Me creating a CMS

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to test my PHP knowledge so I decided to create a full blown CMS with all the features I could imagine... and get from other people who would like to see a feature in a CMS.

You don't have to use the CMS, I just want some more features added to the growing list of features just to see if I could do it. I want the CMS to be fully customizable as possible and I want ideas on what to create and stuff like that.

This would also be a great learning opportunity for me.

The post I made about it on my site is here, and obviously, I would prefer if you post your requests there, but I really don't care. You could post them here.

Thanks for all of your participation in this project :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats the scope? Are we talking about a CMS like Joomla, Drupal or something like Wordpress or blogger?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know Joomla or Drupal as I have never used before, and I know that wordpress is like blogger, but my CMS thing wouldn't be a blog type thing.

You could create pages, organize them into categories, and things like that... so I would assume like Joomla or Drupal since I know it's not going to be a blog type thing.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It certainly would help to actually look into a few existing CMS's first before you attempt to build on from scratch ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
It certainly would help to actually look into a few existing CMS's first before you attempt to build on from scratch ;)
Why?
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took a look at your list of future implementations. It sounds like an impressive and equally daunting task. If your interested in expanding that list, I suggest the same as spork, take a look at what other cms' have to offer and add some of their functionalities to the list.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I didn't think of that. I'll try that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing... I was thinking of having a template class thing... I was thinking between a class i could possibly find on the net or using one that Rabid Dog posted.

I haven't found the classes that I could use if I wasn't going to use Rabid Dog's tutorial... I guess I'll find them, post here and let you guys choose.

[EDIT:] I'm probably going to use this template class... looks good. Testing it at them moment.

[EDIT 2:] Nevermind, I decided to go with this class... although it's not exactly what I wanted, but it works better than any other one I could find.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I knew anything about plug-ins, classes, or programming languages - I'd let you know if it was a good choice...but I don't lol. What makes this class better then the others?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that class because I can do conditional checks and looping as well... I'm converting my template right now to use the class and it's going well... I couldn't find another class that is only one 16KB and requires only one class to work... SMARTY is about a whole framework :lol:

I'm also playing around with the layout and the design as well.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

one of the pitfalls to wordpress is that you have to download other themes to get different layouts, or adjust the css drastically to get different layouts. I'd like to see your cms come with a couple different css layouts for easier custom design. Maybe take a couple of these and allow the user to select which layout they want for easier customization.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have just given me an idea for the CMS :D Thank you (I'm talking about an idea other than the one you gave me... your idea gave me another idea...) I just have to figure out a way to make it work :) Thank you.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, is it a secret? What's the new idea?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
lol, is it a secret? What's the new idea?

I still have to work on the idea... I don't know yet how to implement it or how to make it work.. I guess I just got a framework of an idea :lol: But it's going to make the CMS more customizable.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like where this is going and I think I know what you mean because I was thinking it when you said "you just gave me a great idea"

Are you thinking an interface that allows you to customize the layout through options such as radio button? This would be way cool
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
Are you thinking an interface that allows you to customize the layout through options such as radio button? This would be way cool

Dammit! Now it's not a secret... well sort of... that is about what it is... just a little more customizable.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, oops! sorry bogey. Honestly, I think this is a fantastic idea and will add a lot of value and usability. Good luck!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was joking... I'm not frustrated or angry or anything like that... just having a good idea for the template menu in the admin panel :D and during the installation

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts