D-Day?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it today is like the main day in which the general public gets to vote for who you'd like to see running for the Democrat party in the Presidential elections in the US?

At least that's how the BBC are reporting it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Democrats, Clinton and Obama, are in the fight of their lives. Whoever wins the Pennsylvania Primary will probably be the Democratic choice for President. If Obama wins he will have a commanding lead over Clinton. If Clinton wins she will gain the lead over Obama.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been an ugly campaign with both political parties. It seems more like they have been bickering about he-said she-said mumbo jumbo crap instead of the actual issues these last several months. It's like a bunch of children arguing on the playground. This will be the first year I am actually old enough to vote for president, and honestly I'm not looking forward to it. Not a single one of the candidates looks like any good.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I refuse to vote for either of those idiots. I'll just wait until the main election and vote for McCain
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like them either, thank God I don't have to choose between one of them.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
It's been an ugly campaign with both political parties. It seems more like they have been bickering about he-said she-said mumbo jumbo crap instead of the actual issues these last several months. It's like a bunch of children arguing on the playground. This will be the first year I am actually old enough to vote for president, and honestly I'm not looking forward to it. Not a single one of the candidates looks like any good.

That's just like politics in general. Here in Scotland there are 3 main political partys where the two that are not in power just squable and complain about the stuff the party in power has done. It's funny because rightfully so the part in power is doing a good job and actually has improved in reputation as a result.

I wouldn't vote for a baby or anyone that acts like one in any election.

The Democrats are stupid having the public to vote on who they think should run for them. In theory it should be a good idea, but all it's doing is showing the divide the party has and boosting the chances on the Republicans on winning the election that actually counts.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What happens if McCain has a stroke before the election ?
He is kinda old afterall. That was actually my reason for wanting to vote for him when I read somewhere that Romney was going to be his running mate.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then we should expect the next four years to be a nightmare.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
The Democrats are stupid having the public to vote on who they think should run for them. In theory it should be a good idea, but all it's doing is showing the divide the party has and boosting the chances on the Republicans on winning the election that actually counts.

That is how it works here. The Republicans have a bunch of people run for the chance of being the Presidential candidate and so do the Democrats. McCain beat out all of his competition early. Clinton and Obama have been duking it out and now we are down to the last 10 primaries to decide a victor finally.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah right, i just assumed it was a Democrat thing. It's just the way it's been this time i guess.

I've sort of had a small interest in American politics, but never really followed it as closely as i have done this time round.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
That's just like politics in general.

A lot of times it is more of just a rivalry between one party and another. Most of the time if one group says something, the other group says the opposite just to spark a debate. It's all crap really. Having seperate political parties is good because it offers a better representation of the population, but the politicians have to remember that they are representing Joe Citizen and everyone else. Thats the biggest problem is that our politicians get way too far disconnected from the people who's lives they are affecting.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly Kc0tma. I think you guys saw more of Gordon Brown when he was in America last week than we have since he became our Prime Minister last year.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pennsylvania is the deciding factor. The Colbert Report had a special day about it yesterday :P
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry.....I don't know who Gordon Brown is. Maybe I should, but a few months ago I quit watching the big shot news channels (fox news, cnn, etc.), in fact, I got into the parental controls on my tv and blocked them out completely. I got pissed off about how they were making a big deal over which celebrities dated the other and stuff, and how so-and-so is in rehab, blah blah blah. There are more important things in life that the pop culture. I didn't even know the pope was in the US until Saturday, the day before he left, obviously I'm not a catholic. It seems like the mass media are responsible for all the bull *plum* with this presidential election. They've had such a huge influence over the debates and the candidates schedules and the fierce slander between each of them. It's just really disheartening.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gordon Brown is the UK Prime Minister. He took control after Tony Blair stepped down last year. The public had no say on him being elected which has annoyed quite a few people.

To be honest, he's doing a poor job and seems to not really care about his future in the party or politics in general. He was in America last week meeting up with the Democrat candidates for no reason in particular while the UK (like many other countries) is going through a bit of an economic crisis thanks to this so-called "credit crunch".

At the time the country needs a prime minister he's making no public appearances to reassure the thousands of people who are struggling to make their Mortgage payments every month.

Personally i can't stand the guy. I wish someone would impeach him. He makes Tony Blair look good.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
while the UK (like many other countries) is going through a bit of an economic crisis thanks to this so-called "credit crunch".

I'll tell you one thing that ticked me off with vice pres. Dick a week or two ago that the local tv station reported on. They first ran a story about the super duper high gasoline and oil prices, then they ran a story about airlines canceling flights for one reason or another. Then they ran a short snippet about how Dick went to Colorado in Air Force One for a measley two hour long republican fund raiser, then flew back to DC. People save up money and plan for years in advance to go on that one perfect and much deserved vacation, just to have their flights cancelled. But the vice president can fly anywhere he wants on a whim using tax payers dollars. To be honest with you, I can't name one thing that our vice president has done since he has been in office that has had to do with the interests and well being of our country. Not a one. It just gets so frustrating to know that we elected these bone heads and there isn't hardly a thing we can do to get them to change their ways.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, it would have been Air Force 2, not AF 1. :) AF 1 is the designation of the aircraft only when the President is on board. When it carries the VP, it's called Air Force 2.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really? That's silly but it almost makes sense. What would they call it if nobody is riding in it? Because they say there are actually multiple presidential airplanes and they are in the air at all times. If Condeleeza Rice rides is it AF3? What if Bush and Rice ride, AF1,3 or AF1+3, AF1/3? AF4? ;)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I can't believe how much stuff that has been said here that is completly wrong.

If Obama wins Pen, he will most likley get the nomination. If Clinton wins Pen. she will still be trailing with deligates and will need to win the next one (Illinois).

As for Air Force One. It doesn't matter what airplane he president is on, It could be a Blimp, it's designation is automatically changed to AF1. The VP is just a Bitch boy and pretends to be important with a special airplane designation.
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who do you guys think will be McCain´s VP?..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't vote in the PA primary, mainly because I forgot to get an absentee ballot last time I was in town and I couldn't make it home to vote today.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm normally registered as nonpartisan but I switched to republican so that I could vote against McCain in our primary in May, but now that is seeming to be futile, so I may go back to the courthouse and go back to nonpartisan and skip our primary. Really, the guy I liked most for this presidential election was John Edwards, but he quit long ago. I despise McCain and Clinton. Obama I'm still on the fence about, some days he is ok and others he isn't. I'm also really really happy that Rudy Guiliani isn't going for it anymore, that guy is slime. Everyone else I suppose I could tolerate, like Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul. I could have just bit my lip and tolerated it with Romney even too.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea who I will vote for this year.... I'll wait til the last minute to decide. I heard Coni Rice might be VP for McCain..... just a rumor though.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I think you guys saw more of Gordon Brown when he was in America last week than we have since he became our Prime Minister last year.

Man, that guy has the deepest voice I've ever heard.. and he sure does love to listen to it.

Regarding the primaries, I'm still rooting for Obama. I'd love to get in on Hillary's universal healthcare plan, but I don't think she's electable enough to go one on one against McCain.

Lizano wrote:
Who do you guys think will be McCain´s VP?..

George Bush :lol:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh god.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hillary's and Obama's health care plans are the same. they both suck. We dont' need to "Socialize" out countries medicine.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

What we need is for these big health companies to stop giving away pens and stationary and fancy logo junk to doctors and nurses and clinics as a promotional thing. My mommy is a medical transcriptionist, and she hasn't had to buy any pens or paper for the last several years because she gets free stuff from the drug reps and sales people that come to the hospital all the time. If the drug companies would quit buying that stuff to give out free, medicine would cost less. You may have guessed, I'm a fan of generic brand medications.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
Hillary's and Obama's health care plans are the same. they both suck. We dont' need to "Socialize" out countries medicine.

Know any old people who can't get health insurance and can't afford their huge medical bills? I do, and I sure don't want to grow old in a country that treats its elders the way the U.S. does.

Japan spends half as much on healthcare as we do and has a longer life expectancy. I'm not saying I want to move to Japan, I'm saying it's worth exploring other options than our current healthcare system, because it sucks.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you want to pay less for your health insurence but be put on a 6 month waiting list? Sure would suck to die from an ingrown toenail.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
What we need is for these big health companies to stop giving away pens and stationary and fancy logo junk to doctors and nurses and clinics as a promotional thing. My mommy is a medical transcriptionist, and she hasn't had to buy any pens or paper for the last several years because she gets free stuff from the drug reps and sales people that come to the hospital all the time. If the drug companies would quit buying that stuff to give out free, medicine would cost less. You may have guessed, I'm a fan of generic brand medications.

I agree. That's why capitalism and healthcare don't mix. When businesses can profit by keeping people off health insurance and/or hooked on medications, it's too easy for ethics to go out the window.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts