illegally.

I am not saying that these two are directly connected, but it does have an effect.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I noticed that contradiction but I didn't bother comment.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think if you remove the "corporate" scene from the buying market (OEM drives) I would say a large portion of hard drives are used for storing illegally obtained content. Then again you have to realize with how advanced cameras are with 12mb sensors and full 1080 hd quality video that it takes a lot of space to store all those photos and videos.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have no numbers to substantiate that statement.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats why its my opinion and I didn't state it as fact ;) I dont see any data supporting your claim either.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if you just looked at 'home owners', most of them know nothing about pirating. Not only don't they know about pirating, most of them wouldn't know what a HD looks like or what a GB is. Many of them, my sister for one, thought that her data is stored in the memory.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just because they don't know what its technical name is called doesn't mean they don't know what it can do. Memory stores information, so in most peoples minds it makes perfect sense to call that thing on there desk (external hdd) memory. Also the people buying large drives are probably the younger generation, who probably know a lot about pirating because they invented it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Common sense tells us that the so called younger generation, which could mean anything, can only be, at the most 25%, of PC home users.

What age group do you think is in the younger generation, 25 & younger?

Besides, removing corporate consumers from the Joebert's original question, doesn't make sense. No matter how you slice it, it can only be a small percentage of HD purchasers who use them for pirating.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like many of you have said there are no facts to support any claims here. But on the issue of piracy, I don't believe pirates are any large percentage of the hard drive market. Most pirated material is compressed to fit on smaller hard drives and ease of transfer over the internet. Most music is in mp3 format, and movies are under a GB. One 2TB hard drive would be more the capable of sustaining a pirate's "large" collection. I can't name any particular group that would be contributing to the hard drive market, but I am certain that pirates are not it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to reiterate "consumer" hard drive market here. By consumer, I'm referring to non-business home users. The people who are going to places like Best Buy and New Egg without their bosses credit card.

Now that I've had more time to think about it, maybe I have it backwards. Perhaps the hard drive market isn't fueled by piracy at all, maybe piracy is fueled, at least in a significant part, by the hard drive market.

Realistically speaking here, what on Earth does the average consumer really need 2TB of storage space for ?

Maybe consumers with ridiculous amounts of electronic storage space and nothing to use that space for are just like celebrities with truck loads of money. They're bound to find something to do with it and a lot of times it's nothing productive.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't mean reiterate because that means that you said it before & you didn't. You are clarifying it now, 9 days later.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts