Converting ISO to mpeg-2 (DVD)

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got some movies in ISO format... so i use deamon tool to run it... now i want to burn them into DVDs but i have no idea on how to go about with this? I want them as Mpeg-2 or DVD format so they can be played on a normal DVD Player... i've tried running virtual DVD drive then getting Nero to burn from it but doesn't seem to work.. any help suggestion?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a few ways to do this.

First determine what kind of media your DVD player can play. Some only do DVD-R and otheres only DVD+R. Others can do both. Check it at:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Does your DVD burner support Dual Layer burning?
If so, then just burn the ISO to a DL Disc with DVD Decrypter, Nero, ImgBurn, etc.

If not then follow these steps:

If the ISO is a Single Layer ISO (~4 gigs) then burn that to a Single Layer disc. If it is larger than that, you will need DVD Dhrink, which can compress the movie to a Single Layer size with minimal quality loss.

If this is too confusing, just post what your DVD burner and player's manufacterers and model numbers are. I'll find out what each can do and what you need to get. You won't need to buy any software for this.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you mount the ISO into Daemon Tools, open up the virtual drive and look at the contents. If you have a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders then they are already in DVD format. Then check here for links on how to burn ISO's.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm writing a global tutorial right now.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try to make a global tutorial so you can take whatever information applies to you:

How to Copy DVDs the cool way
There are several types of DVD media. When you want to burn a DVD movie, you need to worry about 2 things: What layer and + or - . Although that sounds simple, you need to determine what you will be doing with these movies to make the most use out of them.

+ or -
If you are playing them on a computer, it doesn't matter really which you choose, since if you can burn it you can play it. If you use a DVD player, you'll need to find out what typed of media it supports.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

This site has an archive of DVD players and what media type they support.

Single Layer vs Dual Layer
Single Layer(SL) - ~4.7 GB
Dual Layer(DL) - ~9.4 GB
Obviously you can only burn what your drive supports, but what if you have a choice or are deciding what kind of burner to get. Today's DVDs are almost always Dual Layer DVDs because of all the extra content they want to fit on there. If you have a Dual Layer Drive you can go about burning these to your hearts content, but the price of blank DL disks can get pretty high. If you want perfect copies and can't have it any other way, then this is the way to go. If you dont mind compressing the DVDs (in most cases quality isn't noticeably different) then save some money and go with Single Layer.

Tools
I'm sure there are a billion tools that can do the same thing, but I'm going to stick with free/common programs to do the operations we need to do.

DVD Shrink - comes with DVD decryption algorithms you need to rip any encrypted DVDs, and can compress a Dual Layer disc to Single Layer with very easy to use functionality
DVD Decrypter - works hand in hand with DVD Shrink; decrypts, rips, and burns DVDs easily and quickly with several options.
ImgBurn - Continuation of DVD Decrypter but doesn't rip DVDs; useful for burning difficult ISOs
Nero - not free but definitely comes with a slew of burning tools

Remember when compressing, the smaller the filesize, the better the quality. So if you can remove some of the special features (or even the whole main menu if you want) the compression will be less.

Burning from ISOs
If you need to compress it, just mount the ISO onto a virtual drive and treat it like a disc.
If it's the correct size, then just burn it with DVD Decrypter, Nero, or ImgBurn
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you still need help just post your DVD Burner and DVD Player's info.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys! i just wanted to play around with the ISO file so i decided to unzip it using winRAR into my HD... and yes the contents had the two folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS... after unzipping (not really sure what the correct word) it i used 1ClickDVDCopy to copy it to DVD since Nero wouldn't recognize the file :) thanks guys :)
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure thing. You should have been able to burn that ISO with DVD Decrypter or any other ISO burning software. Keep that in mind for next time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts