Day #2 of No Sleep, Sore Throat, Excessive Burping

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So in the last few days I have got a cold, normally they go through the regular cycle of a sore burny throat, then switches to runny nose, then the horrible cough, and after that slowly goes away. Seems like 9 out of 10 colds go that way for me. This cold is not fitting the norm for me. When I got the sore throat shortly after I already started coughing and I think that has made my throat more sore. Also this one is new to me, but I feel like I am creating much more mucous than normal. I don't have a runny nose yet, in fact I can breathe completely fine through both of my nostrils. Its all in the throat for the most part. During the day it its sore, but at least I can function. When I goto bed at night its a completely different story. I find that I cannot stop coughing, excessive burping probably due to how I am swallowing, and suddenly choking so I have to sit up straight in my bed for it to stop. Last night I got about 1 hour of sleep if that. Tonight I tried to got bed and its just not going to happen, keep having major breathing problems.

So I wouldn't say on a pain level this cold is any worse than any others, the main thing that is standing out to me is that it is absolutely impossible for me to sleep and that is what is making it feel bad. I am so tired/exhausted but I just gave up which is why I am writing this because I feel like venting.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi you might need to see a doctor and ask if you should be prescribed with antibiotics.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just throwing this out here for no real reason... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

And here everyone says this is "the most wonderful time, of the year". :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last night at first was pretty bad too, was up all night. Finally in the early morning was able to fall asleep. Today I am actually feeling a marked improvement now, so I have hope that tonight will be easier and maybe I can get a full night sleep. Just the thought of getting a fully night sleep makes me feel it will be the most wonderful time of the year.

I kind of think I had the Flu, it didn't fit the symptoms of Strep or the one Bogey pointed out. The main things with this one was the really sore throat with alot of red bumps in the back of my throat, lots of coughing, and horrible gas pains, diarrhea, and excessive burping/belching which I have never experienced before.

When I looked at the CDC website for the maps where FLU has been reported:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

My state shows no activity, so that is the main thing that makes me think it was still some sort of common cold. I guess there are many different viruses that can cause the common cold, so maybe it wasn't the typical Rhinovirus.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eat anything new lately? Maybe you are allergic to some ingredient. That whole gas pains, belching thing just seems odd, I've never heard of a cold doing that to someone before.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I had gas pains before, but never the burping/belching like I went through. Was very strange indeed.

About a week ago I had Indian food for my first time, and I typically am not allergic to anything. I suppose that could change as I age though. The only things I am aware that I am allergic to is Erythromycin and Sulfa.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

A week seems like it would be a long time for food related symptoms to come about. Maybe it's a normal cold, and the burping is unrelated.

Quote:
The only things I am aware that I am allergic to is Erythromycin and Sulfa.

Ha. I had to take erythromycin a few times as a kid to clear up chest colds because I'm allergic to penicillin.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to agree. Sounds more like allergies than a (standard) cold or flu -- not that anything is the norm these days. A doctor could sort that all out though.
So essentially I am adding the obligatory 'me too' post. :)
  • mshkh 8989
  • Born
  • Born
  • mshkh 8989

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi bigwebmaster,

Found your post interesting so I thought I should reply. I know that this post was in 2011 but anyhow. I experienced the same symtoms for the first time in jan 2012 after I got a normal cold which turned into a nightmare because I couldn't sleep due to constant belching/burping. It was horrible! I started taking antibiotics after which it calmed down but my antibiotics really didn't kick in unless I slept, and it was impossible to sleep.

I had 4 sleepless nights after which the 5th night, being on heavy antibiotics etc I was so sick I couldn't tell if I was fainting or trying to sleep. Anyhow after sleep is when I started to feel better. I had another episode again in feb and I think another one is trying to occur right about now.

Anyway, I don't know if you have been able to figure out what it is but as far as I know, I was diagnosed with acid reflux about 4 months ago and put on acid reflux medication.

The belching and burping is usually caused my acid ... the sore throat is also probably due to the acid reflux as excess acid coming up your throat creates major irritation for the throat. Your gas pains are telling you that something is not right.

Ive experienced all these symtoms, my doctors havn't been of much help. But you definitly need to get checked for acid reflux, more like Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). That indian food you mentioned was probably acidic and maybe even spicy.... Please get back to me if you found this helpful... or if you have figured out a cure ....
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are slowly dying. Just kidding. Here's my thing that seems to work for me and might do well for you too. Go to your local health food store and get some apple cider vinegar with the mother. Thats the important part, most of the cheapo stuff from wal mart doesn't have the mother. Just two tea spoons in a glass of water once or twice a day until you are feeling better will help. It seems like an old wives tale and I can't explain how it works, but it does. I actually do that every day all winter long whether or not I'm sick and for the most part I stay well and don't get much more than an occasional sore throat or case of the sniffles that only lasts a day or two.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi mshkh 8989,

Sorry to hear you are dealing with that. All of my stuff went away finally, but there was a period for about a week that was really rough. The only thing that quite has not gone away since then is a slight runny nose. I have a feeling I have a very low key sinus infection, probably caused by that cold way back in November. Anyway I finally made a doctor appointment with a nose, throat, and ear lady that had resolved my problems in the past when I had something subtle left over like this. I have a feeling that is what it is for me, my appointment is in a few weeks. I am not really bothered by what I have now, it is so very slight, just enough to be a tad annoying. My wife says ever since November I have been snoring too, so hopefully when I go in that will cure that too as she always hits me in the night to stop snoring, lol. I used to never snore.

No more gas pains or anything like that for me. I think I just had a really bad cold that may have turned into bronchitis and then due to that it also caused a sinus infection that I probably need antibiotics to cure. That is my guess, I will know more details in a few weeks at my appointment.

Overall I am approximately 10000000x better than November though :)

I hope you resolve your problem, your doctors haven't really made anything better yet?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get heartburn every day and have done for years. I spoke to a doctor about it a few years ago and he prescribed me some medicine that seemed to do the trick... at least until it ran out. As a result of the heartburn for over a year now i have not drank any soft drinks, no coca cola or anything that has any acid in it (apple juice and orange juice i very rarely have) and i stopped eating Chocolate for almost a year, although even today i very rarely have it. I thought this might make a difference to it but it has been ineffective.

I'm very convinced that i have some sort of acid reflux problem that could easily be solved. Although having read up on it it might have something to do with a ulcer in my stomach or something bad like throat cancer. I am sure if it was either of those it would have done something to make me think "crap, i should see a doctor". The ulcer is relevant to above conversations because i wonder how much of the pains you both have had could have been down to a possible ulcer in your stomachs?

Hopefully your problems clear up soon mshkh 8989. My only suggestion with regards to acid reflux would be to have consistency in your diet and reduce acidy foods/drinks. That is the advice i got from my doctor and initially it was successful. It may help with the sore throat problems you've been having.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts