Death by cotton buds

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently the safest way to clean your ears is with your pinkie. How do you get the gunk out? (True, the gunk is probably imaginary.) And what if you have really long pinkie fingernails like an aging sloth?

According to this report, a guy from Quebec died of complications after puncturing hjs eardrum with cotton swabs.

Trivial things in life, like cleaning those eardrums are sometimes utterly neglected which may sometimes result in dire consequences.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is what's called an 'ear syringe'. Other than that, never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.

http://www.surgicalshop.com/hospital_me ... e_ear.html
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
There is what's called an 'ear syringe'. Other than that, never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.

I must say that comment made me laugh :lol:

I remember going to the hospital when I was 9 to get my ears syringed, Gosh that hurt.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sister uses one of those to get the boogers out of my youngest niece's nose.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found out that my roommate's q-tips shoot flawlessly out of my airsoft gun... at my roommate.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And you could use them first and get lots and lots of gooey ear wax on the end of it, then they would stick when you shoot them at him.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

And light them on fire!

[back on topic]
I never use cotton swabs. I always just use a tissue to get the extra water out of my ears after a shower, but that's about it. I think they're unnecessary other than my use as stated previously.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cleaning your ears is actually a slippery slope. The cleaner your ears are, the more prone you are to notice they're dirty and continue the cycle...
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, cleaning your ears can't be that complicated. I mean you shouldn't in any situation be forcing something into your body.

But yeah, I guess the danger is there. Don't they have a disclaimer on the box?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
I mean you shouldn't in any situation be forcing something into your body.

Well now, I don't know about that 'ey ... There are a few things that come to mind here, one of them being a nice big juicy steak.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive had this debate before with people over cotton buds/q tips. anyone sticking them right into the ear is asking for trouble.
why anyone would want to stick them right in far in the ear is beyond me, i use them all the time and have never needed to do that. weirdo's i tell ya!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
Don't they have a disclaimer on the box?

There is! It says not to put them into your ears. No joke, it really does, look for yourself.

Some of those warning labels are really funny. Like on an electrical extension cord, the warning tag says "FOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE ONLY!" But where else will you use it?
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am I the only person here who does routinely stick cotton swabs in my ears? (I do realize it's really not a good thing to do, of course, but that really hasn't stopped me.) Isn't that what Q-tips are, um, for?

Well, that and mindless craft projects.

spork wrote:
I found out that my roommate's q-tips shoot flawlessly out of my airsoft gun... at my roommate.

And apparently, ammo.

To musik, though: there are PLENTY of reasons why someone would want to stick things in their ears! Have you ever tried it? It feels funny and makes your head feel empty and slightly tickley. Plus, you're ears feel cleaner.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use them too all the time too. they are great. i just cant see why people would want to stick them so far into their ear is beyond me, its weird and surely hurts?!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If my eye doesn't twitch while I'm cleaning my ears, I've not cleaned deep enough.

I only use q-tips after I get out of the shower and still have water in my ears.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was younger I got home from the pool and was trying to get the water out of my ears, so I used a q-tip, long story short I punctured my ear drum. The nurse told me the smallest thing I should stick in my ear is my little finger.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

kcotma wrote:
Like on an electrical extension cord, the warning tag says "FOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE ONLY!"

Haha that's pretty good. I guess there are some things that really just don't make any sense when it comes to commercial products. Actually there's probably a lot of things come to think of it.

And I can't believe that q-tips have a disclaimer that says not to use in the ears. I mean what else do you use q-tips for really?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been cleaning my ear canals with q-tips for probably 20 years & I've never injured myself.

I have exceptional selective hearing.
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use them in my ears and I have to say it feels great
and they look disgusting when im done
so I figure its worth it
I never stick them far though...im always careful about that...
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it pleasurable (i mean sticking something in your ears other than cleaning)? I remember a dorm mate during university days use to have a feather with him. I dont get it but these South Vietnam guy says twirling a bird feather your ears will bring you to pleasure high. how true? This guy do even have a major in Public Health Development.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe it has to do with nerve endings in the inner ear, though I can't find very much information about it.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF: ouchies!!

joe: :lol: great selective hearing, heh

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts