7 days without a cigarette!

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In 7 more hours I'll have gone a week without a smoke. I finally did it at 5:30PM EST Wednesday November 12, 2008 I quit smoking. I'd love to say I did it on my own and just quit cold turkey, but I didn't quite do it myself. Had the help of Chantix. I tried that a year ago, and it almost worked, but I wasn't nearly as motivated to quit last year and when the three month prescription ran out, stress increased and although I was down to only 4 or 5 cigarettes a day, rapidly went back to about a pack a day.

Two weeks ago I decided to try again, except this time I was determined. I did it like the prescription calls for. First week take the meds on schedule and smoke whatever I wanted. By the end of the first week I had already reduced to half pack a day. Second week I just stopped and let the Chantix do it's thing.

Although it's a bit controversial because of it's known side effects, it really does work and does what it claims to. I no longer have the cravings I did last week. I feel like I could stop taking the drug now and be fine, but I'll finish out the one month prescription just to make sure I don't go back.

I only experienced slight side effects. A slight nausea for maybe 5 to 10 minutes if I took the pill on an empty stomach (if I had eaten, no problem). And it has given me some very bizarre dreams. No nightmares. Just strange dreams I normally wouldn't think of. For example, last night I was promoted to Lieutenant in the navy. *lol I'm almost 50 and never been in the military.

Anyway, if you're seriously considering quitting, talk to your doctor about Chantix. It's only available by prescription anyway.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Schweetness! you made it over the three day hump and then some. I would think that the "vivid and unusual dreams" side effect would totally make it worth taking the medicine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Schweetness! you made it over the three day hump and then some. I would think that the "vivid and unusual dreams" side effect would totally make it worth taking the medicine.

If they are like mine, yes. And makes for fun conversations with friends. But one of the known side effects is actual nightmares.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remind me to send you some cigars; it works wonders for getting your mind off of cigarettes. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I have a couple I meant to smoke before I quit.
  • StarBucks
  • Student
  • Student
  • StarBucks

Post 3+ Months Ago

GREAT STUFF!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know how it is stopping ... Just one thing I am warning you against now, now that you have stopped don't even think you're just going to take a casual drag from someone you know ... that almost screwed it up for one of my friends, he took a drag here and there after about a month after quitting and he started smoking again ... at least he stopped again and learnt his lesson ... I learnt his aswell ... and as this page shows, cigarettes are really addictive.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats on the quitting of smoking.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had to buy a pack of smokes for someone this morning and a guy at the counter said "Those things will kill you". so I told him, "I know that's why I quit 3 years ago, these aren't for me.".
He got this strange look on his face then told his lady friend behind the counter he was going out front to smoke a cigerette. lol

Just wait until you get to the strange dreams you'll have when your body no longer has to expend all of that energy healing itself as much every nite. I constantly find myself wanting to go back to bed just so I can see how these dreams are going to end. People don't say hello to me anymore, they say "Have any strange dreams lately ?" lol
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just digging through old PMs and came across this that I'd said about a dream I had a few months ago.

Quote:
I had a strange dream this morning.

Long story short, the moral of the dream was if you get with one of the Olsen twins the other one will try to trick you.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Logan Echols from Veronica Mars The Series wrote:
And I’d like to be the cream filling of an Olsen Twins sandwich
  • Himanshu_2009
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow there is very nice matter. And full of confidence for quit smoking i will appreciate that.
Moderator Remark: spam removed
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Mark, Congratulations.
  • Limotek
  • Limotek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congratulations mate. Can tell you it's not an easy thing to do. I've given up now for 2.5 months and now I'm starting to not even think about cigarettes.

The first two weeks are definitely the toughest but it does get easier after that.

Not heard of Chantix. What is it and how does it work? I've used Nicorette gum to help me quit and it's worked really well. I'm a bit worried I'm now addicted to the gum but I guess at least I'm not taking in any of the other chemicals in cigarettes.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the easiest way to describe Chantix is that it's a pill/drug that causes some kind of chemical reaction in the brain that actually blocks the urge for the nicotine, unlike Nicorette and other gums and patches that are still providing the nicotine. Right now after only a couple days past a week, I don't really have any urges with the exception of the couple really habitual times like when I first get into my car or after a meal. Normally first thing when I'd wake up would have to have one and would also wake up at least once during the night and have to have one. Now I sleep completely through the night, and never even thought about a cig when I woke up this morning.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my hometown on January first, all restaurants/bars/other places are going entirely non-smoking because of a new city ordinance that forces them to. As former smokers, what is your opinion on that, for it or against it?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think places should be able to apply for a license just like a liquor license that allows them to have people smoking inside.

I think people should be able to smoke if they want, provided the establishment owner approves.

I just think it's funny that even though I'm about 30 pounds overweight at 6'2" 230lbs, I can still outrun a skinny smoker in the long run. I don't want smokers to disapear completely. lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We did the non smoking ban in September. It contributed to one of my reasons for quitting.But I agree with Joe on the licensing thing. Not to mention, they could just enclose an area and make that the smoking area. Whole thing is government shooting itself in it's foot. They legislate no smoking, yet they make tons of money on cigarette tax. Gotta love politics.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much of that tax is used to clean up cigerette butts on the street you think ? :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha makes me think of an episode in "Little Brittain" where smoking was banned everywhere except for a little room somewhere in the country.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of the devil, there was just another tax hike on smokes recently wasn't there ?

How is everyone doing with quitting smoking ?

I'm still not smoking after, uhh, a few years now. :D
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quitting smoking is actually a mind's game.
Get yourself occupied with other stuff and eventually you'll realize you don't want to smoke anymore.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Speaking of the devil, there was just another tax hike on smokes recently wasn't there ?

Yes there was. I forgot to bring a pack with me to work and bought a pack at Union Station in DC. I paid $8.45 for one pack of Marlboro's. They are $4.70 where I live and were $3.30 before the tax hike.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had quit and was doing great for 4 months. Got a little stressed and started back a few weeks ago. I do intend to stop again before summer gets here. Just too much money and I hate the way I feel
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

How is everyone doing with quitting smoking ?

I'm still not smoking after, uhh, a few years now. :D

Will be two years now (On May 1), since I stop and I never felt better in my life.

Actually I can now be with a bunch of people around who smoke and have no problem, I don't have those urges to smoke that I used to have when I tried to quit a few years ago. :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I paid $8.45 for one pack of Marlboro's.

Holy mackeral. I hope you don't smoke two packs a day. :shock:

Quote:
I do intend to stop again before summer gets here

You can inhale plenty of smoke while BBQing :D

Quote:
Actually I can now be with a bunch of people around who smoke and have no problem, I don't have those urges to smoke that I used to have when I tried to quit a few years ago.

I know what you mean. It was just within the last few months that I started being able to go out with everyone and make it through the night without smoking one or two cigerettes after having a few to drink.

I still come close to buying the single black-n-mild cigars when I see them at the store though, but those are how I started up again last time I quit, so I don't want to do that again. :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You quitter :x You quit quitting :lol:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, there's a idea in this and I don't see it right-off from googling - someone else has probably done it though. Cigarette live price tracker, like they've done with gas prices via google maps or whatever.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Hrmm, there's a idea in this and I don't see it right-off from googling - someone else has probably done it though. Cigarette live price tracker, like they've done with gas prices via google maps or whatever.

The problem is that cigarettes don't cost the same at every shop ... It doesn't have a fixed price like gas (petrol), so you'll have to track it per brand per shop.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
The problem is that cigarettes don't cost the same at every shop ... It doesn't have a fixed price like gas (petrol), so you'll have to track it per brand per shop.

In USA Gas costs different per state (Between some states as far as I noticed from my travels) and sometimes per gas station (In the same state).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 56 posts